We actually opened an issue with IBM over this.  Here's what I got back:

Action Taken...: The ethtool utility is not supported with all device
drivers as noted in the man page. It's very typical that for an
gigabit NIC (especially a fiber connection) will not have a valid
speed reported or no speed reported at all. To some degree it makes a
bit of sense as a gigabit card is exactly that, 1GB. That is you can't
tell a 1GB FIBER card to run at 10MB. Granted what gets reported by
ethtool (really what th device driver is returning is mis-leading).

Here is another example .. a very simple Tigon3 GB NIC, note the
speed it reported as Unknown!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ FIBRE ]
        Supported link modes:   1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: Unknown! (0)
        Duplex: Half
        Port: FIBRE

mii-tool is only valid for mii compatable NIC cards.

If the goal is to do some performance testing, then the best method
is to use the netperf tools. ( see http://www.netperf.org) Another
simple test is using dd and ftp, for example:

# ftp <hostname_of_server>
ftp> bin
ftp> put "| dd if=/dev/zero bs=32k count=10000" /dev/null

Using either of these tools should confirm that the NICS are
transfering far faster the 10MB.

So in other words, the gigabit OSA can only run at a gigabit, the tools
are useless for this application, and the only way to be sure about the
throughput is to measure it.