On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 04:32:49PM -0200, Leonardo Sampaio Cardoso wrote:
> Alistair Riddoch wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 03:26:24PM -0200, Leonardo Sampaio Cardoso wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello guys. I have just finished my 8086 minimal board (for the
> > > microprocessor class) and I want to get elks running on it. I would like
> > > to know the minimum ram and rom needed to get that done. It has a 8251
> > > serial interface, a 8255 parallel interface, a 8253 timer and a 8259
> > > pic. Any ideas? Suggestions?
> > >

> > As an absolute minimum I think you need 64K of RAM and 64K of ROM to build
> > a system that will allow you to run a couple of apps. If you want to
> > be able to log in and run a shell, you will need a filesytem. In this
> > case in addition to the 64K kernel ROM you will need 128K or so
> > of filesystem ROM, and probably 128K of RAM. The rest of the chips you have
> > in mind sound fine.
> >
> > Al
>
> First of all thanks for answering :)
>
> I was also thinking about a 128K x 8 flash memory I found in a defective
> motherboard. Does that make a reasonable File system?

Sounds fine, but I don't know much about programming Flash devices. From a
conversation I has a short while ago, I think Simon Wood is familiar with
Programming Flash within ELKS, and has written the SIBO SSD driver that writes
to and reads from serial flash devices, which I expect is very different.

Al