Linux-Advocacy Digest #348, Volume #35           Sun, 17 Jun 01 23:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! (mike@-)
  Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed ("billwg")
  Re: New BSD Advocacy site! (Richard Thrippleton)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: New BSD Advocacy site! (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! (Terry
Porter)
  Suse 7.2 is out. (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (Rotten168)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (GreyCloud)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux   (Rotten168)
  Re: OT: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
(Tukla Ratte)
  Re: OT: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
(Tukla Ratte)
  Re: OT: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
(Tukla Ratte)
  Re: Windows makes good coasters (GreyCloud)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
(robert555@nowhere)
  Re: The usual Linux spiel... (was Re: Is Open Source for You?) ("JS \\ PL")
  Re: OT: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
("Chad Myers")
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust! (Terry
Porter)
  Re: OT: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
("Chad Myers")
  Re: New BSD Advocacy site! (Big Daddy)
  Re: Will MS get away with this one? (GreyCloud)
  Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell" ("Chad Myers")

From: mike@- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: 17 Jun 2001 17:33:47 -0700

says...

>Windows does not and will not *ever* equal 'car' or 'telephone'!

What a idiot.

The concept was that it is a tool, like a car and telephone.

Your brain must be too small to understand simple concepts.

------------------------------

From: "billwg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 01:23:43 GMT

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> >

> The question then is, how long will it take MS to get back to its high
> value?

The cause of the low prices is not as much due to MSFT itself as to the
losses of market cap in the NASDAQ in general.  Microsoft has fared pretty
well compared to ORCL, SUNW, AAPL and extremely well compared to the Linux
stocks RHAT, LNUX, CALD, and (sort of) CORL.  MSFT seems to recover leading
NASDAQ improvements overall, just as it did two years ago in its climb to
its heights.  OTOH, I don't think that the Linux stocks will ever come back.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Thrippleton)
Subject: Re: New BSD Advocacy site!
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 02:26:24 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Charlie Ebert wrote:

>http://www.linuxsucks.org/
>
>Interesting why they didn't take BSD-FANS or
>BSD-ROCKS or something like that.
        What a beautiful bit of BSD adovcacy arrived in the first article I
saw.
"Linux is for losers" ....arriving at the eventual conclusion that Win98 is
a great OS! If you want BSD users (or anyone) over the age of 12, best to
try a mailing list. Are you sure it's a pro-BSD site?

Richard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 01:30:10 GMT

We are musicians, and you are arguing that we're wasting our time
because 'the masses' are happy simply listening to the radio.

<snip>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 01:37:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Thrippleton wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Charlie Ebert wrote:
>>
>>http://www.linuxsucks.org/
>>
>>Interesting why they didn't take BSD-FANS or
>>BSD-ROCKS or something like that.
>       What a beautiful bit of BSD adovcacy arrived in the first article I
>saw.
>"Linux is for losers" ....arriving at the eventual conclusion that Win98 is
>a great OS! If you want BSD users (or anyone) over the age of 12, best to
>try a mailing list. Are you sure it's a pro-BSD site?
>
>Richard

You DID read thru the site didn't you?

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 18 Jun 2001 01:37:50 GMT

On 17 Jun 2001 17:33:47 -0700, mike@- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> says...
>

>>Windows does not and will not *ever* equal 'car' or 'telephone'!
>
> What a idiot.

Only an idiot equates cars or telephones to computers.

> The concept was that it is a tool, like a car and telephone.

Your concept is wrong.

> Your brain must be too small to understand simple concepts.

You have a nice little view of the world, but the world is
bigger than the tiny boxes you've made for it.

--
Kind Regards from Terry
My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Suse 7.2 is out.
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 02:11:43 GMT

That was the quickest release since 7.1 I've ever seen!

Anybody using Suse should be happy.

But then again, the slow method for GPL'd production of
code just can't match against the super macho power of
the IA-64 conquering Microsoft corporation!

Now can it?

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 02:19:12 GMT

"Dr S.J. Cornell" wrote:

> Incidentally, both France and Germany have GDPs that are less that 20%
> that of the US, but both send higher amounts in international
> aid than the US.  Not just per capita, but *total* amounts.

That may be true but the totals don't count what the US contributes in
terms of blood and manpower military-wise. If you counted those the US
would be comparable.

--
- Brent

"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
- Darth Vader

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:26:33 -0700

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Colin Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Chad Myers wrote:
> > >
> > > "Colin Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> have
> > > no

> > > Actually, root was like 400, and there were a few others that were <200MB
> > > which seemed retarded to me. Then, there was the /space partition which
> > > was the rest of the drive, which was ~4GB. In any event, Netscape saw
> > > fit to download the Oracle817 server ZIP file to one of the smaller
> partitions
> > > on which there wasn't enough space to hold the file. Thanks Netscape!
> >
> > Odd, Netscape always gives me the opportunity to choose the download
> > directory. True it starts with some default (usually the user's home
> > directory), but one can override that.
>
> It did. I chose /space/download/Oracle817, but apparently it attempted
> to download it to a temp dir first, or perhaps it filled it's cache.
> In any event, I couldn't find out where it put it and it maxed my
> root partition and nothing seemed to work after that.

Your not supposed to download into root partition.  If you have, you
were on the internet logged in as root!
Use a user login account and the downloads will go to the current
working directory.

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 02:32:56 GMT

Tuomo Takkula wrote:

> "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > "Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Why? It's just where you born. It's not like you achieved anything. Your
> > > parents fucked, and out you popped. It could have been anywhere. So just
> > > keep that image in mind, next time you feel patriotic, just visualise your
> > > father hunched over your mother. Which is all it comes down to, really.
> >
> > Well, I'm proud to be American.
> >
> > Strongest nation on earth.  Others will surely balk at me, but who cares.
> >
> > We have the strongest economy, the strongest military, the best movies
> > (hehe), we invented the light bulb, transistor, microprocessor, we started
> > the Internet, and a whole bunch more.
> >
> > You can say what you want, but America rockz.  That isn't to say that other
> > nations don't rock also, but for different reasons.
> >
> > There is good in every nation... hey... my best friend is Australian, and my
> > favorite beer is from Singapore.
> >
> > So just relax on this patriotic shit because there is good stuff everywhere
> > and bad stuff everywhere.
> >
> > W2k rockz and linux suxors.  Need I say more?  :)
> >

> Sorry, but from this side of the Atlantic, the USA resemble more a
> third world country in many respects, than the 'top of the world'...
>
>         Cheers
>         Tuomo

How so?

From: Tukla Ratte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: OT: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 21:31:23 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

< snip >

> I'm not sure there's evidence for the truth of either viewpoint,
> although there are indications long-term use will damage
> memory function.  But then, long-term use of alcohol may
> damage liver function -- so where's the consistency?
> Not here, that's for sure.

I would think the government would be encouraging narcotic use if it
affects your memory and/or cognitive abilities.  They seem pretty happy
when the populace is dim and docile.

But, hey, the drug war seems more based on religion than anything else, so
I guess it doesn't have to be logical.

--
Tukla, Eater of Theists, Squeaker of Chew Toys
Official Mascot of Alt.Atheism; BAAWA Knight; a.a. #1347

------------------------------

From: Tukla Ratte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 21:23:25 -0500

Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\) wrote:

< snip >

> Also, atleast the Danish actually exercise their democratic right by
> actually voting!  I would be disgusted at the number of people who turned
> out to vote in the US election.

I don't think the last election is going to help, either.  After all, the
basic problem seems to be the perception that "one vote doesn't matter".
Now we've seen how more than a *half-million* votes don't matter.  And even
where the race is tight, one vote *still* doesn't matter because nobody can
accurately count all of 'em.

Maybe I'll be surprised, though, and the next election will have a better
turnout.  I hope I am, or Bush will be in for a second term.  <shudder>

--
Tukla, Squeaker of Chew Toys

From: Tukla Ratte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 21:45:04 -0500

Nick Condon wrote:

< snip >

> People aged 18-21 are not minors, they are adults. Americans can marry,
> breed, abort their unborn children, pay taxes, appear in pornographic
> films, fight for their country and, the most important priveldge of all,
> they can vote at that age. But order a margarita with your enchiladas and
> you could end up in the slammer.

I don't know if this is common in the U.S., but where I live, those under
21 can't even *sell* liquor.  So, if you pick up a six-pack of Coors with
your groceries at the supermarket, and the cashier is underage, they have
to stop and find someone who's not underage to ring it up.  It is illegal
for the underage person to swipe the beer over the checkout's laser scanner.

Insanity.

< snip >

--
Tukla, Squeaker of Chew Toys

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:45:29 -0700

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> "Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
> >
> > "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > the
> > card,
> > >
> > > How did it work in the days before there were graphics cards?
> >
> > On the PC, there never were any days where there were
> > no graphics cards.  PCs were designed for people who
> > needed to "see" everything, whereas the geeks in the
> > white coats were knowledgable enough to understand
> > what the little blinking lights on mainframe systems
> > actually meant.
>
> I was actually thinking of pre-PC days, when even the sys admin
> had a terminal hooked into a serial port.
>
> Chris
>
> --
> "I'll take 'Deceased Rappers' for $200, Alex."

To clear it up for the others.... take a vax for example.
There was a serial line printer on what is called the system console
that reported to the operator what was going on and printed messages or
requests for operator services... such as mounting a magtape...
requesting paper be put into "MyPrinter"..etc.
Then there are the terminals connected to the vax via asynchronous
serial ports.  As the user you turned on your terminal and then pressed
the return key to login.  It was all serial communications in the older
days.

From: robert555@nowhere <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Jun 2001 18:54:51 -0700

says...

>On 17 Jun 2001 17:33:47 -0700, mike@- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Only an idiot equates cars or telephones to computers.

what a moron. He was saying they are both tools. Not equal.

you must have a small brain.

------------------------------

From: "JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The usual Linux spiel... (was Re: Is Open Source for You?)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:58:03 -0400

"Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, JS \\ PL wrote:
> >
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Said Ayende Rahien in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Fri, 15 Jun 2001
> >>    [...]
> >>
> >> So why is IA-64 support for Windows taking so much longer than IA-64
> >> support in Linux?
> >>
> >>    [unsnipped]

> >> Linux already did it.  Windows is months or years behind.  That sounds
> >> like news to me.  You think people considering whether to use Microsoft
> >> software over the next few years will think it is news?
> >
> >The only thing *months or years behind* seems to be YOU and your Win95
> >system.
> >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/news/64bit.asp
> >
> >Windows XP 64-Bit Edition and the Intel Itanium Processor, the Platform
for
> >Technical Workstation Users
> >
> >Windows XP 64-Bit Edition meets the demands of specialized, technical
> >workstation users who require large amounts of memory and floating point
> >performance. Get an overview of how it provides the speed technical
> >professionals need.
> >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/news/64bit.asp
> >

> So when does the vapourware become real

Sooner than you would like?

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ignorance...)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 02:43:42 GMT

"Tukla Ratte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Matthew Gardiner \(BOFH\) wrote:
>
> < snip >
>
> > Also, atleast the Danish actually exercise their democratic right by
> > actually voting!  I would be disgusted at the number of people who turned
> > out to vote in the US election.
>
> I don't think the last election is going to help, either.  After all, the
> basic problem seems to be the perception that "one vote doesn't matter".
> Now we've seen how more than a *half-million* votes don't matter.  And even
> where the race is tight, one vote *still* doesn't matter because nobody can
> accurately count all of 'em.

Especially when you have partisan (Democrat) counters throwing all sorts of
wrenches
into the works =)

> Maybe I'll be surprised, though, and the next election will have a better
> turnout.  I hope I am, or Bush will be in for a second term.  <shudder>

At least Gore's not in.

-c

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 18 Jun 2001 02:59:58 GMT

On 17 Jun 2001 18:54:51 -0700,
 robert555@nowhere <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> says...
>>
>>On 17 Jun 2001 17:33:47 -0700, mike@- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>>Only an idiot equates cars or telephones to computers.
>>

> what a moron. He was saying they are both tools. Not equal.
                ^^^ I think you mean *you* ?

Either way, you're trying to equate them,and your still wrong.

> you must have a small brain.

So says the Wintroll:-

Both are now plonked, you'll need some more fake identities Wintroll.

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ignorance...)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 02:45:52 GMT

"Tukla Ratte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
> < snip >
>
> > I'm not sure there's evidence for the truth of either viewpoint,
> > although there are indications long-term use will damage
> > memory function.  But then, long-term use of alcohol may
> > damage liver function -- so where's the consistency?
> > Not here, that's for sure.
>
> I would think the government would be encouraging narcotic use if it
> affects your memory and/or cognitive abilities.  They seem pretty happy
> when the populace is dim and docile.
>
> But, hey, the drug war seems more based on religion than anything else, so
> I guess it doesn't have to be logical.

I'd disagree with that. It has more to do with parents seeing their
kids turn into worthless slobs, crackwhores, and heroin fiends and not
knowing how to deal with it. Throwing guns and money at it is how they
solved everything else, why wouldn't it work on this, too?

We've taken a supply-side approach, and that doesn't seem to work. It
works moderately, but we're not gaining any ground.

The demand side seems a hopelessly lost cause as well, because there
is no shortage of stupid Americans willing to sacrifice everything
they have for a quick fix.

-c

------------------------------

From: Big Daddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 03:01:33 GMT

Hey, Hey, Hey! It's windows that sucks, and needs to be wiped from
existence. Linux and BSD should be allies!

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Will MS get away with this one?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:00:04 -0700

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 21:00:50 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > The NorthStart Horizon that I had was a true hard-sectored floppy
> > drive.  Examination of the hard-sectored floppy diskette shows there is
> > one-index hole and 10 sector holes near the hub ring.
> >
> > Apple was not hard-sectored.  It only had one index sector hole near the
> > hub-ring.
>
> Just like a 5.25" floppy disk today.
>
> But aren't we going back to the earliest Apples put together by Woz around
> 1978/79 for these hard sectored disks?

I bought one with a serial number below 500.  Then when UCSD pascal came
out I bought another one and its serial number was up around 25,000 and
I also had to install two proms on the diskette controller card.  Apple
II never did have hard sectored disks.

Woz was always into programming hardware and relying more on software to
get the most out of the least of hardware.  He built a unique phone
modem, but the some part of the U.S. Gov. put a stop to that because it
could be used to trick any phone system into making long distance calls
without paying any charges.

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux inheriting "DLL Hell"
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 02:49:24 GMT

"Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:4%bX6.336$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > >What hell is that object?
> > >
> > >--
> > >"I'll take 'Deceased Rappers' for $200, Alex."
> >
> > A "centralized development model" refers to a kernel.
>
> No, it refers to a system whereby code is
> reviewed, evaluated, tested, corrected, and
> then deemed either worthy or unworthy to be
> put into the official distribution.
>
> > Linux has a kernel sir!
>
> Very good!  Did you learn about that one on
> Teletubbies?

LOL. Is Linus the yellow one?

-c