>>> On 1/28/2009 at  9:04 PM, Richard Troth <vmcow...@gmail.com> wrote:
-snip-
> We had to assume that every step had to be walked
> through, and the distributors don't specifically support this idea
> (yet).

Yes and no.  While it's not an officially supported configuration, the release
notes for SLES10 document how to do it on Intel/AMD.  (Not sure why it isn't
part of the System z release notes.)

Read-Only Root Filesystem
     It is possible to run SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 from Service Pack 2
on on a read-only
     root filesystem. Due to the huge number of possible configurations,
     this is currently not a supported scenario.

     The /tmp and /var/tmp
     directories needs to be on a seperate partition and cannot be
     mounted read-only.

    After the installation has finished and all services are configured,
    login as root and do the following modifications:
     Modify /etc/fstab and add "ro" to the mount
     options of the root filesystem entry.

   rm /etc/mtab
   ln -s /proc/mounts /etc/mtab
   mkdir /var/lib/hwclock
   mv /etc/adjtime /var/lib/hwclock
   ln -s /var/lib/hwclock/adjtime /etc/adjtime
   # the following two steps are only necessary if you use dhcp:
   mv /etc/resolv.conf /var/lib/misc/
   ln -s /var/lib/misc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
   # Now mount root filesystem read-only and reboot
   mount -o remount,ro /
   reboot