>> However, if I then connect my parallel port floppy drive to lpt1 and put in a
>> DOS 5 disk, then sys a: the DOS 5 system files into a: and reboot, the card
is
>> not recognized as a boot disk.

> this may be caused by the fact that you need to start DOS 5 to run its sys.exe
> utility (doesn't it complain?).  and you won't be able to start DOS 5 if you
> haven't got a SRAM card with DOS 5 on it.  If this is the problem, I see no
easy
> way out of this loop.

First posting, so appologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Personally I would use the full form of the sys command and specify its path:
<Drive>:\dos\sys <Drive containing Dos 5 system files> <Drive you want to make
bootable>
(Check the man^H^H^Hhelp page on that)

You may have some success with attrib, del and copy on io.sys, msdos.sys and
command.com, to swap Dos 3.3 files for Dos 5 files, but that's a pain.