On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 16:27:01 +0200, Peter Oberparleiter
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Michael MacIsaac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Is there any way to extract/dump the parameters in
> > /boot/zipl/bootmap?
>
> Yes, there is, but the question is: why would you want to? The bootmap
> format is only used internally by zipl, i.e. it can change without
> notice, therefore you shouldn't rely on its contents.

Easy... you want to see that the planned update to the boot record has
indeed been done, or to verify that nobody installed a new kernel to
be booted next time. Comparing timestamps is of no use since a
different configuration file and command line parameters could have
been used.

We have a similar issue in z/VM with SALIP that is used to make the
IPL record point to a new nucleus. I only had to forget that once (and
run out of the maintenance window due to the confusion and extra IPL)
before I wrote some code that reveals the current setting in the IPL
record.

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij                  rvdheij @ gmail.com