Of course.  You should budget things properly or you're not doing your
job.  Network hardware, power control, redundancy, etc, should all be
taken into consideration.  And to some extent, the IBM maintenance
contract needs to be replaced with man power to repair/replace broken
parts as & when needed.  However, I suspect that if you do, you will
find that it still easily fits within a comparable overall budget.

I don't have numbers to do a sensible comparison of the power
consumption.  Foot print for COTS is likely somewhat bigger, but that is
generally not a major concern these days.  Space is cheap, power &
cooling is not.

Generally, I would expect that, in most organizations, other
considerations (contracts, personnel, politics, legacy) will play a
larger role in the decision of Mainframe vs COTS, before things like
functional differences, plain !/$, or environment.

WFK