And for extra credit, you could run the z/VM on Hercules on an x86 box :)

Douglas

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Rick
Troth
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:11 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] Oracle under z/VM without Linux?

On 02/16/2017 07:46 AM, Paul Flint wrote:
> I am going out on a limb here and suggesting that Mantissa somehow
> compiled something like ReactOS?

Mantissa figured out a way to run X86 (32-bit and 64-bit) binaries and
operating systems on top of z/VM. (ReactOS, Windows, Linux, *BSD, anything)

Looks pretty slick. Based on what they've leaked on this and other email
lists, they leverage CP services and functions to optimize the
capabilities of the underlying z hardware. They've been wowing people at
SHARE and other conferences for at least the past 5 years. I have not
heard if they actually released a salable product or if anyone has
purchased, trialed, or beta tested.

A somewhat slower performer would be to port BOCHS to CMS and run your
Windoze systems on that.

-- R; <><