From: "Ayende Rahien" <Don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 13:52:48 +0200

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9dn0kg$ehp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > No, that isn't cross linkning, that is a trick windows does where you
> > have a shortcut to a directory, it can open it's contents like a menu.
> > Don't recall *how* you do it, though, something to do with a *really*
> > obsene file name, IIRC.
>
> Could have been how it worked.

No, how it works is by putting a shortcut to C: on the start menu, and then
telling windows that you want to browse into this shortcut, I could dig out
the instructions on how to do this, if you want.

> I did once get a dos floppy with a circlar
> directory structure (under DOS 6.22), but then it had been in my pocket
> for a couple of weeks :-)
>
> Crosslinking can happen, but it's quite rare and not a good thing in
> general, but I suppose they could make it `official' and use it to
> introduce hard links.

There are enough hacks in FAT, I don't want to add *more* to it.

> >> If you put it low enough, it will work, but therte are problems (as you
> >> pointed out).
> >
> > The problem is that if you put it low enough, you break DOS. And
> > compatability with DOS was of top most importance. I don't think that
> > there is something of a middle group here, I'm afraid. And I'm not so
> > sure how you would implement such a scheme on FAT, anyway.
>
> Couldn't they put it just below the windows API, so that it worked with
> all windows apps, but since it's a regular file, dos apps open it like a
> file and behave slightly inconsistently, but don't break.

Below the Win32 API there is DOS, that is the problem.

> Mabey with XP, when true DOS finally dies, they'll be able to
> introduce them.

XP has hardlinks and reparse points, no need for this.

------------------------------

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT Movies
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 00:11:39 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, 11 May 2001 22:18:04 -0400, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I would love, just once, a movie show a real data center. Cluttered
> >wires, non-color coordinated boxes. Things impossible to find, not
> >because of security, but because of simple complexity.
> >
> >That would be cool.
>
> I would just like to see, once, a real computer in a movie.  Not those
> moronic
> throwback to the 50's hollywood imaginations.  Even if they show a real
> laptop, they have some silly need to have text displayed at 50 baud with
> beeping or card
> reader noises.  I laughed myself blue when I saw an anderson-jacobson (?)
> 110 baud modem in "war games" (I think) enhanced with strings of christmas
> lights.
>

> Oooo!  Flashing lights and beeping!  It must be thinking!

I like the way alien technology can be brought down with an apple-mac virus
(independence day).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Isaac)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 22:45:11 GMT

On Sun, 13 May 2001 17:47:58 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Said Isaac in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 12 May 2001 12:26:07 GMT;
>>He can sue the contributory infringer alone.  Still
>>there has to be at least a potential direct infringement involved
>>before there can be contributory infringement, so in the case of
>>RIPEM, if the end users are not an infringing, it would seem that
>>no case for contributory infringement could be made.
>
>In that language, RIPEM is actually the one who would be liable for
>contributory infringement; the end-user would be the 'unprosecuted
>direct infringer'.  It doesn't matter how you apply the teleology; the

Well the difficultly is that the GPL says that the license does not
apply to running the code, so there is no GPL license violation when
someone dynamically links to a GPL'd library in order to run a program.
Perhaps you can point me to the provision you claim is being
violated by the end-user.

Isaac

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:02:23 -0400

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9dgeto$5kv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > : "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > : news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > :>
> > :>
> > :> Jan Johanson wrote:
> > :>
> > :> > Is there really any doubt that W2K rox the house?
> > :>
> > :> Yes, because unix systems stay up longer.  Remember the "awesome" MTTF
> > :> that Windows 2000 exhibits?  LOL.
> >
> > : Yes, I do. And W2K stays up every bit as long as unix systems.I know you
> > : won't admit it or can't imagine it but that's your problem not ours.
> >

> > Linux and UNIX systems are capable of uptimes considerably longer than
> > the total time W2K has existed.
>
> Of course that is true, we all know that. And that will always continue to
> be possible because both linux and unix predate Unix - get it? However, what
> you fail to address is that now that W2K is here it runs as long as wants
> to. It is capable of the same uptimes as linux. Put a w2k system and linux
> system side by side and let them run. They'll both run as long as you let
> them. Simple.
>

> > You are making one of the most fundamental mistakes that can be made
> > in debate or any other kind of confrontation.  You are attacking an
> > enemy at the point where it is the strongest and you are the weakest.
> > That just isn't good strategy.
>
> No, your mistake is the typical one. Judging W2K by windows 95 standards.
> Wrong entirely. If you had actually seen a copy of W2K perhaps you'd begin
> to have a clue. While previous versions of Windows may not have had steller
> uptimes

Which is what we have been saying for 7 YEARS now...glad you finally
got a clue.

>        - W2K does.

1 month is not "stellar"

hope that helps

>                    No amount of denial you can foist upon yourself will
> change that simple fact.
>

> > If you must advocate Windows over Linux, my advice would be to get to
> > know both systems as well as you can.  You may find that your
> > allegiances change, but even if they do not, at least you'll be in a
> > position to advocate Windows in a more credible fashion.
>
> you might take your own advice - had you ever even run w2k before you'd know
> how dated and completely inaccurate your attacks on w2k uptimes are. Look,
> face it, W2K is stable and runs as long as any other OS. If you deny this
> then you are a fool and proving it. Consider, if I said Linux crashes as
> much as Windows 95 does we'd both laugh. We know it's untrue. However, you
> are saying to me the same thing. You are trying to propogate the FUD/lie
> that W2K is not capable of steller uptimes. Well, it is. Period. Get over
> it - I know it hurts to lose the ability to attack MS from that direction
> any more but you must learn to accept defeat and reality and move along...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:09:02 -0400

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:VNlL6.58$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Ayende Rahien" <Don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9dkoad$kk8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:ZPkL6.40$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> fact,

> opinions
> implement.
> > > You
> Nothing
> find
> > out...
> > >
> > > I wouldn't be very surpirsed to find out that GCC is better than VC6,
> VC6'
> > > compiler is, after all, over 4 years old.
> > > However, I would use VC just for the IDE. I wonder if you can hock GCC
> > > VC, the way Intel Compiler does.
> >
> > The senior guy at our hack shop was wondering the same thing and we may
> try
> > it at some point. A pet project I want to do is a Visual-Studio-like
> > front-end for X systems. IDE's are a pretty big weakness there. KDeveloper
> > is starting to head in that direction but still has a way to go. The big
> > things I want are auto completion, multiple language and compiler support,
> > and Wizard-Based project generation (but with a less obtuse interface than
> > IProject and IConfiguration). Someday, when I have the time......
>
> Wait for VS.NET, should have all of those, I'm waiting for my copy of the

Why would any sane person lock themselves into a .NOT pollution?

> beta, so far, the IDE looks very good.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:11:51 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> > You are going to put electricity bill into the equation? Strange, since I
> > didn't mention $$$.
> >
> > I was asking why you can be proud of something that it much more powerful,
> > but perform only a little better than a much inferior box.
> > I would say that there are certainly some efficency problems here.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> you commented a few posts back about Windows 2000's great
> price/performance ratio, and I actually included one of the costs
> factors, power.
>
> Matthew Gardiner

Matthew...learn to hit the return key before you add your own reply.
Otherwise, your first line looks like it was written by the person
to whom you are responding (as in the post above, where your
first line appears to have been written by Erik Funkybreath or
some other Losedroid

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: MS POLL!
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 23:13:04 GMT

In article <9dn1fl$j0i7p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nigel Feltham wrote:
>Charlie Ebert wrote:
>
>> I've decided to start another POLL!
>>
>> An important POLL!
>>
>> If you work in a shop which is practically 100% Microsoft
>> and your running IIS I want your input.
>>
>> How many times have you heard this from your systems administrator,
>> management, and other WINTROLLS -
>>
>> When I love you hit town and wiped out your network did you hear from
>> everybody, "DAMN KIDS".
>>
>> When the worm wiped out your IIS web servers did you hear "DAMN KIDS".
>>
>> Have you heard, the only reason we are having problem in this shop is
>> we are connected to the internet?  Especially if your an E-business
>> MS shop!
>>

>If you work in the department where the IIS server is then why not try to
>find a spare PC and intall Linux and apache on it then next time the IIS
>system goes down you can switch over to that linux machine and show that
>bonehead of a manager that your system works more reliably with far fewer
>security problems and see what he has to say about that.

They are all well aware of the inferior Linux web server and would
have nothing to do with it!

Installing Linux at our company without management approval is a termination
offense.

There is a core body of management which is clinging to Microsoft at
my company as if it were some kind of life saving medicine.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Siegal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 16:14:11 -0700

Stefaan A Eeckels wrote:
> > I would say that the most relevant real world situation where this would
> > arise would be a business using a modified (without authorization)
> > version of a program in their business. In that case, there might be
> > employees who know about it and could tell the copyright owner.
>
> I thought that adapting a legally obtained program to one's
> needs was specifically allowed by the law.

Only if *own* your copy.  In practice, software is almost always used in
a licensing arrangement under which you do not own your own copy.
(Arguably, this is not the case with shrink-wrap licensed software
purchased in an ordinary retail transaction, but it certainly does apply
to big-ticket software directly licensed to users, or even
shrink-wrapped software which is directly site-licensed.)

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <Don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 14:13:51 +0200

"Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9dmihu$5i6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Ayende Rahien wrote in message
<9dmgt0$n0l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> > > not

> > > Its more like forcing GM to not sell matching luggage sets and road
> > atlases
> > > with their cars.  Wheels and motor are essential parts of the car - no
one
> > > complains about an OS that comes with file systems, or network
support.

> > Rick does. He thinks that MS should be broken up because of this.
> > I wonder if he thinks that MS should be broken up for adding FS support
too.

> You are a liar.

You said that MS should be broken because they added networking support,
Rick.
Don't try to deny it, google keeps an archive.

> > > But
> > > people *would* complain if their were forced to buy a new set of
suitcases
> > > and road maps with their new car (especially if the car broke down
when
> > you
> > > tried to take them out!), even though they are essential for some uses
of
> > > the car (e.g., going on holiday).
> >
> > > A good browser is needed for only one of
> > > a myriad of uses for a computer - namely, web browsing.
> >
> > What are the most common tasks of a computer today?
> > To browse the web, isn't it?
> >

> Is it? Compare the number hours spent on WP, SS, DB, graphics
> production, video production , etc, etc, etc. Now, how does that compare
> to web browsing?

That should've been, "one of of the most common tasks", sorry.

> > For that matter, what about audio CD? Why should MS be allowed to bundle
cd
> > player, but not a DVD player? DVD are starting to become as common as
CDs
> > are.
> >

> Who said m$ shouldnt be allowed to bundle a DVD?

You think that they shouldn't allow to bundle networking, I would assume
that DVD is much worse.

> > Forcing it to a complete feature freeze.
> > I don't see how this benefit the client.
>
> I never suggested any such thing and you know it. I have stated, again
> and again, there is a difference between "adding features" and waiting
> until competitors add third party features and then killing the
> competition, which is what m$ does.

There were 3rd party networking, MS adding networking to windows, killed
them.
So, Windows should've been no-networking OS?
What about drivers? SB made a tidy profit from selling licenses to make 100%
compataible SB sound card, sound drivers kill it.
So Windows shouldn't have drivers, too.
What about GUI? There were GUI for DOS before (and during) Windows, so
Windows shouldn't have GUI.

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Siegal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 16:17:17 -0700

Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Interestingly, the people from Agenda Computing (who produce a cute
> > Linux-based PDA) have been working on something they call "Execute
> > in place". Essentially, if you have a directly accessible mass storage
> > device (Flash), you don't need to load the program into another tier
> > of memory (RAM) to execute it. Same OS, same program, but one machine
> > makes a statutory copy, and the other doesn't.
>
> That's not exactly new technology - low end Cisco routers like the 2500
> have executed directly from flash for years.

There are many such examples, but the relevant difference (if I
understand the Agenda concept correctly) is that these would be third
party applications.  In the case of Cisco (and countless other special
purpose devices that execute out of flash), there is no separetely
purchased and distributed software, only Cisco's operating system.

(This was one reason I cited the example of video game consoles.)

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 18:37:41 -0500

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9dmur9$de5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Are you trying to suggest that there are no linux servers that ever
> > crash within the first 100 or 200 days?  I hate to tell you this, but
> > there are.
>
> So?
>

> > Mean also means some crashed AFTER 120 days.
>
> Ah, now you get the point I was making? It is meaningless to quote a non
> average statistic for this kind of thing. Ans 120 days mean is rotten by
> any standards.

Really, then what is the mean of Linux?  Where are the statistics?  Where
are the studies?

A random sampling of Linux web sites on Netcrafts server shows an average
uptime of of much much less than 120 days.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:21:10 -0400

> Jan Johanson wrote:
>
> Is there really any doubt that W2K rox the house?

Such a belief is common among adolescents with no commercial IT experience.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.