Linux-Advocacy Digest #216, Volume #35           Thu, 14 Jun 01 02:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (T. Max Devlin)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:40 GMT

Said chrisv in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:00:22 GMT;
>drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>The US will never have personal freedom whilst their people are still
>>continuosly brainwashed by Christian ideology.
>
>A.  We're not.  Most people I know don't go to church.

Most people wouldn't vote for a politician that doesn't go to church.
That's what counts.

>B.  Why do you think an ignorant troll like yourself has the wisdom to
>pass this kind of judgement?

Please provide the name of an atheist elected to federal office.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:41 GMT

Said Mart van de Wege in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 12 Jun 2001
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>> drsquare wrote:
><snip>
>>>
>>> Canada, Ireland, France, Germany, Spain, Holland, Denmark, Belgium,
>>> Italy, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Mexico, Poland...
>>
>> Ireland - abortion is illegal
>> France       - Paris commune massacre, Dreyfus affair, just as bad as US
>> Germany      - a perfect example of human rights preservation for all of
>> history
>> Spain        - dictatorship until mid-70's
>> Italy        - not just the government abuses human rights
>>
>So that leaves the Netherlands then?
>
>:)
>
>(and for fscks sake: it is 'the Netherlands' not 'Holland'. To someone
>from the southern and northern provinces, that's like calling a
>Southerner a Yankee).

Well, believe it or not, Southerners in the US understand it when a
foreigner calls them a Yankee.  They'd never put up with it if they
weren't in an international venue, of course, so Usenet is a
no-man's-land, but, yes, people from Georgia expect Limeys (what they'd
call 'furriners') to refer to them as "Yanks" or whatever.

Still, I don't know near as much about Holland as I do about Georgia.
So Holland is an area within the Netherlands?  I guess an eastern or
western province?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:42 GMT

Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:31:44
    [...]
>> Ireland - abortion is illegal
>
>So they don't kill their own young. Sounds much more enlightened than
>the U.S. or Europe.

Wow.  That's cute.  Chad is a pro-lifer.  That would be a major score,
if I could spank him in an abortion debate.

You up for it, Chad?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:43 GMT

Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:26:41
>On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:11:45 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>> Canada, Ireland, France, Germany, Spain, Holland, Denmark, Belgium,
>>> Italy, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, Mexico, Poland...
>>
>>Ireland - abortion is illegal
>
>As it will soon be in US

Now you're blaming the entire country for Bush and the Republican's pact
with the American Council of Catholic Bishops.  That's not fair.
Abortion is still legal, and will remain legal, unless the Supreme Court
ignores the Constitution.

>>France        - Paris commune massacre, Dreyfus affair, just as bad as US
>
>I think not.

Yay.

>>Spain - dictatorship until mid-70's
>
>Oh, until mid-70s, that means a lot.

Does it? You have cited nothing but something that *might* happen in the
future.  Where does that leave your argument?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:44 GMT

Said Rotten168 in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:56:05
>drsquare wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:11:45 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  (Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >Ireland - abortion is illegal
>>
>> As it will soon be in US
>
>Not too likely.

Unfortunately, it is all too likely.  Double-you's ability to appoint
conservative Republicans to the Supreme Court is far more imminent and
perilous situation than you may think.

>> >France - Paris commune massacre, Dreyfus affair, just as bad as US
>>
>> I think not.
>
>And your reasoning is????
>
>> >Spain  - dictatorship until mid-70's
>>
>> Oh, until mid-70s, that means a lot.
>
>Oh gee, sorry, I didn't realize we were picking a time-frame that's
>convenient to your side.

That's a <*spank*>.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:47 GMT

Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:48:52
>On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:56:05 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>> As it will soon be in US
>>
>>Not too likely.
>
>It is with Bush there. And all those terrorists.

>>> Oh, until mid-70s, that means a lot.
>>
>>Oh gee, sorry, I didn't realize we were picking a time-frame that's
>>convenient to your side.
>
>Oh sorry, I was talking about a time that matters, such as NOW.

Well, now, again, the USA is the free-est country.  Abortion is still
legal (if you were talking about now, why weren't you talking about
now?) and being liberal isn't all there is to being free.  Right NOW,
Ireland is hardly a model of a civilized country which protects civil
rights.  Spain, I don't know about, but wasn't there something I heard
recently about the government wiping out some local culture that had
endured for centuries on one of their coasts?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:47 GMT

Said Jon Johansan in alt.destroy.microsoft on 12 Jun 2001 13:24:23
>Damn, they should have left the original in
>there, made him sound cooler than just another rich guy giving away tons of
>cash money to the needy...

So why didn't they?

;-)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:49 GMT

Said green in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 14:46:41 +1000;
>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On 11 Jun 2001 11:10:02 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ("Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>>
>> >"Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:OR4V6.812$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >thrown

>> >Untrue - prove your claim!
>>
>> Prove they haven't.
>
>ah the very long task challenge that would take too long any way to win the
>argument.
>and being an reference source it should have changed (updated with current
>knowledge where appropriate)
>
>the best way to lie is to tell the truth unconvincingly
>the second best way is to tell a almost truth. (a version of the truth)

You're sputtering.  The fact is, MS *has* changed, added, deleted, and
modified content according to their marketing strategy, with little or
no regard for factual integrity.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:50 GMT

Said Jon Johansan in alt.destroy.microsoft on 12 Jun 2001 13:26:21
>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On 11 Jun 2001 11:10:02 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ("Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>>
>> >"Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:OR4V6.812$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >thrown

>> >Untrue - prove your claim!
>>
>> Prove they haven't.
>
>that is an impossible request.

As is proving the claim true in the context of Usenet discussion.

>Person1: "The government is hiding UFO information."
>Person2: "Untrue - prove your claim!"
>Person1: "Prove they aren't."

Trivial.  Ever read Skeptical Inquirer?  That Joe Nickell, boy, he's got
the stuff.  There is NO WAY the government is hiding anything.  Just
read; if you don't agree when you're done, we'll discuss it.

No problem.

>Person2: "Um, how? How can you prove they aren't? Impossible."

Proving something is not true isn't really any harder than proving it is
true.  It's just changing someone's mind with facts that is impossible.

>Person 2 kills person1 to prevent stupidity from breeding.

Whoops.  I guess that didn't work.  Turns out, the stupid person is the
one who is left alive.  Doh!

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:51 GMT

Said JS \ PL in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:50:12
>"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9g3i9h$ugo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:3b24ecd2$0$2600$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> > "Norman D. Megill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:OR4V6.812$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > thrown

>> > Untrue - prove your claim!
>>
>> I've never used Encarta, I prefer sticking to the dead wood on my shelf,
>you
>> know, books.
>
>Precisely! All multimedia encyclopedias are gimmicks.

Spoken like someone who has the cash for dead wood.

>I didn't know they
>were even still in use.

In case you weren't aware of it, kid, electronic references are the
future.  Hell, they're the present.

>Maybe they've gotten better since the last time I
>saw one (Win95a era).

Maybe you are just clueless.  ;-)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:52 GMT

Said Matthew Gardiner (BOFH) in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 13 Jun
>"Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:3b265ebd$0$2648$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> lesse... $1000 for hard copy of Encyclopedia that is never updated and
>> contains no "live" data or links.
>> $damn-near-free for CD ROM Encyclopedia that is live and can be updated
>and
>> contains more diverse types of information?
>>
>> there is a decision to be made here?
>
>For date specific items, yes, however, in most cases, this information (that
>is date sensitive), or is being constantly reviewed, can easily be obtained
>via the net.

Now if there were only some way to actually know for a fact which was
date-sensitive, and which was not.

>Question is, will the Russian Revolution ever change? no.

Will what we know about the Russian Revolution ever change?  yes.

>So,
>on historical events, books are great, however, the cutting edge information
>needs to be updated and reviewed regularly, hence, the net is the best
>option.

It has nothing to do with content.  It is a matter of which form is more
convenient for the function.  Dead wood is great, if you can afford it.
But, yeah, it can't be updated as easily as electronic references can.

{Flashback to my time in the service, updating Navy documentation on the
P3 plains that we flew.  Each and every page was accounted for, and
millions of dollars was invested in "This page left intentionally blank"
so that page number of documentation remained valid while the content
was routinely updated.  And this on a plane that was already twenty
years old.)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:53 GMT

Said JS \ PL in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 13 Jun 2001 03:46:04
>"Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:3b265ebd$0$2648$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> lesse... $1000 for hard copy of Encyclopedia that is never updated and
>> contains no "live" data or links.
>> $damn-near-free for CD ROM Encyclopedia that is live and can be updated
>and
>> contains more diverse types of information?
>>
>> there is a decision to be made here?
>
>Like I said, I haven't picked up a CD encyclopedia in several years. And
>what you describe is the exact sales push that they were given. The old
>"$1000 value".

No, the current $1000 value.  Or, rather, $239 value, or $120 value, or
whatever MS is claiming is what they donated to charity when they gave
them a ten cent copy of Encarta as part of a "educational grant".

It doesn't really matter how much more than ten cents the retail price
is, it is still fraud.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:54 GMT

Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:33:50
>On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:38:34 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> ("Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>> No, it's not.
>>
>>It is in some ways. Print is much easier to read than a
>>computer screen due having a much higher resoulution and contrast. Also,
>
>I wouldn't be so sure. It's easier to read from a screen than to have
>a collection of giant books strewn about the place.

You obviously haven't been using computers very long.  Or very much, at
least.

   [...]
>I doubt many people would want to print off an entire encyclopedia.

No, they would want it pre-printed.  Bound reference works are still
worth hundreds and even thousands of dollars.  MS has to give away
Encarta.  According to market theory (something I know MS fans are very
happy with, as long as they can ignore the bits about monopoly and
anti-trust) that means bound encyclopedias are worth very much, and
Encarta is worth nothing.  Comments?

>Also, I like reading off the monitor. They're are no problems with
>shadows/lighting etc, and you can set your own font/size. Also, you
>can copy/paste text.

Get out in the sun, man.  You've been in your mama's basement for too
long.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:55 GMT

Said GreyCloud in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:46:54
>Edward Rosten wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "drsquare"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > No, it's not.
>>
>> It is in some ways. Print is much easier to read than a
>> computer screen due having a much higher resoulution and contrast. Also,
>> the print quailty from an expensive book is liable to be much higher than
>> the print quality you could get out of any printer you are likely to be
>> able to afford / have room for.
>>

>How right you are!  I used up four black print cartridges to print out
>the Solaris 8 System Administration Manuals.  My cost was about $150.
>Each was about 700 pages and there were three manuals.  Plus I had to
>buy the large D ring notebooks to make the pages last.  I think I'd
>rather have paid the money for the manuals.

Wow.  You mean just printing out a book and binding it well is something
you can make money on, even if the text is available entirely on line?

Go figure.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:56 GMT

Said Jon Johansan in alt.destroy.microsoft on 12 Jun 2001 13:37:05
>"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
   [...]
>> > Untrue - prove your claim!
>>
>> Are you on Microsofts payroll?
>> Do they owe you something?
>
>No

Do you own Microsoft stock?  Are you employed by a "Microsoft partner"?

> - are you Linus' lapdog? Does ESR do your laundry?

He asked where you were employed by a particular company, and you ask if
he is a 'lapdog' to a kernel for GNU software?  Do you see why his
position might be more valid than yours, at this point?

>I spot something I don't believe true and I say something about it.

Well, if you want to have any validity in that position, you're going to
have to come up with some convincing reason why you don't believe it is
true.

>What's
>wrong with that?

We don't believe it is true, that's what's wrong with that.  We think
you are being dishonest, pretending that something is untrue because you
wish it were untrue, rather than the fact that you know it is untrue.

>How does that make me on MS's side necessarily?

The fact that Microsoft has changed Encarta content based on marketing
strategy rather than factual reference data.  If you were simply unaware
that they had done this, it would be one thing, but apparently you are
aware that it is true but you are claiming it is not true.  This makes
you on MS's side, necessarily, since it is no their behalf that you are
acting dishonestly.

>I say his
>claim is untrue and ask him to prove it - what's wrong with that?

Again, the reason why you asked.  It is dishonest.  We already know this
fact is true; it is easily accessible through public knowledge.  You are
denying it is true, without any reason, and without any evidence, and
without any argument.  That's an 'argument from ignorance', not an
argument.  What's wrong with that is that it is a logical fallacy.

http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/fallacy/toc.htm

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:57 GMT

Said Sandman in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:06:46
>In article <9fua39$1ek$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
><don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Just to clear the confution, here is an image of how the Smart Tags works.
>>
>> http://www10.ewebcity.com/ayende/SmartTags.png
>>
>> Notice the purple line underneat Critix (mid left one), that is how you know
>> that there will be a response if you hover above it.
>> Notice the menu that pops up if you click on the little graphic.
>> In order to get to it, you need to hover above an underlined word, and click
>> on the icon that appears, then the menu would appear.
>
>1. As a web designer, I think this is horrible. If I don't want MS to screw
>the design on my pages up, what do I do?

Fuck you.  It is a monopoly.  Pay up and shut up.

>2. For every word IE finds on the page, it must do an extra query to a MS
>server to find more info on it, right? This way, a lengthy html document
>can take an eternity to load. Although, it could be done with just one
>query though. It's at least one more access.
>
>3. MS can, by hiding it in Smart Tags, justify that IE sends information to
>MS server for every page we surf, do you think this isn't logged? What do
>you think it sends? Lets say, for each word matching the database, IE sends
>"http://sandman.net CITRIX" to smarttags.microsoft.com, this way, MS know
>what IP I am on, what page I have surfed and what keywords the page
>contains.
>
>If we should be really cynical, this could be a way for MS to build a Smart
>Tag-words database that is based on people doing the hard work for them by
>indexing what sites contains what words for them.

You don't even have to go that far to know that this is a bad idea.  If
given the choice between a Windows that does this, and a Windows that
doesn't, which do you think the consumer would choose?  Now, why
wouldn't MS try to serve both, by NOT bolting it into their software,
the way they always do?

The question is the same as why MS didn't want Windows to support both
IE and Netscape, and why they didn't want DOS to support both Windows
and DeskView (sp?), and why they didn't want the PC to support both
DR-DOS and MS-DOS.  Because they just can't compete.  That's all.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:58 GMT

Said Thaddius Maximus in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 12 Jun 2001
>Burkhard Wölfel wrote:
   [...]
>> 2. You said "my medical insurance policy". How much do you pay per year?
>> Or does your employer do?
>
>I pay about 30 USD per month through my employer and if I get laid
>off I have insurance for 6 months thereafter.

In the US?  Hell of a policy, and you must be a young man with no
family.  Doh!

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 05:40:59 GMT

Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:45:29
   [...]
>I've heard the term "Sleeping Bear" to describe Russia on several occasions.

I've never heard it.  What morons were you talking to?  It has probably
never appeared in the New York Times, or the Washington Post, LA Times,
or Newsweek magazine.  If I'm mistaken, let me know.

>I think it's quite fitting. From what I've heard and seen, it seems
>her people are hard working and not very excitable. Given the current
>conditions over there, they're still not rising up demanding a revolution
>or some type of change.

Neither are we.  ;-)

>During the Cold War, I don't remember Russia
>as being very aggressive.

Tell that to the people who lost great-uncles in Korea and the fathers
in Vietnam.

>They started out quite bold, but as the days
>wore on, late in the game, they seemed very timid. They competed heavily
>in the space race and in the arms race, but they never threatened us,
>they never pulled another Cuban-missle-crisis-type move, even though we
>had missles in Europe and Turkey pointed at them.

Your opinion on world politics seems about as valid as your opinion on
SSH.