Linux-Advocacy Digest #522, Volume #30           Wed, 29 Nov 00 11:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: Statistic about this bigot group ("Ken McFelea")
  Re: What is the best/most powerful distro of linux? (SwifT -)
  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... ("Ken McFelea")
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! ("Chad Myers")
  Re: The Sixth Sense (Ian Davey)
  Re: The Sixth Sense ("PLZI")
  Re: Is design really that overrated? (Mike Raeder)
  Re: linux on a 486 (Kevin Croxen)
  Re: Statistic about this bigot group (Gerson Kurz)
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: Whistler review. ("JS/PL")
  Linux is inevitable! (sfcybear)
  Re: C++ -- Our Industry... (Bruce Scott TOK)
  Re: Statistic about this bigot group (Jacques Guy)
  How Tux helps Linux succeed (was: Is design really that (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: C++ -- Our Industry... (Jacques Guy)

From: "Ken McFelea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Statistic about this bigot group
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:13:02 +0600

.

>  91 Users -  Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4522.1200
> 121 Users -  Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
> 126 Users -  Mozilla 4.5 [en]C-CCK-MCD {TLC;RETAIL}  (Win98; U)
> 268 Users -  Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400

The top 4 are Outlook Express?!? Now THAT is a scary thought. Even when I
was a Windows user I never went near OE. This is either Newbieville or
there were 480 posts from people who don't require much in the way of a
newsreader.

Pan is king!

------------------------------

From: SwifT - <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is the best/most powerful distro of linux?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:05:41 +0100

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> Not Redhat. You'll get frustrated.

He means: Not RedHat 7.0. The 6.2 is very adequate and stable. Also the
user-friendlyness and wide availability of programs and support is a good
help.

Allright, Debian may be more for pro's, but it can't do more or less than
a RedHat-based pc. Don't forget linux is linux - a distribution is no more
than a bunch of programs fit together.

The answer is simple and common: "Use the distro you think you'll like the
most. If you can't choose, take one which one (or more) of your friends
use - it makes it easier if you have problems."

--
 SwifT

------------------------------

From: "Ken McFelea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:24:52 +0600

In article <wYPU5.3418$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "the_blur"
<the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://pages.infinit.net/outcasts/pinguinos.html
>
>> Really fine drawings. I don't know anything about art, but you sure can
>> hold a crayon in your hands.
>>
>> One remark: Tux was never meant to be taken serious. It reflects the
>> character of the linux community: just a stupid picture,

> Hehe, I'm just following SOP to design a proper animal graphic. First, I
> draw pennguins. Lots of penguins, then I'll start stylizing them into
> graphic images, then I'll refine..refine and refine... and then start
> over for another pinguino.

You might start by offering some artwork to the people at Mandrake. Nice
OS. Terrible artwork.

Ken

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:08:07 GMT

"Andrew Suprun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:BB_U5.99725$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Byrns) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >> Doh.  How do you get a trojan onto a unix machine?
> >
> >Ask the folks that used them for the widespread DDoS attacks on eBay et.
> >al. earlier this year.
>
> May be thay should switch from Windows they currently run on to
> some Unix boxes to prevent such kinds of attacks.

The DDoSers, or the DDoSees?  I'm sorry, but switching to Unix wouldn't
have helped Ebay. A DDoS is a DDoS no matter what OS you're running.

It's interesting to note that an overwhelming majority of the DDoSer
machines were Linux boxes that were compromised by the people
initiating the attack.

-Chad

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:44:20 GMT

In article <kITU5.314$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "PLZI"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Please explain. I am *still* waiting those pesky little technical details.
>
>> >Of course it is, but not about the MS being a monopoly or not. As it says.
>It
>> >is a answer to question: "tea or coffee?" - "neither, thanks."  Now which
>one
>> > I do like more, tea or coffee?
>>
>> Which do you prefer, obeying the law or breaking the law?
>
>Now that wouldn't be the US Law you're referring to? Sorry, I'm Finnish.

Well, European law as well, the EU is already working on it's own case against
Microsoft's abuse of its monopoly power. And if the US case proves ineffective
or too slow they'll be ready to step in.

ian.

 \ /
(@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
/(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
 | |

------------------------------

From: "PLZI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:56:22 GMT

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Please explain. I am *still* waiting those pesky little technical details.

> >It
> >one
> >>
> >> Which do you prefer, obeying the law or breaking the law?
> >
> >Now that wouldn't be the US Law you're referring to? Sorry, I'm Finnish.
>
> Well, European law as well, the EU is already working on it's own case
against
> Microsoft's abuse of its monopoly power. And if the US case proves
ineffective
> or too slow they'll be ready to step in.

Don't hold your breath. I know I'm not. Which reminds me, I forgot to
mention, that we are still talking about an opinion. Mine, to be exact. Mr.
Devlin so nicely asked, which do I prefer, obeying the law or breaking it.

Now let us see.

If the law finds, say OJ Simpson, not guilty, we can safely say that anyone
who thinks he is a killer, is somehow against the law, and prefers breaking
it (as "what do I think about the US Legal system ruling in MS case" would
lead to the question of do I prefer breaking the law or not.).

Now is that interesting or what?

- PLZI

------------------------------

From: Mike Raeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is design really that overrated?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:34:41 -0500

mark wrote:

> >> It's sad, but the reason you quoted all those brands is because they are
> >> strong (snobby) brands and they made an impression onn you, probably because
> >> of the adverts (which I hate BTW, they annoy me). Apple built a brand
> >> appealing to same things as these companies. Think of Nike, they have an
> >> excellent creative team doing their ads, but for some reason (I guessing
> >> it's because there is no Linux, only TONS of marginally different
> >> distributions) Linux as an OS has no brand image that I can think of, except
> >> the goofy penguin. I think it's due for an image update.
> >
> >I'd hate to say it, but you are correct in the sense that
> >this is what das publik wants.  Granted, I personally like
> >the cute penguins, but the publik wants The Sharper Image.
> >I hope the best for your project.
>
> Is it?  This is only effective if you have a multi-million advertising
> budget.

We are talking about the general publik here.  I'm not
saying that I really care for Linux to be mass marketed.  I
do know that the general publik likes to be spoonfed
technology with snappy looking GUIs.

> This whole thread assumes that the *only* way of gaining brand
> recognition, image etc., is through advertising and pretty pictures
> and logos.  This is simply not true.
>
> The _internet_ is amazingly well known, but has no brand image or
> logo at all.

What about AOL?

--
My Australian Shepherd is smarter than your honour student

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Croxen)
Subject: Re: linux on a 486
Date: 29 Nov 2000 14:09:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Terry Porter wrote:
>On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:47:02 -0800, Micah Higgs
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>is it possibul to put linux on a 486/66mhz with only a floppy drive?
>Sure, I have it on my 386/sx25 mhz router right now.
>
>It boots from the floppy drive, and thats all it needs.
>
>On the other hand you may mean, 'can I install, Linux with only a floppy drive'
>?
>The answer is yes to that as well.You can d/l a minimal floppy dist of Debian
>(www.debian.org) on 8 floppies (2.0.36 kernel), that will run on a 120 meg hdd,
>thats what Ive got on my spare which is an old 486/50.
>
>You can do just about anything with Linux

Likewise the base install and minimal networking capabilities can be done
with Slackware 7.1 (2.2.16) by floppy, to the level where one has a
complete base system and enough networking capability to install anything
else from the distro over a LAN or from a download. If one uses older
Slack (through about 3.4 or 5; 2.0.34 or so), all packages are installable
by floppy. Many of the packages got too big for a single diskette after
that.

--Kevin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerson Kurz)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:27:46 GMT

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:50:03 GMT, sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>They do no such thing. They do not say what type of post comes from what
>type of device.
Ever heard of header fields in postings ? In "Free Agent", select
"Show All Header Files"; I don't think MOE will give you that much.

Besides, I have to admit the statistics was incorrect in that I said

268 Users -  Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400

and so on, I should've said

268 Postings -  Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400

But the rest is simple mail parsing.

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:37:44 GMT

"." wrote:

> > > So basically the guy on the phone at MS should have said "Do you expect
> > > software testers to test the software properly?"
> >
> > For those reasons I can't blame software testers, I do blame software
> > designers, and managers on top of them. But, given a monopoly condition,
> > even such incredible errors don't influence profits, so nobody really
> > cares. Except users.
>
> Please excuse me, I didn't mean at all to place the blame on the testers!
> Perhaps what I should have said was "Do you expect us at Microsoft to
> test our software properly?".

Nothing to excuse, we're just exchanging opinions.
I just wanted to stress that the problem ins not just of
testing. It goes deep to the root.

> I doubt as many testers as they had would have just sat by and rebooted
> without reporting the problems.  Professional testers know what they are
> doing, but without some kind of support, the bugs they find will not get
> fixed.  I firmly believe many testers were told things like "Oh, that
> happens sometimes, just reboot".
>
> We already know MS don't like to fix bugs unless a major player is
> screaming about it... why do they even have a testing procedure?  Just to
> make sure their product stands up long enough to look pretty and get
> purchased?

I don't credit too much good will to MS. They don't need to.
They're a monopoly.
But IMO in many cases they just *can't* fix the bugs,
because bugs aren't just programmer errors in an otherwise
sound architecture. To fix a bug they must find a workaround
to a basic design flaw. This is hard, takes a long time, and
sometimes it's simply impossible.

If you refer to Ed Allen's posting on this very NG about the
"crashme" tests, you may well understand what I mean.

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:47:42 GMT

Ed Allen wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 28 Nov 2000 19:24:59
> >>
> >>Really?
> >>Put
> >>mem = <some value greater than your RAM>kb
> >>in lilo.conf
> >>reboot.
> >>kernel panic
> >>There has been a discussion about this about a month ago.
> >>Isn't is a case where the OS fail?
> >
> >No, it is a case where you misconfigured it, and it dutifully did
> >precisely what you told it, to the best of its ability.  Its not like
> >such a goofball thing to do is going to cause the OS to scribble all
> >over every config file on the system, causing cascading errors even once
> >the thing is changed back, unless you scrub the system and re-install
> >everything.
> >
> Sorry to butt in here but this seems relevant:
>
> Name: crashme

>     Tests operating system environment robustness by invoking
>     random data as if it was a procedure.
>
> ==========< From the history of the SPARC port of Linux >====================
> Stability
>
>    Testing the stability of an operating system is not an easy job. We
>    used the fine Crashme program to automate the process of finding
>    problematic areas on the kernel. The SparcLinux team did a hard work at
>    answering the question from users and responding as quick as "190ible
>    to the bug reports from the users that were either beta testing the
>    kernel or those users that had an installed Linux/SPARC system.
>
>    In short, Crashme is a program that tries to execute random garbage
>    code over and over. This program is known to bring down most commercial
>    Unix operating systems (including both of the Sun operating systems).
>
>    The routine use of Crashme on the Linux/SPARC port became part of the
>    developement cycle (up to the point of having the team leader starting
>    Crashme from his init scripts).  The Crashme helped to find lots of
>    problems in the port that were fixed as soon as Crashme spotted them.
>

>    Thanks to having an international team of developers and support
>    people, when the first Linux/SPARC distribution on CD went out we had
>    a very strong port: a port that had taken only 22 months to engineer
>    and complete (starting from scratch up to releasing the operating
>    system on a bootable CD-ROM).

> Somewhere, I lost the link, there is a website which used to keep a
> record of how long each OS would run crashme before failing.
>
> They quit updating the site when Linux times reached a week and all
> the others failed within the first two days.  NT times were in minutes.
>
> So yes, a well designed OS will survive garbage being thrown at it.

You see, your definition simply doesn't apply to Windows.
Instead of "well" you should write "badly" instead of
"designed" you should put "piled up", instead of OS you
should write "collection of system routines". Such a
combination hardly survives to a number of well designed
applications running on it. Let alone garbage!

However, thank you for your "butting in".

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:50:54 -0500

"Peter Ammon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JS/PL wrote:
> >

> > And give me an example of a .dll file or .exe I can't open for reading.
> > just dropped msimn.exe (outlook express) into notepad for viewing while
it
> > is running, I then proceeded to RENAME it while it is running without so
> > much as a warning prompt without any problems. Windows simply kept
msimn.exe
> > and added the newly named duplicate msimn1.exe to the folder.
>
> Wait, are you saying that you can't rename an open file under Windows
> without making a copy?
>
> I've got a file open in AppleWorks right now, and I rename it as I would
> any file, in the Finder.  Not only do I not get "so much as a warning
> prompt," the name change is immediately reflected in the title bar of
> the window where I edit the file.
>
> -Peter

That's not what I said. Kulkis made reference to .exe files not "any file" I
too have an open file and can rename it. If I have file.txt open, it can be
renamed file1.txt without having to make a copy because there's no
dependency elsewhere which gets broken, such as shortcuts or associations.

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux is inevitable!
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:36:39 GMT

Linux is moving faster than expected! But hey, we knew it would!

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/hightech/001129/4958837.html

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Scott TOK)
Subject: Re: C++ -- Our Industry...
Date: 29 Nov 2000 15:57:15 +0100

In article <B8LU5.162$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Bruce Scott TOK" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> All you guys in all these threads are forgetting Fortran.  There is a
>> big wide world out there in which this is still dominant.  And it has
>> some of the tightest standards anywhere.
>
>Most of us have forgotten it for a reason. <g>

You must not want to actually calculate anything :-)

>> I don't think it will ever die in scientific computing (note that isn't
>> just academic either...).
>
>My dream is Fortran making a death pact with RPG and COBOL.

COBOL will apparently outlive everything!

--
cu,
Bruce

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 15:30:45 +0000
From: Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

MH wrote:

> These stats just prove it again. --and again and again and again and
> again...

Your stats prove nothing. Your first hidden assumption is:

"you may not advocate an operating system unless you use it
 exclusively."

It amounts to calling smokers and alcoholics bigots when
they can't kick the habit, even if they want to.

The corollary is:

"you may only advocate what you use."

and amounts to: you may not express the desire to kick the
habit unless you have already kicked it.

Your second hidden assumption is that all have
access to their preferred system at all times,
working time for instance.

That amounts to calling "bigot" every East German
who would have preferred freedom, but could not jump the
wall, for the Vopos' bullets.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: How Tux helps Linux succeed (was: Is design really that
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:36:35 +0100

It was the Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:13:16 -0500...
...and the_blur <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com> wrote:
> Why is the Linux penguin used so much when it's so goddamned goofy-looking?
> This thing I see at boot (the scrolling list of things that load when you
> start Mandrake) assaults my sense of style. Why do you all have to put up
> with such a silly-looking mascot?

The Linux penguin is one of the greatest logos I know. Its
un-logo-ness is the key to this:

1. it is not offensive or aggressive: it looks calm and friendly

2. it will not clash with a non-technical environment (try pinning a
   Windows logo to your shirt at a party)

3. people who will not recognise it will still see a cute penguin in it

4. it's got nearly no connotations because most people don't know
   altogether too much about what penguins are like

5. any penguin will look like it, so many companies can derive
   penguin-based logos from it and you'll still get the reference (it's
   hard to derive a different logo from, say, the Windows logo)

6. it is easy to turn into very creative forms of merchandise (cuddly
   toys, inflatable toys, penguin-shaped soap, ...) because it is an
   animal with a compact shape without sharp protrusions or holes

7. it looks infantine and thus appeals to the subconscious

8. its two-dimensional image consists of uncomplicated forms and flat
   coloured surfaces with a simple, yet distinct colour scheme; that
   makes it easy to render in any colour scheme, including greyscale
   and black-and-white

9. it can be recognised easily by its shape alone, even if distorted
   and/or clipped (Tux-shaped shadows falling over some kind of
   landscape are a popular element in corporate Linux advertisements)

I could go on. Tux, in this respect, shares many properties with the
original Apple logo at the time it came out (i.e. 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8,
9).

> It looks like a drawing someone scribbled on the back of a napkin!
> It's terrible that the aesthetic aspects of the linux OS take such a
> back seat to everything else! Linux logos, like the GNU bull (or
> whatever it is) look unpolished and unprofessional. The Xfree86 logo
> would absolutely fail in any one of my corporate identity design
> projects, the globe is _the_ most clichéd element in corporate
> design,

So? XFree is not a corporation. BTW, the globe has become somewhat of
an universally accepted symbol for the Internet, which makes it a nice
symbol for a communal, Internet-based development effort such as
XFree.

mawa
--
Friends don't let friends use MS-DOS
                                                       -- Duane Fields

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:19:08 +0200

"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <8vv5ce$5nime$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Not without root permissions, it can't.  You really don't
> >> understand the unix security model, which is causing you
> >> to fully misunderstand why the scenario you describe
> >> cannot happen.
> >>
> >> Please take a look at Eric Raymond's intro to unix, it
> >> will help you no end with these quite hard questions.
> >
> >Oh, I am.
> >The point I was trying to make that 9x is a *single user OS*
> >You seem to be unable to understand what a *single user OS* is.
> >A *single user OS* has no cocept of permissions.
> >On a *single user OS*, the *single user* has root-like status.
> >
> >Now, try to make the same arguement for the NT line, and you fail.
> >
> >You really need to understand the concept of *single user OS*.
> >
> >If you want to talk about the *disadvantages* of single user OS, that is
> >another matter, but trying to compare a *single user OS* security model
> >(non-existant) to a linux or unix is laughable.
> >Why don't you compare a bike to a motorcycle?
> >No, that is not a good enough comparition, why don't you compare a
carrige
> >carried on the back of a hundred turtles (average land turtles, normal
speed
> >400 meters per hour) to a Formola 1 car?
> >

> You cannot install anything on a unix machine without the
> appropriate permissions.

I know, what is your point?

> To get something started by init, you need to be running
> with root's permissions.
>
> Go and read Eric's papers, that will help you understand.

Read what I said, please.
And reply in *context* to this.
How does being unable to install software on unix without having permissions
has to do with win9x being single user OS?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:26:07 +0200

> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:21:42
> >"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:2VGU5.25225$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:8vv78g$5nghc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> What would you have used in 1996?  Which major vendor could have
> >> sold you a PC without paying for a copy of Windows?
> >
> >A> When I buy a computer, I don't go to major vendor. On general, I
rather
> >build my computers per my needs.
>
> Goody for you.  Why should anyone care?

Les does.
He asked it.

> >B> English isn't your first too? For future reference, the word "will",
as
> >used in the context of my words, indicate that I'm talking about
something
> >in the future. Unless you got the time table from Aaron, the future is
not
> >1996.
>
> Just in case it escaped your notice, the contraction you used means you
> said "I will always will."  HTH

Yes, of course.
I always had the choice of OS, and I always will have that choice.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:28:35 +0200

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:oL0V5.25845$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:900bse$61qq2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > What would you have used in 1996?  Which major vendor could have
> > > sold you a PC without paying for a copy of Windows?
> >
> > A> When I buy a computer, I don't go to major vendor. On general, I
rather
> > build my computers per my needs. Vednor system has much quircks that I
> don't
> > like. Therefor, I don't have a problem here.
>
> What do you do when you need a hundred at once, delivered to some other
> office?  Or even a few dozen rack-mount systems?

"Hello, it's me again. I need computer with the following specs. Can I've
them by next week? Yes, I knew I could, thank you very much. And please
arange that they would be delivered to this adress. Nice talking to you"

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:04:45 +0000
From: Jacques Guy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

mmnnoo wrote:
> Check out the new section on
> Microsoft's homepage, "Building an Online Business."
> http://www.microsoft.com/business/ecommerce/build/default.asp

I like the beginning:

"Planning a dot-com is just like planning any other
business operation: You need to define your
business strategies and determine which
technologies will help you meet your goals."

I want to open a restaurant (or a restaurant chain,
why not go the whole hog), ALL I need to do is
define my business strategies and determine
which technologies will help me set up my restaurant
(or my restaurant chain).  I've taken that example
because I know zilch about cooking and catering,
and I wouldn't know a business strategy if I
stepped in one. Oh, got it! All I  need to
do is get Microsoft Office for my business
strategy and a row of Microsoft Ovens for
my technology (or should that be Microwave
Ovens? Nah, Microsoft! Microwave ovens
cook crappy grub). And then apply to be
listed in the Mich..rosoft Guide for an
affordable monthly tithe. Also, make a
deposit towards my subscription to the
Microsoft Customers' Bankrupcy Help Line.
Planning ahead is the secret!