I was reminded off-list by someone who knows WAS better than I do that
unzipping of JAR files renders content sharing moot.  Sad, but true.
JIT does the same thing.

So ... I am a huge fan of XIP, and we should all use it more.  But we
still have "opportunities" in all application areas.

Even when the sharing is hindered, using DCSS for filesystems is a
great advantage.  VM can manage the storage.  Then if you have content
in a DCSS backed filesystem which can utilize mmap(), XIP comes into
play and makes things just that much better.

Rick Troth
Velocity Software
http://www.velocitysoftware.com/