From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Linux Experience
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:21:29 -0700

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
Truetype

Result? A

> >>Better answer: "Don't get desperate, and wait 3 minutes until init stops
> >>respawining xdm".
> >
> > Or better yet:
> > Execute that well known "three finger salute".
> > Wait for the machine to power cycle.
> > Enter "linux 3" at the LILO prompt.
>
> In a fast computer with a quirky video that can be pretty hard to do,
> if xdm is cycling quick.

When making modifications to X, the best way is to use a little foresight
and boot into a non-X runlevel, and use startx to fire X up.  If X dies you
are back into your normal command line environment.  From there attempt
repairs and fire up X with startx again and repeat as many times as needed.

By the time xdm is cycling quickly the error of lack of foresight has
already been made.  I don't hold the neophyte too much at fault for this
lack of planning, I hold the person providing her the advice at fault for
the lion's share of the errors.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 19:42:41 -0300

someone else had said:

>the

>> > Or better yet:
>> > Execute that well known "three finger salute".
>> > Wait for the machine to power cycle.
>> > Enter "linux 3" at the LILO prompt.
>>
>> In a fast computer with a quirky video that can be pretty hard to do,
>> if xdm is cycling quick.
>
>When making modifications to X, the best way is to use a little foresight
>and boot into a non-X runlevel, and use startx to fire X up.  If X dies you
>are back into your normal command line environment.  From there attempt
>repairs and fire up X with startx again and repeat as many times as needed.
>
>By the time xdm is cycling quickly the error of lack of foresight has
>already been made.  I don't hold the neophyte too much at fault for this
>lack of planning, I hold the person providing her the advice at fault for
>the lion's share of the errors.

Sure. I was just giving an example of how to better handle this specific
situation. I have seen some panick at the flashing xdm syndrome. And I often
see wrong advice on how to handle it "turn it off and do a linux single", or
"reinstall it, you're screwed" ;-)

In tech support issues a little calm takes you a long way.

--
Roberto Alsina (who has done too much tech support for his own good)

------------------------------

From: Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 22:48:00 +0100

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.misc Brian V. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: Really?  Which ones were those that came with the source code?
>
>BSD
>Perhaps the original AT&T UNIX as well?

And, just to stretch the point, didn't Tenex and ITS come with the "source code"
on punched cards?  :o)

--
Garry Knight

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:42:34 -0400
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin
Subject: Re: "Real Unix" Vs Linux

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In comp.unix.admin Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > What's prerelease about KDE 1.1.2?
>
> From the KDE-1.1.2 Press Release:
>
> "Practically all Linux and *BSD distributions are
> expected to incorporate KDE 1.1.2 in future releases."

That press release is a year old.

> They don't as yet. This means they're incorporating an earlier, less stable
> version, and from my experience of KDE & GNOME (& linux generally) it's
> less stable than NT.
>
> Nothing personal - just my opinion. This isn't aimed at the KDE developers -
> it's aimed at people like R*d H*t who (as they did with RedHat6.1's KDE) package
> something up, claiming stability and robustness, and it turns out to be
> pre-beta software.

Redhat 6.2 does include KDE 1.1.2

> Sure the user can upgrade, but as I said earlier in the thread, the average
> windows user can't work an ftp client.

Are you claiming that no software can be claimed to be released until all users
upgrade?   That would mean Windows 95 is still pre-release.

Gary

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Global warming. (was Public v. Private Schools)
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:36:54 -0400

Jack Troughton wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:07:06, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Jack Troughton wrote:

>make claims
>higher than

>based on
>North

>continent produces less CO2
>way more than is consumed.
>elementary algebra class will help

> >> Still no answer on this question. C'mon Aaron, tell us why it's
> >> propaganda.
>
> And yet again, Aaron is incapable of defining why it's propaganda.
>
> Here's a hint Aaron; it's not self-evident in the way the truths of
> the American Constitution are.

> >> Sorry, that does not suffice as an answer. What lie exactly is it
> >> you are accusing me of? Go find a quote where I lied. 'Eco-bullshit
> >> propaganda' is a nice vagueness that may satisfy the weak-minded
> >> paranoiacs among the audience, but hardly suffices as anything more
> >> than a wild accusation by the intellectually bankrupt. Try again.
> >>

> >Are you really that fucking stupid that you don't know what the thread
> >is about?
> >
> >Check the fucking SUBJECT LINE you imbecile.
>
> I don't care about the subject of the thread. You said I was lying.
> I'm asking you to point to the lie that I said.
>
> It seems to me that you are in fact incapable of doing so, so you are
> resorting to name calling to try and cover up your mendacity.
>
> Pitiable or contemptible; either you are incapable of argument or
> unwilling to argue and so resort to name calling.

You are attempting to add credibility to a lie.
Thus, you are partaking in a lie.

GAME
SET
MATCH

YOU FUCKING LOSE!

> * Jack Troughton              jake at jakesplace.dhs.org *
> * http://jakesplace.dhs.org     ftp://jakesplace.dhs.org *
> * Montréal PQ Canada           news://jakesplace.dhs.org *

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Overclocking" Is A Bad Idea
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:39:48 -0400

Jim Broughton wrote:

> "Donal K. Fellows" wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Jim Broughton  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > What can be more arithmetic than calculations involved in ploting
> > > and then rendering a full motion scene in todays fast paced 3d FPS
> > > games.
> >
> > Scientific simulation.  Those guys use whopper supercomputers for a
> > good reason, and those computers don't use Intel CPUs for a good
> > reason too, namely floating-point performance.  By way of some
> > illustration, I was in a discussion on another group on the fastest
> > way to shuffle (IOW randomly permute) a list, and there were several
> > algorithms proposed.  However, it turned out that while recent Intels
> > were fastest when an algorithm was written using mainly integer math,
> > an UltraSparc with a nominally lower clock speed would kick the pants
> > off that Intel chip if the algorithm used floating point comparisons
> > instead of integer ones.
> >
> > Intel FP is not as bad as it used to be, but it is still nothing to
> > write home about.  That gamers haven't figured this out doesn't
> > surprise me; they tend not to be anything nearly so hot-shot technical
> > people as they like to believe themselves to be...
> >
> > Is that an insult to those people?  Yes.  Is it true?  You betcha!  :^)
> >
> > Donal.
> > --
> > Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > -- Actually, come to think of it, I don't think your opponent, your audience,
> >    or the metropolitan Tokyo area would be in much better shape.
> >                                         -- Jeff Huo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>  That another makers chip can beat intel in floating point operations
> (desktop type systems) does not suprise me at all. You of course must
> understand that we can only play the games that developers produce
> (asside from writing our own anyway. To big a project) and developers
> produce games that run on intel systems for windoze. Windoze is a great
> game platform other than that it sucks. Now were can I get half-life for
> a sparc system?

I believe it's been ported to Linux.

And if it's on Linux, you can run it on a Sparc.

> --
> Jim Broughton
> (The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)
> If Sense were common everyone would have it!
> Following Air and Water the third most abundant
> thing on the planet is Human Stupidity.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 17:59:06 -0500

Jason Bowen wrote:

> The following is an absolutely true story.  Apparently CU is a Win2k
> rapid deployment site, we signed some agreement get free stuff they can
> use us for advertising etc...  Anyway I was working in a lab yesterday
> when a representative from Microsoft walks in and says they are here to
> do some taping in the labs.  I told him that there were no Win2k labs in
> Engineering and that he had probably been in the only one earlier in the
> humanities building.  I called my boss and asked him if he knew of any
> others and he didn't and said to talk to so and so but they weren't in
> their office.  So I again told him that there were no Win2k labs in
> Engineering, his reply?  "They don't have to be Win2k, we just want to
> show the labs at work."  So I'll look for that Microsoft video showing
> the U of C engineering students using Win2k in droves.  I offered to
> have my picture taken in front of my Linux workstation but they guy
> didn't have a sense of humor at all.

1) Your manager or his is at fault.  Microsoft would not come in
un-announced to any such activity.  They probably asked someone in
charge at CU if Windows 2000 was deployed in the engineering lab and if
it was OK to do some taping there.  The wrong answer was given and the
news was not passed down.

2) Expect that Microsoft may try to charge CU for the software they were
given if they continue not to uphold their contractual obligations -- if
they fail to "rapidly deploy".

3) The reason they did not have to be Windows 2000 was that he didn't
want the trip to be a complete loss.  He was sent to get footage so he'd
damn well bring something back :-)  I'll bet that CU will just be
written off as a failed marketing exercise.

------------------------------

From: robert w hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 23:59:17 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matthias Warkus
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>It was the Wed, 20 Sep 2000 23:38:03 +0100...
>...and robert w hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matthias Warkus
>> >For most early-era operating systems, there was not much of a
>> >difference between binary and source code. Writing operating systems
>> >in high-level languages is a pretty recent development. :)
>>
>> Er, 1970 - BCPL - I remember it well
>
>Yeah. 1970 is pretty recent. Your point being?

Oh, sorry - I didn't realise you TOO had worked on valve computers! Bob

--
robert w hall

------------------------------

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:52:28 -0600

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Jack Troughton wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 22:07:06, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:

>make claims
>higher than

>based on
>in North

>continent produces less CO2
>produces way more than is consumed.
>elementary algebra class will help

>THEIR

> > And yet again, Aaron is incapable of defining why it's propaganda.
> >
> > Here's a hint Aaron; it's not self-evident in the way the truths of
> > the American Constitution are.

> > >Are you really that fucking stupid that you don't know what the thread
> > >is about?
> > >
> > >Check the fucking SUBJECT LINE you imbecile.
> >
> > I don't care about the subject of the thread. You said I was lying.
> > I'm asking you to point to the lie that I said.
> >
> > It seems to me that you are in fact incapable of doing so, so you are
> > resorting to name calling to try and cover up your mendacity.
> >
> > Pitiable or contemptible; either you are incapable of argument or
> > unwilling to argue and so resort to name calling.
>
> You are attempting to add credibility to a lie.
> Thus, you are partaking in a lie.
>
> GAME
> SET
> MATCH
>
> YOU FUCKING LOSE!

You already did when you admitted defeat at not being able to prove your
points.  How can he lose a game that's already lost?  Go back and learn
basic chem and math Aaron.

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.society.anarchy,talk.politics.misc
Subject: Re: Open lettor to CommyLinux Commy's, and all other commy's to.
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 18:59:57 -0400

Andres Soolo wrote:

> [Removed alt.atheism, alt.christnet, and alt.flame.niggers from the
> newsgroups and followup-to lists.]

> I'm not sure, but isn't the Labor Day celebrated in May 1st?

In Europe, yes. In the US, it is the Monday in the week of Sept 2 to Sept 8.

Colin Day