Linux-Advocacy Digest #263, Volume #27           Thu, 22 Jun 00 22:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: It's all about the microsurfs ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: What UNIX is good for. ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: What UNIX is good for. ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Microsoft Ruling Too Harsh (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Why Jeff Szarka Has Zero Credibility When He Claims Problems With   Linux (Jeff
Szarka)
  Re: What UNIX is good for.
  Re: Why Jeff Szarka Has Zero Credibility When He Claims Problems With Linux (Jeff
Szarka)
  Certification? (Sean LeBlanc)
  Re: Linux is awesome!
  Re: It's all about the microsurfs (Gary Hallock)
  Re: What UNIX is good for.
  Re: Processing data is bad!
  Re: Stupid idiots that think KDE is a Window Manager
  Re: Wintrolls in panic! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: It's all about the microsurfs (Gary Hallock)
  Re: It's all about the microsurfs
  Re: It's all about the microsurfs
  Re: Why Jeff Szarka Has Zero Credibility When He Claims Problems With Linux
  Re: High School is out...here come the trolls...who can't accept the  future.
("Davorin Mestric")
  Re: High School is out...here come the trolls...who can't accept the future.
("Davorin Mestric")
  Re: Number of Linux Users (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Number of Linux Users (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: High School is out...here come the trolls...who can't accept the future.
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Processing data is bad! (Aaron Kulkis)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: It's all about the microsurfs
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:51:59 GMT

But my point is that people are buying them up like crazy.
Converting these folks to Linux is near impossible, unless they are
willing to replace some of their hardware.

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: What UNIX is good for.
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:52:45 -0400

Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:

> "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > > Because you are a geek.....
> > >
> > > And I can produce 100 secrateries that can produce fantastic
> > > presentations, embedded video/audio and so forth with Powerpoint while
> > > you are still figuring out how to get latex to work with the overhead
> > > projector.
> >
> > I suspect that a touch typist who knows TeX would produce TeX
> > documents in less time than Powerpoint presentations.
> >
> > Colin Day
> >
> I have to ask, why would anyone attempt to get TeX to work with an overhead?
> You use a TeX macro package like foiltex or slitex if you want to produce

Or use documentclass slides in LATeX or just magstep4 in AMS-TeX.

> overhead transparencies, and if you really need the "slick" look of
> PowerPoint, you use something like StarOffice (IMHO light years ahead of MS
> Office) or KOffice.

How well do any of these display math? Hint: I teach math.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:53:58 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Quite possibly, but first you have to find one.

Actually, I might still be able to do it faster. And how easily
can one display math in Powerpoint?

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To:
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,misc.legal,talk.politics.misc,alt.politics.libertarian,talk.politics.libertarian,alt.politics.economics
Subject: Re: Microsoft Ruling Too Harsh
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:58:46 GMT

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:40:20 GMT, Bob Hauck
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>1.  The author starts with the premise that "social choice" is the

s/"social choice"/"public choice"/g

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Jeff Szarka Has Zero Credibility When He Claims Problems With   Linux
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:56:32 -0400

On 22 Jun 2000 20:34:21 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 16:14:48 -0400, Jeff Szarka wrote:
>
>>>The _latest_ versions of redhat (6.0 - 6.2) are buch better re: hardware
>>>detection. Try one, instead of a 3 year old version.
>>

>>Uh... I tried this one 2-3 years ago.
>
>I guess you were ahead of your time. Redhat 6.0 was released April 1999

I was talking about Redhat 5.2

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Date: 22 Jun 2000 21:01:15 -0400

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:40:34 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Steven Smolinski wrote:
>>
>> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >At 1/10th the diskspace footprint.
>>
>> [...and another skirmish in the editor wars begins...]
>>
>> Let's compare apples and apples:
>>
>> % ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/gvim
>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      1748896 Nov  8  1999 /usr/X11R6/bin/gvim
>> % ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/xemacs
>> -rwxr-xr-t   1 root     root      4128816 Nov  8  1999 /usr/X11R6/bin/xemacs
>> %
>>
>> That's 42% the footprint compared binary-to-binary (without the extensions).
>>
>> Hey, I use and like them both.  Can't we all just get along?
>>
>> Steve
>
>Steve, you're truly humor-impaired.
>

>by the way, why not do a comparision of jsut plain old
>vi or vim, and emacs.

$ ls -l `which emacs` `which vim` `which vi`

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      3269672 Jun 13 15:34 /usr/bin/emacs
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root      1499520 Jul 27  1999 /usr/bin/vim
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root            8 Feb 18 20:14 /bin/vi -> /bin/nvi

$ ls -l /bin/nvi

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root       333156 Feb 18 20:14 /bin/nvi

Vim is not that much smaller than EMACS, but NVI (a clone of BSD VI) is
quite small.

------------------------------

From: Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:57:57 -0400

On 23 Jun 2000 08:17:06 +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry
Porter) wrote:

>>"hangup on install, scsi problem?"
>Did you email them, and find out what they did ?

I don't care what they did. Mandrake 7 would not install on my system
unless I used the expert install mode. This data makes it clear... you
must be an expert to install Linux.

------------------------------

Subject: Certification?
From: Sean LeBlanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:10:15 GMT

Anyone here who has gotten a cert (LPI, RHCE, etc)?
I see there is a book coming out in Sep about LPI, and
there is one published last December covering quite a few
of them, how is that one? Any tips/pointers on passing?

Thanks,
Sean LeBlanc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux is awesome!
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:15:36 GMT

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:25:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On 23 Jun 2000 03:32:48 +1000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>>>On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 13:06:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
[deletia]
>>I was thinking more in terms of lower level stuff --- If I don't like
>>the keyboard bindings an installation comes with, I simply change
>>them.  If I don't like the way the keyboard is handled, I change
>>it. If the latest version of the scanner driver software, when
>>installed on a particular machine, claims I have no scanner, I track
>>it down to a typo in the legacy code designed to handle outdated
>>kernels, and fix it. When I write a program that manages to monopolize
>>the CPU when run by an ordinary user, I look at why this happens,
>>change it, and send a bug report to the kernel maintainers.
>

>This is good stuff for you, and anyone else talented enough to do the
>same but my arguments apply to average folks and most can barely
>figure out how to find their own files :)

        However, they benefit from the result assuming they are
        capable of even exploiting a particular device due to
        their own inability or unwillingess to learn to.

[deletia]

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:17:02 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I see 3505/1403/3525 in a sentence in any group other than computer
> antiques and let's tell war stories, and I ignore it.
>
> It's hysterical though to see Linonuts orgasming over this stuff. I'm
> surprised you haven't had requests for a couple of them for some High
> School on a budget interested in running Linux.

You have a very short memory.  It was you who was bragging about your knowledge
about these old devices.  I mentioned them in response to your post.   You are
right - it is hysterical!!

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Date: 22 Jun 2000 21:09:48 -0400

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 07:55:11 -0500, Jonathan Fosburgh
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> > Because you are a geek.....
>> >
>> > And I can produce 100 secrateries that can produce fantastic
>> > presentations, embedded video/audio and so forth with Powerpoint
>> > while you are still figuring out how to get latex to work with
>> > the overhead projector.
>>
>> I suspect that a touch typist who knows TeX would produce TeX
>> documents in less time than Powerpoint presentations.
>>
>> Colin Day
>>
>I have to ask, why would anyone attempt to get TeX to work with
>an overhead?

I have seen an LCD transparent color monitor before. The user put
it on an overhead projector, and by doing so was able to project
a computer's display onto a large screen.

This was in 1993.  The monitor plugged into an Apple IIgs. Today,
the projector would be built into the monitor.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Processing data is bad!
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:19:01 GMT

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:56:01 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>In relation to Windows or a Mac but you already knew that didn't you.
>Typical Linonut semantic games to diffuse the subject.

        Know he doesn't "know that". He knows better than that.

>Linux gui looks like shit when displaying say Corel Office. Real boxy
>looking.
>
>Sure the themes look good but the applications look like shit.

        My Type 1 fonts work well enough. Corel Office is merely
        a Win32 app that's been shoehorned onto Linux. It's hardly
        a useful comparison.

[deletia]
>>> Linux gui looks like crap....
>>
>>Suppose I say that a Porsche looks like crap....
>>
>>      What relevance is such a statement?
>>

>>Answer: NONE.

        IOW: my view is the only valid view. I am a Lemming and you
        will be assimilated.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Stupid idiots that think KDE is a Window Manager
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:19:29 GMT

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:53:29 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:15:36 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>> Open /dev via kfm and time how long it takes for the gear to stop
>>> spinning.......
>>
>>Why bother with ancient software? Open it with konqueror and you can't
>>time it. or open it with kruiser and you can't time it.
>
>Because kfm comes with the stock distribution. I can get better file

        So will krusier.

>managers for Windows also, but I benchmarked stock Windows against
>stock Linux, and it ain't even close.

[deletia]

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Wintrolls in panic!
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:08:40 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 2:1 wrote:
> >
> > > But I really, really would like to know what makes
> > > a wintroll a wintroll!
> > >
> > > Why do they STILL insist on touting Microsoft!
> > >
> > > What could possibly keep a person going on the Microsoft
> > > bandwagon?  What could it be?
> >
> > BECAUSE LINSUX SUXX AND ALL LINSUX CAN DO IS SHUFFAL TEXT FIALS ALL
DAY
> > AND I CANT EVEN WORK OUT HOW TO USE THE CAPSLOCK KEY NEVER MIND
> > SOMETHING AS USEFUL AS A COMMANDLINE
>
> Uh.. What's a capslock key?

This was a superb Palmer parody, horrendous spelling and all.

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:23:17 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Again who other than back room geeks care?
>
> I run Intel.
> Some may run Mac.
> Some S/390 (ESA/VM MVS/xa etc)
> Some AS/400.
>
> The vast majority of the users in the world are desktop users. They
> run one OS with the exception of possibly programmer geeks, a small,
> very small percentage of the population.
>
> So Linux is multiplatform, big deal. Compared to the number of desktop
> users out there you can lump all of the systems that Linux runs on
> together and it won't even make a dent in the total number of users,
> most of which are using Windows.
>
> How many 9672's did IBM sell last year. I know, do you?
>
> The local PC shop in town sold more desktops, all running Windows
> BTW...

You are missing the big picture (why should that surprise me?).   Linux provides
a common environment for all of the major platforms.  That makes it much nicer
and more user friendly when customers have to move between platforms.     I
don't think you realize how many desktops run Unix of one form or another.
Just ask Intel what they use (hint - it's not x86).

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:24:42 GMT

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:51:29 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:11:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:51:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>>The current HP Pavillion and Compaq Internet pc's advertised on TV
>>>(you know the $899.00 model) have Winmodems and Win printers.
>>

>>      The HP comes with a PCL3 printer. It's hard to say what
>>      exactly the thing that comes with those Compaq's is.
>
>The one I saw said it worked with Windows (I checked the model against

        ...they all say they work with Windows. The Hauppauge WinTV
        401 even has "Win" in it's title but I am watching dragnet
        on it under Linux as I type this.

>the standalone printers for sale). I suspect it is a PCL printer that
>requires a Win level of software. Other HP printers actually said
>NT/Win2k and Mac on the box.

        You just failed to scratch beneath the very surface of the situation
        as usual...

[deletia]
>Suffice to say, take a stroll through CompUSA one evening and take a
>gander for yourself. You will discover several things:
>
>1. It is difficult to determine what peripheral hardware is installed
>as far as brand name.

        That must be great for people who care about things like
        network performance and 3D rendering benchmarks.

>2. You will spend time searching for the boxed versions of such
>hardware in the store to determine exactly what it is you are buying.

        Unless you don't want to end up with a dud, you will do that
        either way. That's merely the result of bothering to attempt
        to make informed choices.

>It is very confusing.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:26:19 GMT

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 00:51:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>But my point is that people are buying them up like crazy.
>Converting these folks to Linux is near impossible, unless they are
>willing to replace some of their hardware.

        Quite often, that cost may be no more than the cost of
        a cheap Linux distro, or a Windows upgrade, or a SMALL
        portion of an msoffice upgrade.

[deletia]

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:37:05 GMT

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:57:57 -0400, Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 23 Jun 2000 08:17:06 +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry
>Porter) wrote:
>
>>>"hangup on install, scsi problem?"
>>Did you email them, and find out what they did ?
>
>I don't care what they did. Mandrake 7 would not install on my system
>unless I used the expert install mode. This data makes it clear... you
>must be an expert to install Linux.

        The "expert" install of Mandrake isn't horribly complex either.
        Infact, such an install is rather more like a 'standard' Win9x
        install.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Davorin Mestric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: High School is out...here come the trolls...who can't accept the  future.
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 03:31:33 +0200

well, that number is obviously wrong.

------------------------------

From: "Davorin Mestric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 03:40:47 +0200

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 17:14:15 +0200, Davorin Mestric
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> EMOVEX> wrote:
> >
> >well, linvocates claim linux is 'better' than other os-es, but they also
> >claim linux has 30% desktop share, so...
>
> ...care to actually back that up with a citation?

sure.  Mark S. Bilk wrote:

"In the business world, Linux market share is probably 30% --
one hundred times the .3% figure repeatedly posted by our
resident liar, Steve/Mike/Simon (for which he never gives
a reference)."

then later he also wrote:

"One year ago, when KDE and Gnome, along with hardware and
installation support, were much less developed than they
are now, Linux was already in use on the desktop/workstation
computers of 10% of all businesses.  The figure may now
be 30%, if the managers planning to switch to Linux have
followed through. "

    so, when you ask linux fanatics, it is 30%.  But when you actually
count, it is 0.3%.  so, who do we trust?

    i got this 0.3% from www.thecounter.com/stats

davorin

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Number of Linux Users
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:59:03 -0400

Leonardo wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Drestin Black wrote:
> > >
> > > "Michael Born" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> over.

> over."?
> > > >

> > > And what if the portion of the marketshare that Linux "takes over" is
> that
> > > share that once belonged to other Unixes and the Mac and "Others" - it's
> > > definately not taking over any of the NT share.
> >

> > Then how come it has been stealing marketshare from NT in the webserver
> > department?
> >

> Not true. Proove it!

28% of the web servers on Linux machines, most of those being
recycled LoseDows boxes....which, if put on new equipment, most
likely would have been on LoseNT  (Any company with a budge would
have put the servers on Suns or HP's from the get-go).

> > Hmmmmmmmmm?
> >

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >
> > H:  Knackos...you're a retard.
> >
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> > B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.
> >
> > C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
> >    sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
> >    that she doesn't like.
> >
> > D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> > E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (D) above.
> >
> > F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
> >    response until their behavior improves.
> >
> > G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 21:59:37 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Drestin Black wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> over??!!

> at
> > > work

> > > and you have no sense of humor
> > >
> > > and that extended silliness below your signature proves what to us?? <;)
> >

> > I post in other newgroups.
> >
> > The signature is pre-emptive strikes against idiots.
> >
> > Bucking for your own entry?
>
> learn to reply and NOT repeat that rediculous sig again.

make me

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:00:37 GMT

The Linonuts will probobly say they don't browse the web, or they use
anonymizer or such to disguise their OS. As if Windows folks don't do
the same or similar.

They (the Linonuts) can't seem to face the facts, that whether it is
.3 percent or 3 percent or 13 percent, they are so far behind Windows
in total market share, it is not even close.

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 03:40:47 +0200, "Davorin Mestric"

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:02:34 -0400

> In relation to Windows or a Mac but you already knew that didn't you.
> Typical Linonut semantic games to diffuse the subject.
>
> Linux gui looks like shit when displaying say Corel Office. Real boxy
> looking.

So, by your logic, you would choose a pane of glass with bubbles,
stains, impurities, and other shit, as long as the curtains around
it look nicer...

Case closed

you're a moron.

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.