But according to the datasheets, upgrading, say, an H06 to an H13
"requires planned down time", so if you started small and then want to
grow, the only feasible (non-down-time) upgrade path is to buy a 2nd
mainframe, which, as you point out "won't scale painlessly".

With a COTS based system, you work with a cluster configuration from the
start (without requiring additional licenses), and have a rather more
granular and disruption-free upgrade path.
And because it is designed from the ground up as a cluster, it is
designed to be maintainable WHILE WORKING.  Replacing any hardware
component of the cluster (ECC memory, CPU, I/O board, main board,
network component, rack, ...) can be done while the system is running.

So there isn't really any *functional* advantage to using a mainframe.
The question is whether you want to be running a cluster of, say, 2 - 5
mainframes, or, say, 10 - 500 COTS boxen.  I.e. "what do you want to
spend your money on".

And no, you should not then have a bunch of sysadmins running around
manually managing those 500 COTS boxen.  That's supposed to be automated...

WFK