Linux-Advocacy Digest #335, Volume #31            Mon, 8 Jan 01 11:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: Why Hatred? ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Why Hatred? ("Tom Wilson")
  mail server with virtual ip? ("ID")
  Re: KDE Hell (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does) ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: You and Microsoft...  ("tony roth")
  Duh! ->was: Linux is crude and inconsistant. ("MH")
  Re: KDE Hell (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: KDE Hell (G.P. Hwang)
  Re: Operating Systems? Where would you go next? (John Brock)
  Re: Linux is not UNIX(tm) (Mart van deWege)
  Re: Linux, it is great. (G.P. Hwang)
  Re: Uptimes ("tony roth")
  Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: RPM Hell ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: RPM Hell ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: .NET and Microsoft Anti-Piracy (was: Re: The 2.4.0 kernel was released at 4pm
pst.) (Mart van deWege)
  Re: Why Hatred? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Linux, it is great. (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Would Linux be invented if? ("Donal K. Fellows")
  Re: KDE Hell ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: You and Microsoft...  (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Linux *has* the EDGE! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: kernel problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Duh! ->was: Linux is crude and inconsistant. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How the f*ck do I install .xpi plugins ? (Craig Kelley)
  Re: How the f*ck do I install .xpi plugins ? (Craig Kelley)
  Re: kernel problems (Craig Kelley)

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 14:32:05 GMT

> Tom Wilson wrote:
> >
> > "Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:bXN56.16755$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Oops! Misread the context. I can understand why you hate RPG-II and
COBOL.

> > > Delphi is Object Pascal. Ever tried Ada, Modula II or Oberon?
> >
> > Ada, yes and no. I was part of a pilot program at my University to teach
it.
> > It still wasn't completely standardized at the time. It looked to have
> > potential but it was awfully weighty. I'm sure the final implementation
is
> > smaller and more cohesive.
> >
> > Modula II is Pascal for anal-retentives <g>. A great language for
teaching
> > modular programming and data strutures. A bit too pedantic to do any
real
> > work with.
>
> I thought Pascal was anal-retentive for practical use.
>
> YOu mean Modula is even WORSE?

MODULE HELLOWORLD;
FROM InOut IMPORT WriteLn,WriteString,WriteInt;
VAR
    SomeInt:INTEGER;
BEGIN
    SomeInt:=5;
    WriteLn;
    WriteString("Hello World");
    WriteLn;
    WriteString("Each scalar type such as this int,");
    WriteInt(SomeInt,1);
    WriteString(", has its' own damned output function!");
    WriteLn;
    WriteString("Is this strong typing not anal-retentive???");
    WriteLn;
    WriteString("Also take note that each of these damned functions ");
    WriteString("needed to be specifically imported by name...");
    WriteLn;
    WriteString("There are hundreds of functions among scores");
    WriteString(" of different libraries...");
    WriteLn;
    WriteString("You spend more time looking them up than you");
    WriteString(" do programming...");
    WriteLn;
END HELLOWORLD.

Does this answer your question?

PS: Modula programmers, be kind. I'm sure there are some errors there... I
haven't even looked at a Modula II compiler in nearly 15 years.

--
Tom Wilson
Sunbelt Software Solutions

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 14:36:07 GMT

"Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Tom Wilson wrote:
>
> > Modula II is Pascal for anal-retentives <g>. A great language for
teaching
> > modular programming and data strutures. A bit too pedantic to do any
real
> > work with.
>
> Hmmm...  and what about Modula-3?  Is this worth learning, or not?  I
> could install the M-3 development package on my machine, but I think I
> have enough work cut out for me trying to learn and/or perfect my
> knowledge of C, C++, Java, and Perl.  It sounds like the above-mentioned
> languages are a lot more common than Modula-3.  But, I've seen people
> mention that Modula-3 was a "great systems programming language".  Gee,
> and I here I thought C and C++ did this pretty well. 8-)

I'm totally clueless as to what Modula-3 is like. (This is the first
reference to it i've ever heard of it in fact)

I haven't touched Modula-II in at least 15 years. If Modula-3 is anything
like II, I'd just as soon do systems programming in machine code. It'd be a
lot less frustrating! <g>

From: "ID" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mail server with virtual ip?
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 02:07:11 +0800

hello all,

i have a rh7 linux box with - name server, web servers, and mail server on
it.
but i wat to move the mail server to a seperate machine (it'll be sure a
linux box too).
but have a small problem., i don't have an extra real ip anymore..(used-up
all)

since the the both machine (name server and mail server) will be part of
same network(LAN) is it possible to use virtual ip for mail server?  if so,
how?

i appreciate any help.
ID.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 14:30:47 GMT

> Said Tom Wilson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 06 Jan 2001 21:07:36
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> >> So how do you explain why the Mandrake Update CDROM turned a
> >> functioning system into a veggie? It was mainly a kde upgrade.
> >
> >Life's way of telling you to take up knitting?
>
> KDE, KDE, KDE.  Its all I hear about any more.  Why do I hear so much
> about KDE?

Well, KDE is very popular, used by millions. That should account
for most of it.

--
Roberto Alsina

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does)
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 14:44:08 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93blus$aj4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Sadly, it´s not the users who produce free software.
>
> Nor is free software produced for users.

The best has been produced for the author's own use and thus does exactly
what is needed.   In most cases this turns out to be vastly better than
something produced according to what users think they want or what
an uninvolved author thinks might be useful.

From: "tony roth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You and Microsoft...
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 06:38:48 -0800

once again charlie proves that he's an idiot

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> You will never be able to install Microsoft Windows on a new
> computer without having to go thru 3 reboots.
w2k 2 reboots

> You will never be able to buy a copy of Microsoft Windows
> with a manual over 100 pages in length.
who cares

> You will never be able to develope a net applicance using
> Microsoft Windows.
hmm lots of people are doing this

> You will never see a Microsoft Windows Compiler installed
> in your Windows product by default.
ok maybe on this

> You will never see a Microsoft Windows Web Server installed
> in your Windows product by default.
hmm not sure what you mean by this

> You will never be able to install Microsoft Windows via the
> internet.
sure can

> If you run Microsoft Windows you will be using a closed source
> system and this means you will always have security problems.
ok

> You will never find a version of Microsoft Windows which addressed
> all broken code.
same can be said of linux

> You will never find a version of Microsoft Windows which can
> achieve an uptime of over a week.
glad to see your still full of shit

> You will always be pissed running Microsoft Windows.

don't care what os I run as long as I can do my job efficiently!

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Duh! ->was: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:50:49 -0500

Linux is crude and inconsistent.

OK, now that you've stated the obvious...
What's your point?

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 14:36:55 GMT

In article <3a59915f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > KDE, KDE, KDE.  Its all I hear about any more.  Why do I hear so much
> > about KDE?
>
> I prefer WindowMaker, myself.  It seems like KDE has everything in
> it but the kitchen sink, and it IS a pretty nice desktop
> environment.  Yet, it lacks the simple features I use most, such as
> the ability to switch virtual desktops with the keyboard.

Ctrl+Tab

> Last time I used KDE, you had to click on the panel at the bottom to
> switch desktops.

Unless last time you used KDE was on version 0.3, you are wrong.

> Also, I miss the dock-apps a lot too.  WindowMaker has both of these.

There is an applet to embed dockapps in kicker. It's called KDcock, and you
can find more info at http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de/~bigboss/kdock/

--
Roberto Alsina

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: G.P. Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 14:41:43 GMT

In article <3a59915f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > KDE, KDE, KDE.  Its all I hear about any more.  Why do I hear so much
> > about KDE?
>
> I prefer WindowMaker, myself.  It seems like KDE has everything in it but
> the kitchen sink, and it IS a pretty nice desktop environment.  Yet, it
> lacks the simple features I use most, such as the ability to switch virtual
> desktops with the keyboard.  Last time I used KDE, you had to click on the
> panel at the bottom to switch desktops.  Also, I miss the dock-apps a lot
> too.  WindowMaker has both of these.

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Yeah,I love WindowMaker too. But I think it can be more simple. ;-)
And some functions I hope it will have later such as having the
ability to change the width of the menubar.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Brock)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: Operating Systems? Where would you go next?
Date: 8 Jan 2001 09:52:52 -0500

In article <3a591ac4$19$fuzhry$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In <93anlp$dik$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 01/07/2001
>   at 04:39 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Brock) said:
>
>>Eh???  I sometimes use Kedit under OS/2, and it appears to me to be a
>>rather good Xedit clone.  Are we thinking about the same product?  Or
>>has Xedit advanced significantly since I last used it (maybe 8 years
>>ago), leaving Kedit in the dust?

>No, KEDIT was missing key XEDIT functionality from day one. I never
>could convince Mansfiled to add the missing pieces, so I will probably
>wind up with THE one of these days.

What functionality is that?  I don't use Kedit that heavily, so I
just may not have noticed.
--
John Brock

Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 15:56:54 +0000
From: Mart van deWege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is not UNIX(tm)

Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> Alan Parker wrote:
>

>> yeah, it's only a fucki'n clone based on Minix, another UNIX(tm) clone.
>

> I don't have any idea what that rant was in aid of, but FYI Linux isn't based
> on Minix.
>
> Bobby Bryant
> Austin, Texas

Bob,

FYI, I haven't got the link handy, but it should be on the web
somewhere. Building a fully functional UNIX clone out of Minix
was *exactly* what Linus set out to do.
You could try to search the archives for comp.os.minix, which is
where it started, I came across quotes on the Net a few months
ago but I don't know where, sorry. OTOH, I did come across the
same quotes in chapter 6 'Outsider' in the book 'Free for all' by
Peter Wayner.
In conclusion: you do seem to be barking up the wrong tree here,
unless I missed something. As I just aquired a computer 6 months
ago my experience with Linux is still somewhat formative, so if I
jump the gun here I apologize.

Mart

------------------------------

From: G.P. Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux, it is great.
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 15:01:34 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It is funny, several years ago I had to do some research about what the
> right OS should be for an embedded system. I had originally concluded

How about your embedded system researching now?
Do you think the x86 series plus Linux is a good choice?
And what's more, what the size of Linux at most can be reduce to?

> that it should be FreeBSD, but abandoned that for Linux in favor of
> third party support.
>
> Today, if one looks at Linux, it is simply amazing at what is available
> for no cost.
>
> PostgreSQL, a full relational, enterprise ready SQL database.
> Star Office, a full featured office packages.
> Full TCP/IP networking support.
> Apache, a world class web server.
> PHP, a world class web scripting language.
> KDE2, a very good desktop environment.
> GCC, a world class C/C++ compiler.
> Countless languages and utilities.
> CD ROM creation utilities.
> MP3 generation.
>
> Too many programs to mention. All free. Sweet!
>
> Windows may have more games, and support a few pieces of hardware that
> Linux does not, but Linux does almost everything, is free, and is more
> stable.
>
> --
> http://www.mohawksoft.com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "tony roth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 07:06:32 -0800

Peter,
    Our average server here contains over a terrabyte of info, the average
file size is 1+gigs thats right gigs not megs and in three years not one
server has bsod nor gone to 100% utilization without due cause.  We have
over 2k+ workstations and once again no bsods and no 100% utilization
problems.
Whats the difference between your site and mine, hmm let me see ... You!

news:935l0c$2sd$02$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 15:10:27 GMT

On 8 Jan 2001 05:23:56 +1100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
>>On 7 Jan 2001 06:12:22 +1100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

>>>I have an IBM PS/2 Model 85, with 128M of memory, a couple of SCSI disks,
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>>an ethernet card, and an SVGA card. Disk and graphics card are original
>>>IBM, ethernet is a 3COM, IIRC.
>
>>Say no more.
>
>So it's normal that Win98 won't properly reboot on original IBM hardware?
>Did I mention that Linux doesn't seem to have this problem on the very
>same machine?

No.

I am saying that you have a dinosaur of a machine that is rife with
non-standard hardware, that was even non-standard when it was built.

Run Linux on it and be happy.

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RPM Hell
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 15:16:28 GMT

On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 03:47:00 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 06 Jan 2001
>   [...]
>>Bullshit. The Penguinista's [...]
>
>You obviously don't have anything intelligent to say.

So sorry to see you unable to face the truth and rebut a simple point
instead of scrawling all of that endless rhetoric all over the place.

BTW why ARE your posts 100+ lines of babble?

Do you ever actually SAY anything?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 15:20:18 GMT

On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 03:49:58 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

To Whomever said this:

> [...]

Hint:Tell Mandrake to get their act together and send out a CD that
doesn't destroy a working system.

Stop blaming the messenger and focus on the real problem, and that
problem is Linsux.

Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 16:17:14 +0000
From: Mart van deWege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: .NET and Microsoft Anti-Piracy (was: Re: The 2.4.0 kernel was released at
4pm pst.)

Adam Warner wrote:

<snip>
> I am relucant to even call this anti-pirary because the measures would be
> designed to stop you installing the OS on a different (updated? upgraded?)
> computer even if you removed the software from the prior computer.
>
> Regards,
> Adam

It gets worse and worse: have you ever read the OEM EULA? It
state unequivocally that the Licence is only valid for the
Hardware it is sold with. Technically I am already a pirate for
having sold my HD to a friend and installing Win98 on my new HD
(and am I glad that I kept that partition, since my ISP uses some
proprietary pppoe driver for my cable modem that breaks the RFC)

Mart

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:24:10 +0000

Tom Wilson wrote:

> MODULE HELLOWORLD;
> FROM InOut IMPORT WriteLn,WriteString,WriteInt;
> VAR
>     SomeInt:INTEGER;
> BEGIN
>     SomeInt:=5;
>     WriteLn;
>     WriteString("Hello World");
>     WriteLn;
>     WriteString("Each scalar type such as this int,");
>     WriteInt(SomeInt,1);
>     WriteString(", has its' own damned output function!");
>     WriteLn;
>     WriteString("Is this strong typing not anal-retentive???");
>     WriteLn;
>     WriteString("Also take note that each of these damned functions ");
>     WriteString("needed to be specifically imported by name...");
>     WriteLn;
>     WriteString("There are hundreds of functions among scores");
>     WriteString(" of different libraries...");
>     WriteLn;
>     WriteString("You spend more time looking them up than you");
>     WriteString(" do programming...");
>     WriteLn;
> END HELLOWORLD.
>
> Does this answer your question?
>
> PS: Modula programmers, be kind. I'm sure there are some errors there... I
> haven't even looked at a Modula II compiler in nearly 15 years.

Sacrilege! It's a single quote, not a double quote!

WriteString('oh my goodness!');

At least Modula-II has zero terminated strings, unlike Pascal.

Object Pascal has strings that are length counted, up to 2GBytes.

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:27:23 +0000

matt newell wrote:

> KDE 2 is a very good desktop, but there are a few bugs.  I use update KDE
> from
> CVS every day, and since the release of 2.0, it has gotton rock solid.
> When
> 2.1 comes out get it and you won't be dissappointed.  2.1 also comes with
> some more features as well as many improvements to Konqueror.

Downloading stuff at home is pretty impractical across a 56K modem. That's
gonna change in Feb 2001 when I get my cable modem installed. 8*)

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would Linux be invented if?
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 15:21:42 +0000

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> Ah yes...the VW Beetle...revived because so many hippy-dippy baby boomers
> (who profess to hate anything Nazi) were sooooo fond of the original Nazi-mobile.
>
> (Not only do they like the Nazi-mobile, they are also fond of Nazi-style
>  restrictions on speech, religion, and gun-ownership....go figure).

This thread has now been Godwinned.  YHL.  Move along now.

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- This may scare your cat into premature baldness, but Sun are not the only

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 15:30:15 GMT

On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 03:35:45 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>KDE, KDE, KDE.  Its all I hear about any more.  Why do I hear so much
>about KDE?

1. It is the default Window manager for some distributions.
2. It is bloated, dis-organized, slow and full of bugs.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:34:15 +0000

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> > You will never be able to install Microsoft Windows via the
> > internet.
>
> You can already.

Really? How do you do that? If your PC gas nothing on it, how do you get it
across the internet? What "something" do you need in order for that to work?

> > You will never find a version of Microsoft Windows which can
> > achieve an uptime of over a week.
>
> Now this is a flat out lie.  Hell, Windows 98 can stay up for weeks at a
> time.

That's what I keep telling 'em.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux *has* the EDGE!
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 15:36:52 GMT

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 08:28:48 +0000, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Terry Porter wrote:
>
>>   I've finally finished upgrading my Linux box to Mandrake7.2!
>
>How long did that take you?

>>   Good one Mandrake, worth every penny, and once again showing Linux *has*
>>   the EDGE!
>
>What edge? I can't see anything on Linux running faster than on Windows.
>Response on X seems sluggish at times.

It has the edge compared to Win95A the last version of Windows that
Porter has run, by his own admission.

I find X to be very sluggish at times even with a Matrox G200 or G400
and 8 meg running 1024x768 and 32bpp.

I also don't see anything running faster than the equivalent
application does on Windows 2k on the same machine.
Just bringing up any one of the file managers for example.

Starting StarOffice? Go get a cup of coffee.
MusicMatch Jukebox?  Same thing. Sugar and milk please.
I use Wordperfect Office 2k under Win2k and it is up and running in 3
seconds. StarOffice is still churning away 15 seconds later.

>Applications are the usual hotch potch of half-beta-test and broken bits
>and pieces (for those of you out there about to lynch me forf saying this -
>this is HYPERBOLE. Apparently some of you can't recognise it).

They call this "streamlined" or "not bloated" but what it amounts to
is featureless and crude.

>The basics are there but there's more work to be done to be "the Edge"
>compared to the desktop on Windows.

It's like the edge on a razor blade after you have chopped concrete
with it for an hour. Linux that is...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: kernel problems
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 15:37:06 GMT

On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 02:53:25 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I need some help. I try compiling a kernel, completely stripped down with
>only the necessary stuff I need for my comp, and I always use modules when

Welcome to Linsux!!

You mean the simple make makedep make install didn't work properly?

Oh my gosh this can't be?

I mean Linsux is perfect is it not?

****Sarcasm on****************

It worked fine for me.
You must be an idiot.

*****Sarcasm Off*****

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Duh! ->was: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 15:38:14 GMT

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:50:49 -0500, "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Linux is crude and inconsistent.
>
>OK, now that you've stated the obvious...
>What's your point?

Just reminding the Penguinista's because they tend to be a forgetful
lot.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How the f*ck do I install .xpi plugins ?
Date: 08 Jan 2001 08:38:53 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) writes:

> On 07 Jan 2001 16:36:30 -0700, Craig Kelley wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yatima) writes:
> >There is a link on mozilla.org that will install the latest Java for
> >you.
>
> Too bad it doesn't work. BTW, it took me a while to work out how to install
> the xpi if you download it. (apparently, the easiest way is just open it
> with your browser.)

Strange, I just clicked on the links and it installed automagically.
It must be a bug in the version that you are using (either that, or
the user you're running Mozilla as isn't the same as the one that owns
the Mozilla directory on your filesystem).

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 08 Jan 2001 08:39:38 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yatima) writes:

> On 07 Jan 2001 16:36:30 -0700, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> I hear ya. Mozilla is a PITA to get going. I'm still SOL when it comes
> >> to secure browsing (yes I went to te iplanet site and tried to get the
> >> PSM module but got a emtpy popup window instead).
> >
> >I've been running PSM for quite some time now.  Currently, I'm running
> >the nightly download from jan 3rd, 2001 -- works great.
>
> Do the nightly builds come with PSM or do you need to download it from
> iplanet? I can't get the download to work either as a regular user or as
> root.

You need to download it (really, just click on the button) -- it
installs and everything all by itself.  You do need to re-start
Mozilla in order to use it, though.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 08 Jan 2001 08:50:14 -0700

#1 Fri Jan 5 12:36:44 MST 2001 i686 unknown
[ink@desconocido ink]$ ls -l /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       827197 Jan  5 12:46 /usr/src/linux/...

Only 827k.

Are you sure you're looking at the correct image?

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]