On Sep 11, 2009, at 10:36 AM, Larry Uher wrote:

I guess my question would be why is a complex EXEC needed to do a
normal system administration task?  A second question is why didn't
Novell provide a straightforward method for doing this and document it
in a manual (without using a complex 3rd party EXEC) ?

Complex?

After the description and the license and update comment blocks, it's
about 240 lines.  Of those, about 120 are the various ways the program
can exit (with descriptive text) and the help message.  That leaves
about 120 lines of actual code, and those lines are not dense (e.g.
one line per pipe stage).  That handles both the raw FBA and the DIAG
device cases.

It's not a normal system administration task on any other Linux
architecture.  It's really quite unusual for your swap device to be
destroyed and recreated every time you power on the machine.  In the
normal case the swap signature sits there between power cycles.
That's why Dave and I wrote the thing in the first place--Linux does
not generally consider needing to format the swap device as part of
its normal bootup routine and rather than mess with system startup
scripts and their ordering, we thought it was a lot easier to just
take care of it in CMS before handing control to Linux, so that the
swap device was pre-prepared like it expected.

And that, by the way, is the reason Novell doesn't do it: it's not a
task that's necessary on other architectures, and Novell, not
surprisingly, likes to keep as much the same between platforms as
possible.

Adam