Linux-Advocacy Digest #363, Volume #30           Wed, 22 Nov 00 09:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Tim Smith)
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: New to Linux, and I am not satisfied. (Ian Davey)
  Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux ("Frank Van Damme")
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! ("Nik Simpson")
  Re: Linux INstability & Netscape : Insights? ("Frank Van Damme")
  Re: Microsoft Song (sung to the turn, oh what a wonderful world) a oldie but a
goodie ("Frank Van Damme")
  Re: yo ("Frank Van Damme")
  Re: Mandrake 7.2 and KDE2 - Congrats ! ("Frank Van Damme")
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? (Stuart Fox)
  Re: New to Linux, and I am not satisfied. ("Frank Van Damme")
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? (Stuart Fox)
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: Mandrake 7.2 and KDE2 - Congrats ! ("MH")
  Re: I am finding installing a multi-function card needless reading. (.)
  Re: Linux for nitwits ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux for nitwits ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Mandrake 7.2 and KDE2 - Congrats ! ("MH")
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Small Distro? ("MH")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: 22 Nov 2000 02:15:52 -0800

Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>1.) He was talking about "at the command prompt". Typing anything but
>    "explorer xxxxx" will not open an explorer window.
>
>2.) Even from the Start -> Run window, if I type help, I get a cmd.exe
>    window quickly flash with the contents of the same command entered
>    from a command window.

On my WinMe system, I get the same as you for #1, but #2 opens an
explorer window on c:\windows\help.

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:47:44 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > What benifit is derived by gaining uptime precision to fractions
> > > of a second, at the cost of the upper limit being 49 days rather
> > > than 497 days?
> >
> > Irrelevant, given that the issue I was addressing was the one of
> > the alleged "10 times more accurate".
>
> 10 years since I first saw you posting...and you're still
> a fucking idiot.
>
> Why is that?

Had it been just one year instead of 10, your remark would
have been 10 times less accurate!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Subject: Re: New to Linux, and I am not satisfied.
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:52:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dan Hinojosa
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>That worked thanks. Buy why not menued copy-paste?

Some apps do have menued copy paste, but just using the mouse is far faster. I
really like having a simple cut and paste that works effortlessly without have
to track down menu options. It makes a three button mouse indispensible. I do
a lot of cut and paste and often wish I had something similar at work on NT4.
Where I have to rely on keyboard shortcuts: select, ctl insert, find location
to paste, shift insert. It's especially useful in a xterm, you can cat a file,
make a selection from it and paste it straight to the command line without any
effort.

$cat filename
Then select, middle click, enter. Simple as that.

ian.

 \ /
(@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
/(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
 | |

------------------------------

From: "Frank Van Damme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:17:45 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> spineboy wrote:
>
> Fuck Skins!
>
> Skins are for losers who can't configure anything else.

Nooooooo, skins are _fun_!
btw do you call that configuring?

--
Never underestimate the power of Linux-Mandrake
7.2 on an AMD K7 800 / 128.

------------------------------

From: "Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 06:32:47 -0500

> Nik Simpson wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > why
> > possible)

> > UWIN

> > > It still sucks.
> >
> > Thankyou for such an incisive and well thought out response, it just
what
> > we've come to expect from you.
>
> The DOS command line sucks, because it is poorly implemented.
>
> In contrast, the Unix command line interfaces are works of pure genius.

Thankyou for clarifying, surprisingly, I agree, I've never had any time for
the DOS command prompt which is why I never use it, I've been writing UNIX
shell scripts for 20 years and see no good reason to stop.

--
Nik Simpson

------------------------------

From: "Frank Van Damme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux INstability & Netscape : Insights?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:51:52 +0100

> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:38:20 +0500, "Evan DiBiase" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

>>Perhaps because there haven't been many web browsers in Linux. This is
>>starting to change (witness Mozilla, Konqueror, and Opera).
>
> Mozilla is growing more bloated by the hour. If the Windows version of
> Opera is any indication of what the Linux version will be like, forget
> it. Opera is ok for general browsing but it is such a pain in the ass to
> use. It always seems to be complaining about some plug-in that is
> missing when visiting many pages. This is the full, not stripped
> version. I dumped it after screwing around with it all the time. By
> contrast IE 5.x just works and never complains about anything missing.

Finally! IMO web browsers in general are a problem: in Windows, there's
Opera, msiexplorer and Netscape.

MSIexplore is generally easy 2 use and acceptably stable, but
its performance is not what it has to be and there seem to be security
holes (I've heard). Moreover, it's a huge download.

Netscape's interface is all-right, but it's really bloatware too, and you
can tell that by the performance. Moreover, it crashes all the time.

Opera, which I've been trying out for some time, would be my preferred
choice, weren't it that it were highly unstable: it crashes for no
reason. It has, though, a number of good features, like resuming
downloads and ftp capability. Also, it has built-in email service. I'm
not talking about news cause this sucks in Opera. All this is a 2 meg
download! Well, you won't get any plugins then, but that's just another
way to go. You can choose which plugins you will use, but you got to
download them separately.

For Linux, there is Mozilla, (now) Konqueror and of course Netscape as
the most used browsers. Mozilla doesn't seem to get finished, you cannot
do serious surfing with it.

There has been a thread about Netscape 6 in be.comp.os.linux some time
ago (in dutch), I did not try the Linux version yet. For Netscape 4.x I
can say that, though it's interface and usability is mainly good, it is
as bulky as the Windows version and also far too unstable. Also, it
doesn't support wheel mice (the win version doesn't either, isn't it?)
Konqueror is actually still in development.
Opera is still bèta, I'm testing it now but it still has lotsa bugs. I
hope they become fixed soon and that the Linux version becomes as good as
the Windows version (and more stable).

>>If your "This is the accountability you get with open source" statement
>>is supposed to be a cricicism of the Open Source/Free Software model,
>>I'd like to point out that Netscape Navigator versions < 6 are not Open
>>Source.

It shows. I assume 3 quarters of the code are magic numbers.

> As soon as Linux goes commercial, and it will all in good time, it will
> cease to exist. Corel is a classic example of this. People are just not
> going to pay money for the half assed applications that Linux has. They
> are fine for free and in some cases fantastic values (ie:all the server
> and programming tools), but for the mainstream home user, forget it.

I doubt. They would be breaking the gpl then. That means source code from
the kernel can't be used in future version. That means, if Linux goes
fully commercial (I mean, for the kernel and elementary things like the
shells), they would have to build it up from the ground again. And I am
quoting some numbers from the book "Linux unleashed" here:

"Linux is an extremely large and complex piece of software. The kernel
contains1.7 million lines of source code, and by commercial standards, we
would expect the development of Linux to take up 5 to 10 years and
require up to a 500 programmers".

It seems very unlikely to me that Thorvalds and his clan rebuild
everything from the ground, or that they would break their child the GPL.

From: "Frank Van Damme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Song (sung to the turn, oh what a wonderful world) a oldie but
a goodie
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:10:28 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "kiwiunixman"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Reposted from Slashdot
>
> Sung to the tune of (What a) Wonderful world:
>
> (What a) Microsoft World
> ------------------------
>
> <songtext>

> What would the BOFH do?

Haha, that's what I call humor! Has this been recorded yet?
Did you write this yourself?

From: "Frank Van Damme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: yo
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:11:44 +0100

In article <nRDS5.21184$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> i like linux
me too

From: "Frank Van Damme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.2 and KDE2 - Congrats !
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:19:56 +0100

In article <3a1ad8cd$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "James"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Guys,

> Well done Linux community!  You now have a desktop which may stand a
> chance  against W2k.

They already did. But that's a personal opinion, of course ;-)

> The apps are not quite there yet.  E.g.,
> downloaded Netscape  6 which is even worse than Netscape 4.7

What do you mean by "apps not quiet there"? Are you missing anything they
did not include?

From: Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:14:14 GMT

> Said Stuart Fox in alt.destroy.microsoft;
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >  Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thank you, I can do it myself. What I noted is that on a NT4
> >> server version it is not provided. Which I find suspicious.
> >>

> >Indeed.  Very suspicious that they didn't include a utility that was
> >only released last year in a product that they released in 1996.  I
> >think you might be on something here.  Or not.
>
> No, not suspicious.  Utterly predictable, in fact, that MS would not
> have a fundamental functionality included in its standard release,
> wouldn't fix it for years, and then would play games rather than fix
the
> fundamental design flaw which causes this to be a problem.

I was rather unaware that collecting uptime information from the
network was a requirement of an OS.  The uptime tool reports accurate
information, but I can't see how MS having a 49.7 day limit or Linux
having a 497 day limit on information gathered from the network is a
fundamental design flaw.

From: "Frank Van Damme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:28:18 +0100

> And you think posting your real name to an advocacy group does?
>
> claire

Why not? At least, if you have an opinion on something, have the guts to
put your name under it. (I don't mean stupid flamewars).
===========

From: Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:26:04 GMT

In article <8vfovl$12o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <ZvsS5.406$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > sfcybear writes:

what
> is most important. Your silly little word games does NOTHING to chang
> the fact that the NT uptime clock is Useless.

Useless after 49.7 days.  The Linux clock is useless after 497 days.

I don't know of many (any?) NT Admins that feel it is a priority to
collect uptime information from the network.  If they want NT uptimes,
they download the correct tool for the job - the uptime utility.

> For TIME mesurements, the linux clock will give accurate time for ten
> times the time period of NT. There you happy? For all your BS, the NT
> clock is still worthless.

...after 49.7 days.

Where does the definition of worthless kick in Matt?  50 days?  495
days?

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 12:56:08 GMT

Stuart Fox wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Said Stuart Fox in alt.destroy.microsoft;

> > >Indeed.  Very suspicious that they didn't include a utility that was
> > >only released last year in a product that they released in 1996.  I
> > >think you might be on something here.  Or not.
> >
> > No, not suspicious.  Utterly predictable, in fact, that MS would not
> > have a fundamental functionality included in its standard release,
> > wouldn't fix it for years, and then would play games rather than fix
> the
> > fundamental design flaw which causes this to be a problem.
> >
> I was rather unaware that collecting uptime information from the
> network was a requirement of an OS.  The uptime tool reports accurate
> information, but I can't see how MS having a 49.7 day limit or Linux
> having a 497 day limit on information gathered from the network is a
> fundamental design flaw.

Your unawareness on Internet standards tells on you, but
doesn't add anything to the topic.
If you believe that an uptime information of one month and a
half is more than enough. it means that you're accustomed to
MS crapware.

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:46:03 -0500

"> >>> Well done Linux community!  You now have a desktop which may stand a
chance
Netscape

sluggish.

Netscape STILL has these SAME old problems? You say version 6 (the great
MOZILLA) is even worse? Oh my. This has turned into a 'same old, same old'
horror show.

You say you spent the big $$ for an Nvidia geforce256, and you want the sort
of performance that card provides? Then what the F are you doing running it
under an X server? Of course window dragging seems sluggish. X is sluggish.
Gee, I voted for Bush and I want the deficit to continue to shrink. WRONG.
Spending big bucks on hardware for a linux box is IMO pound foolish. I'd
just as soon put premium gas with octane booster in my riding mower.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: I am finding installing a multi-function card needless reading.
Date: 22 Nov 2000 13:44:39 GMT

Dan Hinojosa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why are things so hard?  I just want to install my Xircom Multi-function
> card.  I have myself reading http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ when I
> should be able to click on a driver and let it run, or run a console
> driven program.  There are so many caveats with each individual "distro"
> that I can only hope for some kind consistency.  I am far from idiocy, I
> am proficient in java and C++ but reading what I have to do to install
> this thing is making me nauseus.  Am I using the wrong distro, is there
> a de-facto distro that I may use.  I do not want to spend a lot of time
> making my modem/network card to work, I'd rather be writing code.  I
> really want to make this thing work, so if you have any ideas to make my
> life deservingly easy with this OS I would much appreciate it.

Well, since you're bright and you know C++, why dont you write a nice
easy to install driver for it and share it with the rest of the class?

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux for nitwits
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:53:15 GMT

I had cable modems on the brain at the moment because I was IM'ing my
cousin who is getting one installed today and having grief with the
cable company because he runs Linux.... He's installing Windows just
to make them happy.

I make one mistake and I get crucified..

tough crowd...

claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:54:02 GMT

I know, I know...

I was using Laplink before Laplink was Laplink....

read my reply to Gary...

nobody is perfect...
claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:01:16 GMT

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:19:17 -0500, Gary Hallock
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>r   p   m   -  q  l  p  U  v  h
>
>Yeh, you're right.   Who else but "Penguinista's"  would dream of using
>those wacky characters.
*************************************
New user:

                RPM -Q Lp Vh
Damm why didn't that work?

Ok I'll try           rpm-qlpUvh

Ooopsss that didn't work either.

This Linux sure sucks.

My favorite was YaST under SuSE which up until recently had to be
typed in EXACTLY like      YaST or it would not work. And don't
lecture me about lower and capital case being different under Linux,
and I agree it is a good thing, but a Newbie will be frustrated.

**************************************
Sorry but I prefer putting a CD in and having it ask me if I want to
install or upgrade my current installation.

claire

>> BTW how did your kde experiment work out?
>
>Worked fine.

>Gary

Good for you.

Failed solid for me and I have a co-worker installing Linux on a
Thinkpad today as we speak. Can't wait to see if his works.

claire

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:04:31 -0500

> > Well done Linux community!  You now have a desktop which may stand a
> > chance  against W2k.
>
> They already did. But that's a personal opinion, of course ;-)

Yes indeed. But, if usability is what makes 'standing a chance', not going
to happen. Yet.

> > The apps are not quite there yet.  E.g.,
> > downloaded Netscape  6 which is even worse than Netscape 4.7
>
> What do you mean by "apps not quiet there"? Are you missing anything they
> did not include?

What part of no decent internet browser are you having a problem with?
Sort of like when the republicans missed the point when Bush got tarred by
Clinton...It's the internet, stupid. Three years, Mozilla STILL hasn't
gotten it right. This is the future of open source developing big,
important, main stream applications. Get used to it. You want more? Sure...

What part of no easily programmable back end to an office suite are you
having a problem with?
(uh oh, here comes the mellissa virus BS again...)

What part of a RAD development tool are you having a problem with. (and
don't say Delphi, it's not here yet, and I'll bet the only folks who
purchase it will be windows hackers, and the linux community will say "I
don't want no stinkin delphi runtime support on my box")

 Where are my reference works? Educational software? Gak! there arent
any?!?!
You had a good set of tools in Corel, but you hung them out to dry because
you don't spend money for software. Now, where are my group & revision tools
in a word processor? Does Koffice or wingz do pivot tables and-or-  what if
scenarios10 ways to Sunday? Business uses those you know...I could go on,
but this is like talking to the Russians. Senseless.

> --
> Never underestimate the power of Linux-Mandrake
> 7.2 on an AMD K7 800 / 128.

What am to underestimate? That some people will take the time to tell me
what hardware they run? Sheesh.
I do know that if I had spent the $$ on that setup, the only way linux would
be on it would be either dual boot or with vmware. My linux box runs on a
PPRO 200. I think those once $1000 chips are selling for under $50 now. Oh,
and BTW, NT smokes linux on the same box.
Even when running cute little C binaries. But I don't mind that. I run gnu
gcc, gdb, with a couple of open xterms on 4 desktops. Very cool. But as soon
as I go on the internet, I jump on the windows box. What do you think
Q-public is doing? Playing with gcc?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:04:27 GMT

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:31:36 GMT, "Les Mikesell"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Try a RedHat 6.2 or up 'workstation' install if you want the
>machine not to run any services.  Normally I want to use the
>computer so I want services enabled.  However, that has
>nothing to do with the earlier posting about Microsoft arbitrarily
>moving the ports for file sharing without telling anyone.  Quick
>now, which router ports do you block to keep netbios-over-tcp
>from leaking out?
>
>       Les Mikesell
>           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

That's fine for the people who buy RedHat. What about the people who
buy SuSE, which overall I feel is a much better product? They are left
wide open unless they know enough to shut things down. And if you
think the average home user even knows what TCP/IP is you are wrong.

As for your router question, I have no idea.

BlackIce works fine for me and according to www.hackerwhacker.com my
ports are stealthed.

claire

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Small Distro?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:09:50 -0500

"> I think debian 1.3 (aka 'bo') was the last libc5 version of debian, so
> if you're really strapped for space, it's slightly slimmer.  The linux
> router project used bo as the basis for this reason, iirc.
>
> 400M should allow a reasonable installation, however.

This is small? My god, I could fit 3 NT 4 installations in that space and
have room for, yes I know it's a foreign concept, an application or two!!!