From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Could only...
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:38:18 -0500

Jim Richardson wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 18:51:29 +0000,
>  JM, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  brought forth the following words...:

> >>Only an idiot worries about the weapon rather than the wielder.
> >>Remember, there are no dangerous weapons, there are only dangerous people.
> >
> >Such as the dangerous people who have easy access to guns.
> And drugs, and other illegal substances. Are you somehow under the impression
> that the violent criminal element suddenly becomes law abiding where a gun law
> is concerned?

Belief in violent criminals who obey gun laws is a fundamental tenet of the religion.

> --
> Jim Richardson
>         Anarchist, pagan and proud of it
> WWW.eskimo.com/~warlock
>         Linux, because life's too short for a buggy OS.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:40:44 -0500

ono wrote:

> > Clue for the fucking clueless.  Word Perfect was ported to SCO Unix over
> > a DECADE ago.  To port the SCO version to Linux is trivial.
> >
> Maybe they find those sources for you so you can compile them. (and finding
> some bugs while looking at .c, .h and makefiles).
> l.o.l.

Wordperfect is not open source, idiot.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux a non-starter at CES
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:42:21 -0500

Tim Hanson wrote:

> An interesting article by Kevin Reichard appeared in Linux Planet today,
> about how Linux appeared to be a no-show at CES this year:
>
> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/2875/1/
>
> I wrote the following response:
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Subject:CES
>    Date:Mon, 08 Jan 2001 13:55:32 -0800
>    From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>      To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> The real story would have been to interview some of those PR people from
> companies who have products utilizing Linux who didn't mention it.  I'll
> bet you would come up with not-very-plausible excuses and sudden
> generalities.  I'm not a reporter, so I don't have the contacts or the
> writing style, but I would be willing to bet that some of those
> exhibitors were instructed not to upstage Gates with his XBox by
> mentioning Linux.
>
> I think the freeze is on.  It probably has something to do with the
> sudden gas pains at Corel when mentioning their "Linux Strategy," at
> Transmeta for muzzling Linus' distaste for Windows, at Adobe for pulling
> Framemaker, at Inprise/Borland for suddenly deemphasizing Kylix, and
> many others.  This is Microsoft's classic behavior, to isolate and
> exterminate.
>
> It is a situation which cries out for some vocal advocacy.  Please don't
> let this go.

That's the WHOLE point of the movie ANTI-TRUST, which hits theaters
this month....

>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Does anyone else see a freeze on?
> --
> Yes, but every time I try to see things your way, I get a headache.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:47:35 -0500

craig nellist wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Still doesn't change the fact that it takes several hours of point-click
> > operations (to the point of painful fatigue) to do data manipulations
> > which can be accomplished with a few minutes of script-writing in Unix.
>
> Write a macro. Export the data to CSV format, and run your unix scripts on
> it. Use Access to manipulate it.

Precisely.  You can't get ANY work done until you get the data OFF
of the the LOSEDOS platform.

As it is..the data was generated ON Unix...but I had some stupid manager
who wanted the data in Excel format.

Just the mere cut-and-paste operations took several HOURS of literally
painful (to my arm and wrist) mouse operations

Doing the equivalent in Unix would have taken 5 minutes...

> Instead of whinging about how long it takes you to do something, why not
> investigate the tools available and find a quicker way?

I did use the tools available.  I manipulated the data as best as possible
on Unix...but the mere straight migration of the 5 tables to the LoseDOS
platform was more work than massive reformatting of the original data
(90 days worth of system performance data; 1 file/day).

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:48:29 -0500

craig nellist wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Unix admins have FAR more free time than LoseDOS admins.
>
> So they can spend hours and hours per day posting crap on Usenet?
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^

you misppelled "countering lies with truth"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:54:07 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:93c61j$om7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 7 Jan 2001
> 21:14:42 -0600;
> > >
> > >Because they had been caught, and there was, after all, no technical
> > >reason, nor any pro-competitive one, for them to leave it out in the
> > >first place.  So they waited a few months, and once their forced
> > >bundling practices had ensured that all OEMs had been shipping the new
> > >Office long enough to provide sufficient penetration to 'infect' the
> > >majority of the large-scale installed base, it didn't matter anymore.
> > >
> >     I have to disagree here.  They provided the filter to encourage 95
> >     users to give documents to 97 users which would be assured to be
> >     in 97 format when they came back.
>
> *sigh*  One more time.  This is not about 97 being able to read 95
> documents.  This is not about 97 being able to (or not) save in "official"
> 95 format.  This is simply about 95 being able to read 97 documents
> unchanged, which could be done by simply installing the 97 import filter

Which was NOT released until after the corporate market had been
arm-twisted into "upgrading" from 95 to 97 by installing the 97
virus on key corporate officers' desktop and laptop machines.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:54:28 -0500

Les Mikesell wrote:

> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3NP56.39$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:24L56.56134$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:1_q56.9004$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > the
> > > CD
> > >
> > > I don't remember that as being the case in the original release and I
> know
> > > the download either wasn't available or wasn't publicized until many
> > > months after it was needed because everyone I know was literally forced
> > > to upgrade from word95 for no reason other than to be able to read
> > > the attachments being sent by people who bought new PC's with
> > > Word97 pre-installed.    Even if the 97 CD did contain a filter, I don't
> > > see how that helps the people who have word95 and obviously don't
> > > have a copy of the 97 CD.
> >
> > I got my release of Office 97 throught the MSDN about a month before it
> was
> > available on the shelves.  It was on the CD, because I used it.  That CD
> was
> > exactly the same as the retail version which I got with a new PC at work
> > shortly after it was officially released.
> >
> > I also downloaded the file from MS's office site on 3 different machines 2
> > weeks before 97 was released, since I was using Office 97 document format
> on
> > one machine (My home machine) and needed to use it at work and didn't have
> > the Office 97 MSDN cd with me.
>
> Seems odd that you were the only one who knew where to find this....

Paid shills always do.

>         Les Mikesell
>          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:55:39 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:mSu66.56937$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:3NP56.39$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:24L56.56134$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> it
> on
> > > the

> > know
> forced
> don't
> > >
> > > I got my release of Office 97 throught the MSDN about a month before it
> > was
> > > available on the shelves.  It was on the CD, because I used it.  That CD
> > was
> > > exactly the same as the retail version which I got with a new PC at work
> > > shortly after it was officially released.
> > >
> > > I also downloaded the file from MS's office site on 3 different machines
> 2
> > > weeks before 97 was released, since I was using Office 97 document
> format
> > on
> > > one machine (My home machine) and needed to use it at work and didn't
> have
> > > the Office 97 MSDN cd with me.
> >
> > Seems odd that you were the only one who knew where to find this....
>
> All you had to do was look on the Office site.

Why should I have to do that, if the entire suite is on the CD.

Or are you saying that the entire suite is NOT on the CD...and that the
filter was put out seperately.

Now....Erik...why would that beeeee?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:57:09 -0500

"James A. Robertson" wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >

> > Monopolizing is illegal, as is attempting to monopolize, so obviously
> > there are no monopolies that are legal.  Coincidentally enough, there
> > are other terms for what is often, inaccurately, called a monopoly;
> > public utility and regulated market being the two most common.
> >

> Those are other terms used when the government decides to protect a
> monopoly by law.  It's also the only way monopolies exist for long
> periods of time in the market - naturally occurring monopolies are
> shortlived.

Only when the naturally occuring monopolizing company observes the law.

Microsoft has sustained it's monopoly status for a long time by
aggressively engaging in criminal conduct...habitually.

> > Thanks for your time.  Hope it helps.
> >
> > --
> > T. Max Devlin
> >   *** The best way to convince another is
> >           to state your case moderately and
> >              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***
> >
> > Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!
> > http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html
>
> --
> James A. Robertson
> Product Manager (Smalltalk), Cincom
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> <Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library>

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Advocacy?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 03:59:05 -0500

"Form@C" wrote:

> Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in <938jio$onn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >Form@C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> Come on, be real. Linux is a *server* OS. It is extremely good as a
> >> server OS. Let it *be* a server OS. It was never, ever, designed as a
> >> platform on which to run ordinary user applications (just ask Linus -
> >> it wasn't even
> >I don't think there are any `ordinary user applications'.  Everything
> >computers do (besides serving hackers' needs) is just applications and
> >it would not be proper to make distinctions based on such bogus criteria
> >as whether they run on something called `network servers', or fridge
> >servers, or typewriter servers.
> >

> Certainly within the home and small business sector "user applications" are
> installed and run on the desktop machines, although their data may be
> stored on a server. Some packages, particularly in the CAD field, cannot
> easily be run on a server in any case (the program segments may be stored
> on it though so that they are run *from* the server rather than *on* it)

That's strange....Every major car company in the world uses CAD
software running on Unix that works EXACTLY in the way that you
describe as "cannot be easily done."

If it's so difficult, then why does EVERY Unix CAD program have
this functionality?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.