From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Paul Dembry
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:00 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Suse S390 help?

> I only use 3390-3 emulated DASD on Hercules. Who knows, some day I might
> actually be able to get a z/Linux system on my work zSeries machine. It
> would be "nice" to just backup my Hercules disk images in some manner
> which would allow them to be restored on real zSeries DASD and IPL'ed.
> Again, I'm weird.
Hmm perhaps SUSE s390 has a problem with a 3390-9 (> 2GB?). Seems odd but
I'll try it again. On my last try, I looked around before starting yast. I
found fdasd and I used it to create my partitions, eg

fdasd /dev/dasda
fdasd /dev/dasdb

I then started the yast install procedure. The System Information section
found my drives as usual and also showed the partitions. But when I got to
the actual install, it still insisted that it could not create a partition
proposal and when I opened up the partitioning section, my partitions were
not there. Perhaps a clue. Anyway I'll try with a smaller system DASD and
see what happens. Once I get this to work, I would next like to get LVM to
work as well. Thanks for all the help! If I can just get past this point, I
think I will have it installed. Centos was nice but neither Oracle nor DB2
install on it. BTW are you running S390 or S390x SUSE?
Paul