From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Stahr, Lea
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 1:11 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Distribution ages, was: Linux version

MFT, MVT, then VS1.I was DOS/VS. Installed CICS 1.0 macro level to
replace BTAM stuff like 40407F7F2D....OLDER THAN THE HILLS. My new
360/30 had a DISK drive (no more TOS). DFHPCT, DFHPPT, DFHFCT, DFHTCT
etc in CICS.

We had a very buggy BTAM application written to APS[1] (Australian
Public Service) standards. I don't think anyone else followed them, and
it was wholly incompatible with TCAM (no VTAM yet), though I think  I
could write a bridge now. I got it working well enough to determine that
the network (we had remote terminals) was never going to support enquiry
traffic, it was way too slow.

Later, we revisited the application and I chose to write using EXCP because:
1. BTAM didn't offer a lot.
2. Our real terminals emulated ASCII 3270s.
3. Our test terminals were real EBCDIC 3270s.
4. Supporting both code sets was easy using EXCP, not so using BTAM.

It was very educational.

[1] This was my introduction to communications. I was a raw CSO1, the
technical expert was a CSO4. I didn't really like to bother him with my
trivial problems. There's a lesson there for management everywhere.

Oh, the test environment was someone else's 168 running MVS, the
production environment our 145 with VS1.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait