Hi, Horst.

Yes, that's a good approach and it does work well. The main problem is that many sites will not allow access to the HMC by mere mortal system programmers. :-)

I believe IBM is working on a piece of Linux software that will allow ASCII (SSH) logons to z/VM Linux guests that do not have networking available, using the IUCV device driver. to drive the Linux console interface from another Linux guest that does have networking up. I haven't heard anything about when such a capability will be available, though.

Rempel, Horst wrote:
Hello Tom, since I have z/VM 5.4.0 running on our z9 I prefer to use the
SYSASCII
console. SYSASCII is a JAVA emulation for a ASCII console. You can use VI
editor to
change files, YAST to customize your linux and Ctrl+C. I really like this
possibility.

I do 'attach sysa to lx100', then start the SYSASCII on the HMC, and press
enter. After
that I see the lx100 login screen. And this works without any active
networkadapter in
the linux.

kind regards, mit freundlichen Grüßen, Horst Rempel BG-Chemie Germany

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von: Linux on 390 Port
[mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] Im Auftrag von Tom Duerbusch Gesendet:
Mittwoch, 28.
Januar 2009 19:58 An: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU Betreff: Good editor for under
the 3270
console interface

I know this topic has been discussed, but looking thru the archives, I keep
finding