I am having a really weird issue on one of the z redhat systems. Probably
it doesn't have anything to do with Z but we have some great minds here so
perhaps someone will help me

the "df -h" or "df -P"  command doesn't work when run as a normal user.
"df" on it's own works fine.

Error:
df: cannot read table of mounted file systems: Permission denied

Now, here is when it gets really strange. Above suggests wrong permissions
on /etc/mtab which are fine:
[root@it069qz5ora lib64]# ls -la /etc/mtab
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2024 Apr 17 10:44 /etc/mtab

But the "df -h" is trying to open that file with WRITE access mode !!!
strace df -h 2>&1 |grep open  | grep mtab
open("/etc/mtab", O*_RDWR*|O_CLOEXEC)     = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)

On all other systems"df -h" opens that mtab file in O_RDONLY. Why this one
is different?

And as I said, regular "df" works fine and it usies O_RDONLY flag.

So the problem happens only with "df -h" or "df -P" . That doesn't make any
sense to me.

Has anyone seen anything like that?

thanks!
Gregory