From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Subject: Re: Shared library hell
Date: 8 May 2001 20:33:28 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Perry Pip wrote:
>
>> But with Linux, you can completely avoid these problems by first
>> configuring your symbolic links correctly and then as needed using the
>> features described above. Learn how to do both.
>
>libqt.so.2 -> libqt.so.2.3.0
>
>One app needs libqt.so.2.3.0, one needs libqt.so.2.3.4. Both use libqt.so.2
>
>How do you solve that one, if libqt.so.2.3.4 and libqt.so.2.3.0 are built
>with different versions of gcc?
>
>The answer is easy - provided you have the sources. It's not so pleasant if
>you don't.

If you don't have the sources, you need to wrap one of the apps in
a small script that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a specific way to work
around that problem.

It will not use optimally your memory, but it is possible to have
even many versions of the exact same version of a library installed,
and tell which app uses which copy.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux has one chance left.........
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 20:36:35 GMT

Terry Porter wrote:

>> When I chose recently to make the sources for my 3D scene editor "open
>> source" (see http://mse.sourceforge.net/),
>
> Nice looking app.

If only it was finished... sigh...

(which one - the Linux or the Windows one?)

>> Previously, there have been around 5000 downloads of my scene editor. 10
>> people contacted me, some offering to pay money for it. It's an
>> interesting project (to me anyway) but it's not commercial. So why not
>> open source?
>
> And you released it under the GPL.
>
> Three cheers for Pete Goodwin!

<the roar of applause>

Thank you! Thank you!

<the sound of a custard pie splatting>

OOOOOOoooooo! Custard cream! Luvit luvit!

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Subject: Re: Windos is *unfriendly*
Date: 8 May 2001 20:35:39 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Terry Porter wrote:
>
>> Its further influenced byt the fine control over all aspects
>> of networking that Linux gives me, unlike Windows where if
>> the GUI doesnt have the fine control, I'm stuck.
>
>... what else do you need?

How do I set a per-host route on windows? (consumer version ;-)
Mind you, I *can* configure that from a GUI on Linux, but I just
can't find it in this windows control panel thingie.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 20:38:07 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> That's all well and good, and commendable as well, but will the answer
> still be the same when others are cashing in on their work?

In my case, according to GPL, you can't do that with my code. So... how can
anyone 'cash in'?

Unless of course, someone simply ignores the GPL.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: "Mad.Scientist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: If Windows is supposed to be so "thoroughly" tested...
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 20:11:20 -0500
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy

I just wonder why they spend billions on their products, but cannot stop a
stack from overflowing (a source of many "Illegal Operations").

"jtnews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> If Windows is supposed to be so "thoroughly" tested,
> then why do problems like this still exist
> in Windows?
>
> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5815298.html?tag=lh
>
> From CNET:
>
>      Flaw found in common Internet standard
>      By Robert Lemos
>      Special to CNET News.com
>      May 3, 2001, 2:30 p.m. PT
>
>      The Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) warned companies this
week of security problems
>      caused by a fundamental flaw in the way PCs and servers talk to each
other across the Internet.
> ..
> ..
> ..
>
> According to the analysis completed by BindView, operating systems such as
the Linux 2.2 kernel and the
>      most recent version of OpenBSD create strong ISNs, while operating
systems such as Windows 95,
>      Windows 98, older versions of Windows NT, AIX and HPUX have
relatively weak procedures for generating
>      ISNs.
>
>      The latter operating systems could be exploited by an attack using
the new vulnerability.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 20:40:13 GMT

T. Max Devlin wrote:

>>Last I heard, the current court case was in favour of Microsoft.
>
> No, they currently stand convicted on three counts.  The pundit's
> perception of the oral arguments have no real meaning in legal terms.

So what happened in the appeal court? I'm losing track here, it's gone very
quiet over here (across the pond).

The EU is currently looking at picking up the reins of impaling Microsoft
if it all dies a death in the USA.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Linux and MP3s
Date: 8 May 2001 20:40:10 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "." wrote:
>>
>> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Worked for my Linux-illiterate friend on his first install.
>>
>> You dont even actually know what a 'distribution' is, do you.

> I own several, you fool.

You dont OWN any of them, you damnable moron.  You own the MEDIA.

Idiot.

Fool.

Asshole.

Liar.

Poser.

=====.

--
"George Dubya Bush---the best presidency money can buy"

---obviously some Godless commie heathen faggot bastard

------------------------------

From: Greg Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 20:41:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Said Greg Cox in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 06 May 2001 21:05:12
>    [...]
> >Max, I've already corrected you on this in another thread.  I have a
> >Word for Windows 1.0 manual and it says it requires Windows 2.03 to run.
> >It DID NOT ship with Windows 3.0.  Got it?
>
> Greg, I've already explained why this "correction" has essentially zero
> cogency.  Word for Windows 1.0 did not "ship with" Windows 3.0, it was
> simply not released until Windows 3.0 was, regardless of whether MS was
> hoping to release it prior to that.  Get it?

> >> I can't honestly believe you're that stupid, and I know you'll admit to
> >> being a troll, so I think you're just lying.  Not even you think this
> >> 'evidence' says any 'otherwise'.
> >
> >How much more evidence do you need?
>
> Well, I'm still waiting for *any* evidence.  I never claimed that MS
> started developing it until after Win3, so the mistake in the beta and
> the announcement of support for vaporware are hardly very shocking,
> unless you've literally never had any knowledge of Microsoft throughout
> its history.
>
> I'm mean, *really*; a freaking ANECDOTE would be more convincing, "Yea,
> Max, I remember clearly using Word for Windows on Windows 2!"  You don't
> even have that much, though; just a couple of extremely trivial glitches
> in Microsoft's documentation.  Shocker.

How's this Max?  Microsoft Windows 3.0 shipped in 1990 and my copy of
the Word for Windows 1.0 manual is copyrighted in 1988.  That's two
years difference Max.  This is such a trivial issue but you seem unable
to admit to even the slightest error. Why is that?

If you want I can email you scans of the relevent pages...

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 16:43:46 -0400

Daniel Johnson wrote:

> "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Daniel Johnson wrote:
> > > Recall how much fun MS has had trying to kill
> > > DOS.
> > >
> > > I look forward to watching Apple, um, enjoy
> > > the same passtime. Don't you? :D
> >
> > One day, in the near future, Apple will simply cease to support OS 9. AS
> > they dont support serial ports, ADB, etc. As they moved to the PPC from
> > the 68K family. Apple has a history of being able to move forward, and
> > drag the rest of the industry with it.
>
> You may be right, but in all honesty Apple has had
> the *worst* trouble trying to deal with their software's
> backwards compatibility baggage.
>
> I hope they overcome it too, but history does not
> encourage me in this.

What worst trouble? Oh, you mean runing 68k stuff on PPC. Nope, cant be
that. What do you mean?

--
Rick

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 20:42:23 GMT

Terry Porter wrote:

> Why ?
>
> One is not a hypocrit for using Windows and advocating Linux imho.

But in the same breathe trashes Windows, yet they're using it to post?
Puh-lease!

--
Pete