From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron R. Kulkis - Who is this guy?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:33:08 -0500

Jake Taense wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
> >Are you claiming that having taken a course, in say, english literature
> >is the difference between being an engineer or not?
> >
> >What part of fulfilled or EXCEEDED all core curriculum requirements
> >do you not undferstand?
>
> Do you hold a degree in an engineering field?
>
> No, you don't.
>
> Do you claim to be an engineer in your sig?
>
> Yes, you do.

Have I been paid by various Fortune 50 companies as an engineer for the last 5 years?

Yes

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:35:19 -0500

Bruce Schuck wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis >>
> Les >
>
> > > You don't and generally shouldn't if you want to be able to work
> > > with a variety of machines and different versions of things.   You
> > > just need to know how to quickly find the details for the things
> > > you may never have seen before.  On unix-like boxes, the man
> > > pages usually provide exactly that.  On of the reasons I dislike
> > > windows is that there is no equivalent,
>
> Help.
>
> Go to the command line and type help.
>
> From the list of commands type "help [command]" or [command] /? for further
> help.
>
> Which is more intuitive? Man? or Help?
>

> > Precisely
>
> Les and Aaron are amazingly ignorant.

C:\W98> help
Bad command or file name

C:\W98>

Apparently, not nearly as ignorant as the people who made Windows.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help!!
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:50:10 -0700

Your best bet is comp.os.linux.setup, this is an advocacy
group where Windows advocates come to throw stones. When I
setup dual boot system, I scrub the drive first.  It is just
easier that way. Windows needs periodic re-installation
anyways just to keep it running.

Michael Vester
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
A credible Linux advocate

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Hutchins)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:49:47 -0500

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <James Hutchins> wrote:

> >> Agreed.  They should write it in Java.
>
> <snip>
>
> >Java? Please, NO! I have a NEED for SPEED!! I don't think even hotspot can
> >make up for the performance hit I'd take with java. When doing complex
> >analyses on up to 10 gigs of byte-sized time series data, even a 15% speed
> >hit is significant. So why accept it when you can just use C++?
>
> For that matter, why are you using GUI toolkits to do
> complex analyses at all?

Good point. Because I then have to graphically display the results in
various charts, plots, etc. So I looked into graphics, which led to
windowing environments, thus to X, Qt, GTK+, and other confusions...

--J

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Lets try serious advocacy/discussion.
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:39:36 -0500

Tore Lund wrote:

> Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> > "Tore Lund" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > that
> > CD

> > that.

> > paste

> > what

> > > Hmmm.  There are no such messages so I believe you are wrong here.
> > >
> > > But if you know these things, maybe you can tell me why the copy and
> > > paste operation outlined above should behave differently from "cp -a" in
> > > Linux?  Conceptually, they should be doing the same thing.
> >
> > First, the invisible boot files (I've forgotten the names) have to be in a
> > certain place that only 'format /s' or 'sys' knows how to do.
>
> Sure, I did say that disk D: was formatted.  Of course we use FORMAT /S
> or SYS.  In addition, hidden files will be copied if they are made
> visible in Windows Explorer.
>
> > Second,
> > Windows, like DOS before it, naturally locks files in use against
> > another open (the bane of backups).
>
> Windows, like DOS before it, is capable of opening files SHARED.

And yet...the Windows Kernal doesn't do this for core programs?

Why is that?

HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE MICROSOFT PROGRAMMERS?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NT/2000 true multiuser?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:41:04 -0500

The Great Suprendo wrote:

> A certain Aaron R. Kulkis, of comp.os.linux.advocacy "fame", writes :
>
> >> "Crippled" is the wrong word. It is "crippled" in the sense that only
> >> ten users can connect to shares on it at once. But would a user
> >> workstation want to share files out to more than ten users ? It's no
> >
> >That's for the administrator to decide, not the vendor.
>
> What administrator would use a user's workstation for sharing files ?

It's very common at General Motors.

You know...the LARGEST CORPORATION ON THE PLANET.

> The user would get upset for a start. Wouldn't be permitted in any
> organization I've had experience of, unless there was a serious case
> made for it (and if there was, they'd just buy a server).
>
> >> The different versions of W2K server are like different distributions of
> >> Linux. There are two different distributions for SuSE for example. They
> >> are just aimed at different classes of user and machine. You wouldn't
> >> try to argue that SuSE Linux 7.0 Personal was a "crippled" version of
> >> the Professional edition, would you ?
> >
> >Only if the NFS module on one had an arbitrarily set limit on the
> >number of remote hosts that could connect to it, and the other didn't.
>
> My point is - is it a cripple if the functionality is rarely, if ever
> going to be used in the first place ?
>
> --
>
> ROAR UP MY TWAT!!!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:42:38 -0500

The Great Suprendo wrote:

> A certain Aaron R. Kulkis, of comp.os.linux.advocacy "fame", writes :
> >> Yes, it can do that with Windows 2000 Server. The client can be Win98SE,
> >> Windows 3.1 (!), MS-DOS, Linux, or any other OS supported by the Citrix
> >> client.
> >
> >Windows is STILL playing catchup.
> >
> >X-windows was been ported to a MUCH wider variety of platforms
> >in the early 1990'.s
>
> What freely redistributable versions are available for those platforms ?

X started out as an MIT Athena project, so...it has ALWAYS been available for free.

> ROAR UP MY TWAT!!!

No thinks.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:44:14 -0500

Pascal Haakmat wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>
> >>    And all the property-rights absolutists would have defended slavery
> >> on the ground that ordering the slaves freed would have set a dangerous
> >> precedent in the form of the government overruling property claims.
> >
> >What part of "PEOPLE are not property" do you not understand?
>
> I don't think slaves were ever considered people.

Wrong.  The souther states insisted that slaves be counted in the census
for determining representation in Congress.

A comprimise was reached, where all non-voting individuals
(children, women, slaves, and non-land-owners) would be counted
as 3/5 of a person.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.solaris
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:54:39 GMT

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I hope that the two projects merge in the future in a language less
> > sucky than either C or C++.
>
> Agreed.  They should write it in Java.  That way, KDE and GNOME could
run on
> an array of embedded applications (such as the Palm pilot).  We'll
> see a lot less of Windows CE.  I'm tired of seeing Windows CE running
on
> embedded applications.

Well, Qt/Embedded is getting there.

And if you realy mean it about Java, I will only say this: keep an eye
on KDE's kdebindings module ;-)

--
Roberto Alsina

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.ms.windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Most important computer program in the history of humanity
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:48:44 -0500

mlw wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Moderator wrote:

> > > I remember before Win2000 came out, they dubbed Windows 2000 one of the
> > > greatest works in the history of mankind, and compared it to the
> > > pyramids of Egypt and some other things.  No joke.
> >
> > The pyramids never crashed.
> >
> Correction, they have an uptime measured in the thousands of years, with
> an amazing rate of stability. Granted, this amount of uptime does tend
> to fragment heaps and erode resources, but most pyramid 1.x systems are
> still up. There were a couple early falures of pyramid 1.x, but this was
> admin error.

I've also notice that Pyramids are open systems.

You have your choice among:

Egypt-pyramid
Inca-pyramid
Aztec-Pyramid
China-pyramid
Nubian-pyramid

> --
> http://www.mohawksoft.com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.ms.windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:51:15 -0500

Mike wrote:

> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> the
> > >
> > > The pyramids never crashed.
> > >
> > Correction, they have an uptime measured in the thousands of years, with
> > an amazing rate of stability. Granted, this amount of uptime does tend
> > to fragment heaps and erode resources, but most pyramid 1.x systems are
> > still up. There were a couple early falures of pyramid 1.x, but this was
> > admin error.
>
> Hehe.
>
> To be fair, the pyramids we look at today were actually second or third
> generation (or other, depending on your definition). I seem to recall that
> some of the earlier designs had sides that were too steep, and tended to
> crumble (collapse? slide?). The remains of the older pyramids are still
> there, but they're not in very good shape.

Those are Egypt-pyramid 0.x systems.

the "bent Pyramid" is the 0.99 version...they got the slope right mid-build.

Conversely, extremely steep-sided pyramids from anothr vendor in Nubia
are still up.

How steep?  Base of about 10 feet, hight of 60 - 100 feet.

> -- Mike --

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.ms.windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:53:33 -0500

mlw wrote:

> mmnnoo wrote:
> >
> > A Microsoft exec dubs Windows 2000
> > "the most important computer program in the history of humanity"
> > (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/nov2000/nf20001113_046.htm)
> >
> > Although this strikes me as ridiculous and somewhat offensive, I can't
> > think of any other computer programs that really deserve the title, either.
>
> In all seriousness, I would have to say Multix is probably the most
> important computer development ever.
>
> Multix was the basis for much of UNIX, UNIX is the idealogical basis for
> FreeBSD, HPUX, Linux, etc. I can't think of a single OS that does not
> draw, in some way, from UNIX. (Except maybe CP/M)

Actually, version 6 Unix would be the most recent ancestor of all these
varieties.

Unix was the ONLY progeny of Multics which could be considered successful

Trivia:  There was a multic system running at the GM's Livonia (Michigan)
Engine plant as late as 1985.

> --
> http://www.mohawksoft.com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.