From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Will politics kill the case or will justice prevail?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:58:36 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 8 Jan 2001 16:06:32 -0600
> <7Nq66.441$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:a3o66.161894$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> The Register: MS anti-trust appeal looms
> >>
> >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/15891.html
> >>
> >> This case appears to just run and run.
> >>
> >> Why is it taking so long for the US Courts to come to any conclusion in
> >> this case? I mean, Microsoft have been found guilty of being a monopoly,
> >> yet they're happily continuing as before. So far there's no teeth to this
> >> case.
> >
> >Appeals take time.  The Appeals court has to sift through mounds and mounds
> >of evidence before even the first words are uttered in argument.
>
> And by that time .NET will be firmly and nearly irrevocably entrenched
> in the corporate substructure, and Microsoft will win again, not
> unlike OLE versus OpenDoc, and COM versus CORBA.
>
> Sigh.  At least Java's still out there, roundly trouncing ActiveX. :-)
> Maybe it'll trounce .NET, too -- one can hope.
>
> (Side point: a monopoly is not necessarily a bad thing; it's the
> abuse of monopoly power that causes problems.  I don't remember
> whether the courts have determined Microsoft has, or not -- it's pretty
> clear that Microsoft's been a bit shady, though, in some of its,
> ahem, agreements -- if one can call an agreement something that is
> functionally more like a "do this or else" sort of thing.)

The courts have ruled...REPEATEDLY, that Microsoft is an ABUSIVE monopoly.
Hope that helps.

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       3d:06h:11m actually running Linux.
>                     Are you still here?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:56:24 GMT

You Linsux zealots are going to hammer this one till someone literally kills
themselves, aren't you.

Yea, some dork got a cameo in some movie that'll be on Video cassette before
you can say "The New York times said..."

Sort of like Linux.

news:93vdqp$pcd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Server Saga
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:00:08 -0500

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [...]
> and /dev/hdg). Promise don't supply a driver for MSDOS that gets access for
> a CDROM.
>
> Once Windows boots up, it starts with the C: in MSDOS compatability mode. I
> installed the Promise drivers and the drive went to 32 bit mode, and the
> CDRW appeared. Hmmm... Linux installed these without blinking.
>
> Writing a CD worked fine with Windows Millenium, no suprise there.
>
> The only snag with this setup is the lack of remote access to the PC. I
> have to access the desktop to do anything. Remote file access is possible,
> but I can reboot or run the CD burner remotely. I can live with that for
> now.
>
> Conclusions
> -----------
>
> Linux Mandrake is a very nice package for someone who doesn't want to get
> into the bowels of UNIX style configuration... but falls apart if you want
> to do something other than install everything. I don't really see the point
> in installing a GUI on a machine that'll be used as a file server. I'd
> rather log into it remotely, rather than locally - hence the interest in
> Linux. However, Linux Mandrake made it difficult to install consistantly,
> something I'd noticed before.
>
> Now, I can see the reactions of people already:
>
> (i) This is a typical Windows luser who couldn't find his ass in an ass
> kicking contest. He should stick to Windows.
>
> (ii) This guy is an idiot (a stronger version of this: "This guy is a
> shithead Wintroll").
>
> (iii) This guy has been so brainwashed by Microsoft that he can't do
> anything without a Wizard.
>
> (iv) This guy is making all this up. He's a marketing drone being paid by
> Microsoft to spread FUD about Linux, in an effort to prevent Microsoft from
> failing.
>
> (v) We don't care about any problems he's having. They're all fake anyway.
>
> (vi) This is a typical Windows moron who reinstalls when things don't work
> properly.
>
> What's my answer to any of these points?
>
> I'm none of the above. Of course, I don't expect some to agree with me.
> These are the Linux zealots, or bigots, who seem to take an agressive
> stance, disparaging anything good coming from Windows, and sure in the
> knowledge that anything Free Software is Good and is going to defeat the
> evil empire, Microsoft. To them I would say: good luck. With your attitude,
> Linux will remain where it is, and might even decline.
>
> Then there a few voices here who are prepared to listen to what I say, to
> hear me out, and they're the ones who seem able to appreciate what I have
> to say. They are very few, but they are here. These are the ones who will
> make Linux into the bigger and better system, and start to defeat Microsoft.
>
> Incidentally, I don't need to defeat Microsoft. I'm quite happy for them to
> exist. They would do well to stop the shennanigans they've been accused of,

Translation:

"I, Pete Goodwin, am a complete idiot."

> --
> Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:58:34 GMT

God forbid business should stop on one of my workstations for *GASP* 3 SOLID
MINUTES.

Or I could forgo the rebooting, and replace the OS with something that no
only doesn't need to be rebooted, but will make it unusable for as long as
the computer is powered.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux won't get far in Luxembourg's comapanies.
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:02:26 -0500

Bartek Kostrzewa wrote:

> I'm a fellow Linux user, so this is not something against Linux, rather
> against our tax system here in Luxembourg.
>
> Why does an economically nice solution like a stock-hardware, Linux based
> Server (in this case for Fileserver use) lose against a Win2k Server +
> Compaq hardware?
>
> My friend's father has a small company, he asked me to give him a proposal
> for a file server (serving 8 computers with 500MB/day/PC), so I built a
> server for 1500$ with SCSI, AMD Duron 750, 256 MB of RAM and a 100 Mbit NIC,
> of course, I told him I'd install Linux and set up SAMBA for file serving
> (the company is 100% M$ based). When he heard the price he said: "What?
> That's far too cheap! I need to spend at least 7500$ on it, so I can reduce
> my tax charges at the end of the year!" Now he bought a Win2k Server based
> Compaq Proline server powered by an 933Mhz PIII, 256MB of RDRAM and 60GB
> RAID-10  (4 30GB 10K rpm SCSI harddrives in RAID mode, stripped and imaged
> together).... and that for 8 computer low-profile file-sharing.
>
> Even with the maximum service option possible (RedHat) the Linux-based
> soultion wouldn't have cost enough...
>
> As you see, Luxembourg's taxing logic is pretty hard to understand, you have
> to invest tons of money into your businness, so the state can't take "extra"
> taxes at the end of the year...

The goal is NOT to reduce your taxes...the goal is to have as much
money as possible at the end of the year.

Spending 1,000 Francs to lower your taxes by 500 is just plain fucking stupid.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:59:43 GMT

What part of "I left engineering a LONG time ago" don't you understand?

The "I Left" part?

Or the rest?

> Kyle Jacobs wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > AutoCAD is 2nd-rate software, acceptable only by people who are
> > > satisfied with 2nd-rate platforms (M$) that it runs on.
> >
> > I wouldn't tell AutoDesk software this.  Last I checked they hold the
> > highest quality for professional CAD software on the market.  But I left
> > engineering a long time ago.
> >
> > > AutoCAD is a 2-Dimensional CAD system.  It's ok for designing cabinets
> > > and houses, but completely UN-suitable for designing anything with
moving
> > parts.
> > > Especially oddly shaped parts like crank shafts.
> >
> > Suitability is not the point of this post, it was the fact that
AutoDesk's

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:03:24 -0500

Bartek Kostrzewa wrote:

> [deltia]
> >
> > Why not just squander the extra money on frivolous hardware.
> >
> > You could have added a rather nice RAID array to that configuration
> > to bring the price up if that was really the problem.
>
> But what for?! They don't need that kind of machine! That's the whole point
> I wanted to make, you have to buy too much, so you don't have to put so much
> money into the state's pockets, and I find this tax system ridiculous, the
> more money you have to invest, the less taxes you pay... rich people get
> richer, and poor people have to pay (relatively) very high amounts in taxes.

Then vote new people into the legislature.

> > >As you see, Luxembourg's taxing logic is pretty hard to understand, you
> have
> > >to invest tons of money into your businness, so the state can't take
> "extra"
> > >taxes at the end of the year...
> >
> > So? Just spend it in hardware.
>
> just like I said... what the heck for?

You can't see the advantage of RAID?

> > --
> >
> >   Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.
> >
> >   That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
> >          / | \

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:00:50 GMT

> Kyle Jacobs wrote:
> >
> > Of course, I should point out that Microsoft's EULA agreement is totally
> > outside the bounds of the rights provided them by USC Title 18...
> >
> > Therefore, making the EULA unenforceable notwithstanding it's own
> > provisions.
> >
> > Hence, Microsoft has no control over what you do with their software, so
> > long as your actions are within the confines of the companies exclusive
> > rights toward the intellectual property that IS Microsoft Office.
>
> And yet, Microsoft's lawyers WROTE this stuff into the EULA.
>
> Why would a lawyer write illegal provisions into a contract unless
> it's for the purpose of intimidating those who have not read Title 18,
USC?

Say it with me.

"RETAINER"

That, and intimidation in itself is not illegal.

But mostly RETAINER.