From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:38:02 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > "Chronos Tachyon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> in
> > > message news:dnXL6.12464$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> setting

> provided
> function.
> call

> kernel
> support
> > > and
> approach of
> > >
> > > That is wrong. There is a simple utility to run to switch between the
> uni
> > > processor kernel and mutiprocessor kernel for NT4. W2K does not have
> this
> > > problem and you can change motherboard and CPU counts under it no
> problem,
> > > it reconfigures itself automatically when you come back up. I recently
> went
> > > from a uniprocessor m/b to a dual board and just shut down, changed
> hardware
> > > and came back up; had to reboot once more after it detected the changes.
> >
> > Count yourself lucky.  After XP comes out, you'll need to call a (as-
> > yet-unspecified-if-it-will-be-toll-free) phone number to beg
> > permission to boot the machine back up.
>
> Not true.  You'll have 45 days to activate the software from the time you
> install or overhaul your machine (simple hardware changes won't trigger a
> re-activation).  It will be toll-free, as the Office activation number is
> toll-free already.

Who cares?? Most of us will prefer Linux or a good UNIX!

From: Julian Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MRPF
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:40:16 GMT

Didn't do a Dave H, but not a word has been said about anything
of yesterday.

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Siegal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:41:35 -0700

Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
> Far, far more transient, as the cache is flushed when the
> processor switches tasks (hundred of times per second).

Not necessarily.  Most caches are physically addressed and don't need to
be, should not be, and are not flushed merely because a task switches.
Doing so would make task switching far, far more expensive.

> I don't know a CPU that can access its cache as a separate
> memory device (ie the CPU issues a memory address, and the
> cache ensures the CPU gets the data as soon as possible.
> You can't address the cache as such).

I've never been convinced that the CPU being able to access the cache
directly is relevant.  The statute says with the aid of a machine or
device; it does not say with the aid of the CPU, nor does it say with
the aid of the machine or device of which the medium is a part.

> No, _could_ be reproduced. You'll need to add circuitry to
> enable you to access those components.

Which is entirely consistent with what the statute says: "with the aid
of a machine or device."  It says nothing about what sort of machine or
device.  I think the intent is that the copy physically be there; how
easy or hard it is to perceived or reproduced does not appear to be
relevant.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:40:29 -0700

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Abit BX-133 Mb w/current bios
> > > Pentium III 500
> > > 256 Mb PC-133 ECC
> > > Four 40 gig Seagate 7200 rpm ATA100 drives stripped and mirrored in
> hardware
> > > (onboard HPT370 dual channel RAID controller)
> > > 2 x Intel Server NICs
> > > generic CD-ROM and floppy
> > > aopen case, no extra cooling
> > > generic SIS AGP video card cause we use terminal services for remote
> admin
> > > so we almost never login locally.
> > > APC 1400 UPS connected via serial cable
> > >
> > > EVERYTHING without exception loaded using the standard Windows 2000
> Server
> > > CD, I upgraded the NIC adapter driver cause there were some neat
> features in
> > > the intel driver instead of the one from MS, but that was unnecessary.
> > >
> > > Works perfectly solid, we started at 128 megs but upgraded to 256 when
> we
> > > decided to run active directory on this machine after that department
> was
> > > moved to a different floor. It's backed up over the network so no local
> > > backup device.
> > >
> > > Thats it. Nothing special.
> > >
> > > CPU utilization is practically nothing - we only used the 500 cause it
> was
> > > the best price break at the time of purchase.
> > How much ($) for 144 licenses? had you used Linux, or if you used a
> > commercial UNIX, Solaris 8 x86 or UNIXWare 7.1.1 you wouldn't have those
> > issues.
>
> Have what issues? I have no issues. yes, I paid for the CALs - yep, sure
> did. But everything works perfectly. I get what I pay for and it works
> BETTER than anything else with the Windows desktops it supports. You have
> given me no reason why I'd want to switch to using unix to support windows
> desktops other than the upfront, one time purchase cost (and forgetting it
> costs more to support a unix server cause it's harder to configure and
> operate)

Who Cares??  Only intelligent people use Linux and UNIX!  It's cheaper
for the Linux and UNIX people to administrate.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 10:42:26 +0100

>> level process stuff is very simple: fork() as opposed to
>> CreateProcess(), for example.  To be sure, CreateProcess() does have
>> the advantage of putting all the stuff in one place -- but there's just
>> so much of it.
>
> Yes, but is fork better? fork is mostly useless byitself- you need
> exec() or whatever it is called to load the process. It's a strange,
> roundabout way to launch another process. Yes, it means you don't need a
> special way to say
> "use *these* file descrptors"; but the structure
> of the code you must supply instead is rather contorted to my way of
> thinking.

It depends on what you use it for, really. I think its pretty neat, but I
can see how opinions might vary. Yep it can't do much, but that's what
exec is for.

> X has been very stable- to the point of being stagnant. X still deals in
> physical pixels and even physical pixel *values*, and makes the
> programmed provide all abstraction.
>
> X could stand to be a great deal more device-independant than it is. But
> instead, it's stable.

Well, yes and no. If you program in Xlib, it is a royal pain in the neck
at times. However, most of the modern toolkits provide suitable
abstraction.

> I think that's a bug, not a feature. :(

Well, you have to have device dependance somewhere. The design of X puts
it in the toolkit, rather than the protocol. I don't see how it really
makes much difference either way.

-Ed

--
You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.

u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

------------------------------

From: Greg Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:42:22 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Said Greg Cox in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 14 May 2001 00:02:42
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >>
> >> The value of intellectual property is whatever someone pays for it.
> >> Therefore Napster contributors, having paid nothing for the songs they
> >> trade, cannot ever be guilty of direct infringement, nor can Napster be
> >> guilty of contributory infringement.
> >
> >Come on, Max.  Is your arguement really "If I steal something then what
> >I stole really has no value because I didn't pay anthing for it."?
>
> You seem to have switched the roles around and not realized it makes a
> difference.  Infringement is not "stealing".  If I copy some words, then
> what I copied has no monetary value unless I charge someone for them.
> It makes a big difference when you throw out the metaphorical claptrap
> and leave the facts and their analytical meaning, doesn't it?
>
> No,
> >Max, the value is established in the normal market.  I believe a court
> >would normally go by the MSRP.

Ah, I stand corrected.  It's not "If I steal something then what I stole
really has no value because I didn't pay anthing for it.".  Your
position is "If I steal something then what I stole really has no value
because I gave it away to someone else for free."  You're quite correct.
How could I possibly not have seen this "fact"?

I believe infringement == stealing.  That's why it's called piracy.
Just because you don't make any money off it doesn't mean you haven't
stolen someone else's rightful property.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:42:12 -0700

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Ever admined a SUN box? or an IBM Mainframe?
> >
> > How is this relevant to posting scores using Linux on the TPC?
> >
> > -c
> Obviously by that response you are a sad little individual who is still
> pissed off that they did not have the intellect to pass a UNIX admin
> course.  How come Work and Income New Zealand uses HP-UX servers? why
> does the New Zealand Stock Exchange uses a s/390 mainframe?
>
> Matthew Gardiner

Hell, Matthew, Jan doesn't even know what the terms s/390 mean, let
alone HP-UX.

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS POLL!
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:45:12 GMT

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Tom Wilson wrote:
> >
> > "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > When I was younger, I thought it would be interesting to join the
Peace
> > > Corps and work in a third-world country.  It looks like the travel
> > > requirement is going to go away.
> >
> > If you're in a hurry, just move to California. When the final dotcom
dries
> > up ,the rolling blackouts come your way,  and the tree-hugger police
remove
> > your washing machine and freezer (Can't let the capitolist pigs waste
water
> > and hoard food, now can we?)  - Just add one good earthquake and you're
in
> > Bangledesh!
> >
> > Glad I turned down the job offer that would have had me living in that
> > hell-hole!
>
> Pretty much hit the nail on the head!  Sorry to hear that charlie has to
> put up with a bunch of dick-weeds.  California is about to run into
> another problem that is going to eclipse the energy problems tho...  the
> so called minority is now the official majority there.  The black
> population and the mexican population is going to come to loggers pretty
> soon.  It is the mexican population that is now the majority in Los
> Angeles. Whites are now a definite minority.  But its the other two
> majorities that are having problems now and it is only a matter of
> time.  I wouldn't be living in L.A. for all the money in the world right
> now.

As far as the racial tensions go, the only experience I have there was
listening to the Rodney King riots while a vendor I dealt with held the
phone out of the Window. I felt like I was talking to a war correspondant
rather than a hardware vendor. (They camped out at the office for nearly
four days as it was too dangerous for them to leave and they were Korean to
boot)

The biggest factor in my turning down the job, aside from my dislike of
corporate environments and an obscene cost of living, was the idiotic
socio-political climate. You could see what's happening right now was coming
years ago! They exist in an alternative reality of sorts.

I settled in Southern TN. a few years ago and have never regretted the
decision. Business freindly and sane politics. Race relations are just fine,
thank you very much. No rolling blackouts (except when some idiot took a
hairpin corner by the office so fast that he left the road and sheared a
utility pole off at the ground. I guess that could loosly be described as a
"rolling blackout" as we had to down the servers).

Oh yeah, we do our laundry in machines as opposed to beating the stuff on
rocks by the river and we cram our spare freezers with red meat that we eat
without the least bit of guilt. I'm not relegating my spot at the top of the
food chain so some cow can "Have A Nice Day".

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:46:43 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > So you don't mind paying thousands of dollars for electicity bills
> > > relating to keeping a room cool (via air conditioning)?  Maybe you
> > > should start sharing that money tree with everyone.
> >
> > Hmmm
> > Cost to cool room with 8 processor server: $2000 a year
> > Cost to cool room with 12 processor server: $2010 a year
> > Cost to embaress Matt on usenet again: priceless!
>
> Evidently, Yan Yohanson has never taken a thermodynamic course.

He may very well have! :-))  Someone caught him sticking his toe in the
water to see if it was too cold.  That someone shoved him in to see if
there were any sharks about so he could go swimming!

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:48:41 -0700

"robert68@com" wrote:

> In article <GkoL6.73$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Tom says...
>

> >I don't know *what* happened with Borland. They used to be second to none
> >with their development tools. Ever since that Turbo Basic fiasco, they've
> >went straight to pot.
> >

> Borland seems to be in the way back, and have turned around from the big
> hole they have been dug in for years.
>
> Their Java IDE (JBuilder) is now number one IDE. http://www.borland.com/jbuilder
>
> They just announced Delphi6, and from the looks of it, it will rock.
> http://www.borland.com/delphi
>
> They have Kylix for Linux (Delphi for Linux), the only RAD tool for Linux.
> http://www.borland.com/kylix
>
> Soon they will release Borland C++ for Linux also.

I sure hope so!  They made a mean compiler a while ago.  If they make
one for Linux then it will be a jump forward.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux in college & high school
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:53:17 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Mon, 14 May 2001 01:45:04 GMT, Mudshark wrote:
>
> >The high-school is a fantastic place to introduce linux. there are
> >tons of older 486 machines lying about with vga monitors everywhere,
> >hell, slap linux on every one of them, and you have a state of the art
> >programming/ tcp/ip networking environment in no time.
> >
> >Kandah
>
> Wonderful idea!
>
> I donate Linux CD's and books to the local library all the time.
> Somebody has to compete with all of the landscaping books on the
> shelves.
>
> For those of you who don't live on Long Island NY your lawn is your
> life. It's got to look like a golf course or you can't show your face
> outside.
> I buck the trend having a completely organic lawn with no chemicals
> and it looks natural but nice at the same time.
>
> And these people wonder why L.I. has the highest incidence of breast
> cancer in the USA.

I'm glad I live on the west coast in the boonies.  Right now the air is
perfumed with blossoming trees and wild shrubs.  Only mowed my lawn once
this year. No pollution yet...  but not for long.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Good Tex Pdf Files was Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS    Office
97/2000?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 10:57:58 +0100

>     Edward> Another alternative it so to
>
>     Edward> \usepackage{times}
>
> Well?   I like the  CMR fonts.   Many laymen  to whom  I have  shown a
> printout in  CMR fonts  ask me  "What font is  that?  That  looks very
> nice!".  Well... that it looks nice may be partly due to the excellent
> typesetting capability  of TeX (kerning,  ligatures, hyphenation), but
> the font should receive the credit,  too.  (No, I didn't show them any
> equation.  They'd be shocked that I could have the equations so neatly
> formatted -- publisher's quality.)

True. I like the cmr fonts better as well. However, by default, the cmr
fonts are imported in to PDFs as bitmaps. While they print fine (on a
printer of the matching resolution) they look ugly on the screen and
display very slowly.

> So,  you can  generate PDF  more directly  with pdflatex.   Instead of
> generating DVI, it generates PDF *directly*.  It can somehow embed the
> CMR
>  fonts in  the PDF  file.   I think  it embeds  the outlines,  not
> bitmaps, because  zooming-in many times does not  creat any saw-teeth,
> but smooth curves.
>
> The  only drawback  is that  pdflatex doesn't  support  EPS inclusion.
> You'll have  to convert them to  PDF (with 'epstopdf')  first.  On the
> other hand, pdflatex supports inclusion of PNG files directly.

Thanks, I dodn't know that.

>     Edward>  Unfortunately, you have to use the Times fonts Edward>
>     since the (fantastic) cmr fonts have to be brought in as Edward>
>     bitmaps, which is rotten.
>
> Wrong again.   I've discovered on the Internet  some *free* Postscript
> fonts that  are "equivalent" to  the CMR fonts.  It's  called "bakoma"
> fonts.  Install the  *.pfb files and modify your  font-map file in the
> DVIPS config.  Then, DVIPS will include these outline fonts instead of
> generating bitmap versions in the resulting Postscript files.
>
> This is not the only choice.  There's also "bluesky" fonts. See also
>         http://www.fluidlab.naoe.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~minnie/TeX/#CMFonts
> Have a look in:
>         http://www.rarf.riken.go.jp/archives/tex-archive/fonts/cm/ps-type1/
> or other CTAN (www.ctan.org) mirrors.

I'm no expert on fonts, but I don't understand why the CMR fonts can't be
converted in to type1 fonts dierctly, since metafont is a vector drawing
language.

-Ed

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT Movies
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:56:44 -0700

Dave Martel wrote:

> On Mon, 14 May 2001 00:09:08 +0100, Nigel Feltham
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >> Well that's nice that you work in such lovely datacenters but surely you
> >> agree that movies *never* capture the real appeal of technical work (for
> >> instance the complexity mentioned by the original poster).
> >>

> >My favourite is the scene in Jurassic park where the kids instantly
> >recognise the unix system and know how to reboot it ( but obviously not how
> >to just restart the electric fence control deamon).
> >

> I always liked the old SeaView series about an atomic submarine. The
> computer was one big wall of flashing lights from which the computer
> guy could deduce the most detailed of information. (Quick glance at
> wall of randomly flashing lights, then "Sir, there's a monster squid
> headed our way. It weighs 25,000 pounds and is coming from 127.2
> degrees. It's 35 nautical miles out, and will be here in 2 minutes".)
>
> Then when the giant squid attacked the submarine, the computer would
> first shower the crew with high-voltage sparks and then explode
> spectacularly. 15 minutes later Damage Control would have it fixed.
>
> The next week it would explode again. And the next, and the next...

Hehehe... or the painted plywood that was supposed to be the bulkheads.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Economist and Open-Source
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 01:59:01 -0700

Roy Culley wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > Isn't regression testing to ensure that the additions/modifications
> > donot cause problems to the rest of the software, in this case, Win2k,
> > and the programs that run on it?
>
> That was what I was trying to convey but you have said it much better.
> It was Erik that brought up regression testing as a reason why Microsoft
> are so slow to get patches out. I had just pointed out that many of
> their patches for security bugs either do not correct the bug properly
> or introduce new security bugs. Now a back door has been discovoured
> in IIS. Their total lack of credibility in regard to security just
> continues to drop to lower and lower depths.
>
> --
> Over 100 security bugs in Microsoft SW last year. An infamous
> record. The worst offending piece of SW, by far, IIS. 2001 isn't
> looking any better.

I can't even get a download critical update for my other winblows
machine!
It tries and then the mickesoft server dies on me... been doing that for
two weeks now.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 02:00:10 -0700

Roy Culley wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > On Sun, 13 May 2001 11:29:06 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
> > wrote:

> >>Then why are so many security bugs reported in bugtraq due to Microsoft
> >>patches?
> >
> > You mean, like this?
> >
> > <http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,42798,00.html>
> >
> > In 1998, Cuartango discovered the infamous "Cuartango Hole," a
> > security flaw that allowed wicked website owners to steal files off a
> > user's hard disk.
> >
> > That discovery was quickly followed by the "Son of the Cuartango
> > Hole," a new exploit that was created by Microsoft's patch for the
> > Cuartango hole.
> >
> > "Son" was followed by "The Grandson of the Cuartango Hole," which was
> > –- yes, you guessed it -- caused by a second fix that Microsoft issued
> > to plug the original Cuartango hole.
>
> This is exactly what I was referring to. bugtraq is an excellent
> resource for sys admins but for Windows admins it is a full time job
> just keeping up to date. Then there are the fixes that simply don't
> work or make matters worse. Why Erik always tries to defend Microsoft
> when their record is so abysmal beats me.
>
> --
> Over 100 security bugs in Microsoft SW last year. An infamous
> record. The worst offending piece of SW, by far, IIS. 2001 isn't
> looking any better.

Eric is a Troll!  He does not embrace Linux.  He does not advocate
linux.
All too obvious.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To Erik: What is Wordperfect missing?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 11:00:24 +0100

> Applications under Linux have a *long* ways to go before they even begin
> to compare to Office 97, much less Office XP which is out right now.

No way. Office 97 was a POS, and I can't stand it (I had to use it
recently). I was so glad when I could go back to LaTeX and other tools.

-Ed