Linux-Advocacy Digest #216, Volume #30           Mon, 13 Nov 00 18:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: OS stability (sfcybear)
  Re: The Sixth Sense ("PLZI")
  Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years? (mlw)
  Re: Side by side (sfcybear)
  Re: Mandrake, thoughts? Opinions? (Bas van der Meer)
  Re: Same old Linux..Nothing new here... (David Dorward)
  Re: Same old Linux..Nothing new here... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Mandrake, thoughts? Opinions? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? ("Simon Cooke")
  Re: Mandrake, thoughts? Opinions? (Bas van der Meer)
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! (Steve Mading)
  Re: Debian vs RedHat/Mandrake (JoeX1029)
  Re: The Sixth Sense ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: The Sixth Sense ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years? (Chris J/#6)
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum (Steve Mading)
  Re: Linux + KDE2 = 8) (Steve Mading)
  Re: OS stability ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS stability
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:19:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 10:02:08 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>
> >Does the word EMPHASIS mean anything to you?
>
> If half the article has "emphasis", then it's no longer "emphasis",

Why is it that it is not imphassis??? can't you emphasise an intire
sentance with out shouting? I can do serveral in a row without
shouting.. It had become obvious that the person was not paying
attention to what was being writen so heavy emphasis was required.

You are not adding to the topic being discussed your just here pissin'.
I have contributed in many ways my self, but I don't come into a thead
and do nothing but insult people without even trying to adress the
topic. If you are truley a contributer you would know not to do that.

Now, are you going to contibute to the debate about servers being able
to be secure even after runing for a long time or are you going to piss
and insult people some more?

From: "PLZI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:32:23 GMT

> PLZI wrote:
> >
> > This of course can be done with a cute little kludge (ie. using the shell
>
> Everything in from Redmond is a Kludge

Right.

> They should rename the company Microkludge.

Right.

> > - ADSI, my best friend. Manage any user information in LDAP (or use it
for
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> you are an idiot.

Right. And that is all you had to say. Well. I guess everybody now knows your
look on life. Is it uncomfortable to walk around with your fingers so deep in
your ears?

Ah, I know. This is futile. So very futile. Try to be a good advocate, and
all you get are these wannabe-31337-nixadmins who burst into bitter tears and
start calling you names every time you try to educate them.

*plonk*

- PLZI

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:38:53 -0500

James Hutchins wrote:

> Remember how Motif became the darling and crowded out all of its
> competitors within very few years? Is that what will happen with GTK+ and
> Qt?
>
> I was about to switch from Motif to Qt, but have gotten advice from
> several sources suggesting Qt failed to get adopted as the darling of the
> unix community and GTK+ has succeeded, so Qt will not be around, or will
> be a hanger-on.
>
> Seems like when a tool doesn't "win", all kinds of things happen, like
> ancilliary tools don't get developed for it, it isn't kept up with new
> developments, good books about it (and about using various tools in
> conjunction with it, like databases, graphics libraries, etc.) don't
> appear, etc.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Jim

I have looked at both gtk and qt, I am amazed that gtk is not ridiculed
more.

The one thing I think is silly about the current open source mentality
is that many of them, particularly the gnome people, are passionately
anti-c++. I do not understand why. The whole gnome infrastructure seems
to go through hoops to accomplish what C++ gives you for free, and
despite arguments to the contrary, C++ can do all the neat and efficient
things that C can do, the same way. So, using C++, as a C with classes,
would have made the whole gnome project much more robust and readable.

Why they had to implement their own object oriented class environment in
C, when the same compiler could compile C++ code, just seems silly. I
can think of no rational, reasonable argument for their decision. I
would love to debate that with someone, but I have yet to hear any
defensible reasoning.

I wouldn't put one minute's worth of code towards the GTK. QT/KDE is
better.

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Side by side
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:27:31 GMT

In article <8up5nt$2mi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <8umgpt$1jr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > let's do some industry by industry comparisons:
> >
> > And if you want to say it's because of scheduled maintenance, please
> > explain how barns and noble is scheduled maintenance!
> >

> I'm still puzzled as to how you can get reliable uptime statistics out
> of a clustered set of servers - presumably a different server in a
> cluster will report a different uptime?
>
> Uptime is a pretty unreliable measure - what is really needed is
> a "consistent user availability measure" or something like that.  You
> could have a perfect uptime, but if you've put your box into single
> user mode at any time during that, your uptime figure is basically
> meaningless.

If you take enough samples you will get around to polling all of the
servers. The up time is given by each server and you take an average.
Read what the netcraft page has to say then---
Think about it a little....

So why is it that the Linux/Unix clusters always seem to report better
uptimes averages even though they would have the same cluster related
issues???

BTW, if linux and Unix were not posting better uptime averages, you'all
would not be trying so hard to discredit the numbers!

From: Bas van der Meer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake, thoughts? Opinions?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:52:26 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am considering Mandrake 7.2. Should I buy the full version? Or just
> get the cheapbytes version? Or should I even use Mandrake? Is the manual
> worth while?
>
> Any thoughts? Opinions?

Be aware that the full version that is available right now might NOT
contain the final KDE2, but still a beta because Mandrakesoft had to ship
some Mandrake 7.2 before November 1 in order to get them in some shops
before Xmas. The download version and later versions do contain final KDE2.
So you might want to check that out before you buy.

------------------------------

From: David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Same old Linux..Nothing new here...
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:53:23 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> ****THIS ONE IS MY FAVORITE....WHAT ARE THE ODDS THIS GUY WILL NOT
> *****MAKE A TYPO AND RENDER HIS SYSTEM X_LESS?********

There is a wonderful feature called Copy and Paste. Even if the file does
get mucked up in such a way that X will not run there there are a number of

* Delete it
* Edit it in console mode
* Log on as a different user and edit it
* Restore it from backup in console mode
* Restore it from backup while logged in as another user.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:57:04 GMT

This guy can't even make his mouse work and you expect him to know how
to do all of that?

good luck.

claire

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:00:11 GMT

Followups trimmed.

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Bruce Schuck
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 12 Nov 2000 13:57:42 -0800
<ElEP5.125816$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9PDP5.19555$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:QeqP5.125604$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >

>> > Easy root exploits are a Linux specialty.
>>
>> No, I thought Microsoft had a patent on that technology.  They
>> have had no trouble maintaining their lead in the bugtraq stats:
>> http://www.securityfocus.com/frames/?content=/forums/bugtraq/intro.html
>
>Linux wins the "root exploits" race everytime.

Exactly.  Microsoft doesn't have root exploits, because Microsoft
doesn't have root!  Administrator and SYSTEM, yes -- but not root.

:-)

(Of course, this doesn't mean either system is invulnerable.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:04:20 GMT

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:52:26 +0100, Bas van der Meer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Be aware that the full version that is available right now might NOT
>contain the final KDE2, but still a beta because Mandrakesoft had to ship
>some Mandrake 7.2 before November 1 in order to get them in some shops
>before Xmas. The download version and later versions do contain final KDE2.
>So you might want to check that out before you buy.

I'd rather get coal for Christmas than Linux.

claire

------------------------------

From: "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:11:05 GMT

> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > "Simon Cooke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:bbZO5.9923$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Presumably if Microsoft's DOS used LF as its newline character, you'd
> > claim
> > > that they stole it from LINUX?
> >
> > I wouldn't be so surprise, Aaron's grasp of time seemed to be...
peculiar.

> Yes, Simon  think it is quit normal for Gates to ignore a standard that
> had been in place for a full decade.
>
> Of course...for Gates...yes..that is normal.

Aaron, you're deluded.

Simon

------------------------------

From: Bas van der Meer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:19:06 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:52:26 +0100, Bas van der Meer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> >Be aware that the full version that is available right now might NOT
> >contain the final KDE2, but still a beta because Mandrakesoft had to ship
> >some Mandrake 7.2 before November 1 in order to get them in some shops
> >before Xmas. The download version and later versions do contain final
> >KDE2. So you might want to check that out before you buy.
>

> I'd rather get coal for Christmas than Linux.
>
> claire

To each what they deserve ;)

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: 13 Nov 2000 22:13:59 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
:>
:> Chad's view is like saying that you don't care whether or not
:> your car's technical manuals are available to the public.  After
:> all, *you* don't know what to do with those manuals, so obviously
:> it doesn't matter if they are out there.  This naive viewpoint
:> ignores the fact that it's kinda nice that your *mechanic* can
:> get access to those manuals.

: Mechanics have access to much more technical and accurate documentation.
: The manual becomes irrelevant.

You have no idea what I meant when I said "manual".  I was not
referring to the cute little 50-page booklet that people
typically have stuffed in the glovebox.  I was thinking of the
reams worth of books full of blow-out schematics and whatnot.

: Developers get along just find without having the source to Access. People
: have become very productive with Microsoft tools without requiring
: the source. People can optimize, configure, and tweak the applications
: to their specifications without the source because the software is
: well designed in the first place, making having the source available
: irrelevant.

: If you're going to quote me, please don't put words in my keyboard.

I didn't.  Your above post confirms what I said about your viewpoint.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JoeX1029)
Date: 13 Nov 2000 22:21:59 GMT
Subject: Re: Debian vs RedHat/Mandrake

>> > FreeBSD is the FASTEST OPERATING SYSTEM in the WORLD.
>> > It just runs away from Linux 2.2 kernels.

Gee, and i thought ACP/TPF was fast, maybe i'll give FreeBSD a try now...  I'd
rather use OpenBSD then FreeBSD (server wise, my server is moving from Linux to
OpenBSD)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 17:26:00 -0500

Bruce Schuck wrote:

> "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> service
> happen

> > > Sounds pretty portable to me. Any machine with IE on it can be used to
> > > administer a Win2K server.
> >
> > I'm assuming an admin could also use Netscape if he so wished to
> > administer a win2k server or is Netscape not included in Microsoft's Ten
> > Commandments?  "Thou shall not have no other browser before IE"
>
> Why would you want to use a slow buggy piece of crap like Netscape?

Because it doesn't automatically run "ILOVEYOU" and trash the system

You know...like Microshaft's IE and Loooooookouuuuuut! did.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 17:26:49 -0500

Jake Taense wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Giuliano Colla
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Because IE is as slow as Netscape, slightly more crappy then
> >Netscape, slightly more buggy then Netscape, and moreover it
> >is absolutely and intrinsically unsafe. Didn't I LOVE YOU
> >teach anything?
>
> Wasn't that a virus that took advantage of a problem with OE, not IE?
>
> I could be wrong.

it exploited the same design flaw in both programs.

> But in my experience, Netscape is both slower and buggier than IE in any
> version over 4.0 on either side.
>
> Netscape also routinely crashes on my linux box.

better a crash than an ILOVEYOU attack.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 17:29:09 -0500

Andres Soolo wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> [about LF vs. CR-LF as newline separator]
> > Yes, Simon  think it is quit normal for Gates to ignore a standard that
> > had been in place for a full decade.
> Well ... actually, MS followed there a standard.  An old standard from
> about the same era as EBCDIC's roots.  The teletypes needed two separate
> commands to scroll the paper and to move the print head back to the
> left end of the page.

Please explain the logic benefit of using EBCDIC standards on ASCII machines....

> Unix and later Mac were the innovators here by replacing the CR-LF pair
> with a single CR or LF, which made text file processing much easier.
>
> --
> Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> To find a friend one must close one eye; to keep him -- two.
>                 -- Norman Douglas

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris J/#6)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.solaris
Date: 13 Nov 2000 22:27:00 -0000

James Hutchins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Remember how Motif became the darling and crowded out all of its
>competitors within very few years? Is that what will happen with GTK+ and
>Qt?
>
>I was about to switch from Motif to Qt, but have gotten advice from
>several sources suggesting Qt failed to get adopted as the darling of the
>unix community and GTK+ has succeeded, so Qt will not be around, or will
>be a hanger-on.
>
>Seems like when a tool doesn't "win", all kinds of things happen, like
>ancilliary tools don't get developed for it, it isn't kept up with new
>developments, good books about it (and about using various tools in
>conjunction with it, like databases, graphics libraries, etc.) don't
>appear, etc.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Jim

Out of the two, from a user perspective, I prefer the look & feel of the Qt
widgets ... they just seem, well, "better" (for lack of a better word). I
can't describe this - it's just my own personal viewpoint, so sorry to the
GTK bods who may be interested in why - its summat I can't put into words.

I don't actually use wither Gnome (GTK) or KDE (Qt) mostly because I object
to flooding my own system with libraries galore that I'd use for only a
few apps, so can't speak for the look/feel of the desktops following on from
the above.

>From a programming perspective, I aggree with the other posters here; both
GTK and Qt win by being central toolkits in high-profile projects, and also
becuase they both target different languages (C and C++, respectivly).

Speaking of Motif ... I've not actually done any research (mostly because
this thoughts only just arrived within my skull) -- has any one considered,
or are there any libraries, that wrap Qt and/or GTK into Motif calls? I know
there's Lesstif, but generally speaking Motif widgets ain't pretty, and
again from a look/feel aspect, it seems a good idea. Having never had the
misfortune to write Motif code, I wouldn't know how hard it is to wrap the
Motif calls up.

Just my 2p,

Chris...

--
Chris Johnson            \  "If not for me then, do it for yourself. If not
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        \  for then do it for the world." -- Stevie Nicks

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: 13 Nov 2000 22:21:52 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy ! ! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Chad doesnt know this, because chad is faking his experience again.  He actually
: had no DB experience to speak of, no linux or unix experience to speak of, and
: only understands windows in the most rudimentary fashion.

Get this: In another part of this thread he tried claiming that having the
database use a file (as opposed to a raw partition) is the most typical
way to do it, and most everyone does it like that.  Chad must have a
wacky definition of "most everyone".

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux + KDE2 = 8)
Date: 13 Nov 2000 22:28:22 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <g7IP5.19730$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:   "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:> The obvious way is to provide your own DNS, given that you have
: everything
:> you need and more than one machine.   Make it primary for your own
:> domain (which can be made-up) and number ranges, and either a generic
:> caching nameserver or a slave to your ISP.   If that seems too
: complicated
:> for 2 machines, put everything in /etc/hosts.

: Then there's the Windows way of doing it - the DNS is assigned to the
: Dialup entry setting, and not to the system. Windows used to do it the
: same way as Linux and made it hard to have two networks, but that was
: fixed a while ago.

: Now what was it I said, "Linux lags behind Windows"?

In Linux this is entirely under the control of userland setup
programs, *not* the core OS.  As such, the behaviour is different
depending on which setup tool you use.  Some setup tools do
exactly what you describe, and have for some time.  Some do not.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 17:32:35 -0500

Stuart Fox wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Whoosh!
> > >
> > > What was that?
> > >
> > > Just another analogy shooting over Matt's head...
> >
> > What part of a computer needs regular maitenance, exactly?
> >

> He was talking about taking a machine out of rotation and running
> hardware diagnostics on it (ie a "regular maintenance" style thing).
> Is it your contention that hardware doesn't fail?

Yes, I know.

Every machine I have worked on for the last several years has been
keep powered up continously for years, unless there was a failure
on the motherboard.

Please explaine what sort of 'motherboard maintenance' will
prevent, or at least delay CPU and Memory failures?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.