Dave Jones writes:
> Thanks, Alan, that's what I wanted to know....we still treat these
> blades as "distributed" servers, only they're connected to the z via a
> secure, fast, internal network. Excellent.

But wait, there's more...
Once a blade is purchased and entitled to be put in the zBX, as soon
as it's put in the zBX it becomes part of the "z world". Assuming
there's the usual z hardware support in place from IBM, the support
immediately changes to 24x7 for the blade, it integrates into the
"call home" mechanism of the box, it's monitored and watched just
like any other z component and if anything goes wrong the usual
z CE comes out and does the repair/replacement. Similarly, all
firmware/hypervisor changes are done via the z HMC in the same way
as, for example, channel cards, crypto cards and so on.

I've already heard of one customer that's considering adding a zBX
to a coupling-facility-only footprint (even though there's going to be
no app data connectivity between the z196 and the zBX) purely to get
the benefits of moving that level of management of the blade estate
into the arena of z technology and z support.

Oh, and when the zBX is installed, it doesn't just get dumped at the
data centre door by the truck driver (as I'm told some blade chassis
arrive)--it counts as "z" and so the full installation gets done in
the same way as other z hardware.

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie
Mainframe Systems and Software Business, Europe