Alistair Riddoch wrote:

> Sounds fine, but I don't know much about programming Flash devices. From a
> conversation I has a short while ago, I think Simon Wood is familiar with
> Programming Flash within ELKS, and has written the SIBO SSD driver that writes
> to and reads from serial flash devices, which I expect is very different.
>
> Al

Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to this list having joined up only a couple of days ago. Knowing
more about the hardware in computers than linux as yet (sorry guys but I know a
hell of a lot more about DOS and Windoze) this thread on a minimal 8086 board has
particularly caught my attention and I'd like to throw in my 2 cents' worth.

In any case you're going to need some form of RAM even if it's just for your
system variables. SRAM is by far the easiest to implement on a board as you don't
have to fuss about refreshing and strobe timing like you do with DRAM. Why not
just have a bit more, say 256Kb in all, and have a RAM-Disk? Flash memory does
have the advantage of not losing its content when you power down, but you must
bear in mind that it is relatively slow and also that you can only write to it a
certain number of times before it starts becoming "amnesic".

BTW, what keyboard (8042?) and video (6845?) interfaces are you thinking of using?

Godwin.