David Boyes wrote:
We're just starting from different assumptions, I guess. I have no
problems working on a TTY linemode console, because that's what I assume
the lowest common denominator is, and I rarely use or need the setup
tools.  It's a PITA, but then it's only a problem long enough to get a
network adapter temporarily configured and working. *Then* I do the
permanent fix -- preferably from someplace warmer than the machine room
and from a real VDT with cursor motion.

I'm glad this works for you.  I can do that to, if I want to continue
being the handful that can support the box.  I honestly recognize your
points and see the validity in them, but anything short of what I'm
asking for will continue to leave us 5 SA's as the only SA's for this
platform.  My average Unix SA's around me expect to be able to use vi,
and most of them have no clue what to do without it.  As for manually
doing the ifconfig, fine and dandy, as long as they can get to the man
page for it.  They're use to Solaris and HP, they aren't going to know
the linux syntax and device names without a reference... which at home
in the middle of the night on-call they won't have readily.

So my assumptions of what makes an adequate terminal console is one
where the SA's can do just about everything they'll want to from right
there.  Edit files with vi, ping a host and control-c out of it, bash
and ksh shell history navigation keys, the TUI form of Yast, etc etc.
Without that, it won't get adopted by the rest of Unixdom, at least not
here.  Most of these admins have never seen a mainframe, let alone have
any idea how to deal with one.  It's not just that they want to be
ignorant, there's also the cost of training them to do something
differently.  They need to be able to do console work the way they
always have, simple as that.

I know this must sound like a bunch of useless whining to those of you
at home with the way things are now, and it's why most of this goes
unsaid for so very very long.  But if we ever want the average Unix
admin to be able to work on these boxes comfortably, they need a console
that is familiar.  While my whining is partially motivated by my own
dislike of 3270, it's mostly motivated by the huge wall it has made for
my fellow workers.  "Sure, I'd love to work on Linux," they say... until
they see the console, "No thanks, Brandon."  And with management not
willing to force them to take training because it costs... we end up
with the same few old folks supporting it.

I can't be the only shop that has this problem, can I?