Linux-Advocacy Digest #227, Volume #32           Fri, 16 Feb 01 01:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation ("Flacco")
  Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation ("Flacco")
  Re: ReiserFS ("Adam Warner")
  Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation ("Flacco")
  Re: Interesting article ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux ("Adam Warner")
  Re: Interesting article (J Sloan)
  Re: Interesting article ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Whistler, yet another Windows push. (J Sloan)
  Re: User Interfaces in the world of Linux... (J Sloan)
  Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation ("Flacco")
  Re: I will give MS credit for one thing (J Sloan)
  Re: Linux Threat: non-existant (J Sloan)
  Re: Windows XP! Will it really be reliable? (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Linux Threat: non-existant (J Sloan)
  Re: ReiserFS (Ralph Miguel Hansen)
  Since Microsoft Disapproves of Open Source Software... ("Adam Warner")
  Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American Activities Committee
("Flacco")
  Re: Interesting article (J Sloan)
  Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux (Ralph Miguel Hansen)
  success stories (Tim Hanson)
  Re: WindowsXP - Pay us to solve our bugs (J Sloan)
  Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: This is astonishing (MS/DRM/Hardware Control) (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft (Ralph Miguel Hansen)

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:03:59 -0500

> Well, I don't particular agree with his comments in particular, though he
> does have a partial point.  Open Source does threaten commercial software
> innovation.  Why should a company (not just MS) invest millions into R&D
> when open source peoplewill come along and offer a free version?
>
> On a side note, why is it that the words of one man are always taken as
the
> official word of MS?  When Jim Clark sent a letter to MS begging them to
buy
> Netscape, Barksdale dismissed it as not being an official statement of the
> company, yet he was the president, not just a VP as Alchin is.

For god's sake, redeem your soul before it's too late and just condemn this
statement from Microsoft, at least.  You are letting pride blind you to the
obvious.

You too can recover from Microsoft addiction - I'm doing it right now.

ps - I'm serious.

------------------------------

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:05:18 -0500

> It certainly threatens Microsoft's model of selling proprietary code and
> earning 80% profit margins from it, that's for sure.  It threatens
> Microsoft's hold on the choke points, where everyone else has to ask
> permission from Microsoft to innovate.  While it does threaten
> commercial proprietary software sales, software innovation is alive and
> well.

Isn't the price of a good in a competitive market supposed to approach its
marginal cost?

How on earth does one square that with the incredibly massive amout of
profit MS makes on its products?

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ReiserFS
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:19:09 GMT

Hi Mark,

> Well, I tried it. It is interesting, but no thanks. It seems slower than
> ext2 for most everything I do.
>
> Back to ext2, waiting for xfs.

Is ReiserFS set to do extra internal checking?:

CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK:

If you set this to yes, then ReiserFS will perform every check it can
possibly imagine of its internal consistency throughout its operation.  It
will also go substantially slower.  More than once we have forgotten that
this was on, and then gone despondent over the latest benchmarks.:-) Use
of this option allows our team to go all out in checking for consistency
when debugging without fear of its effect on end users.  If you are on the
verge of sending in a bug report, say yes and you might get a useful error
message.  Almost everyone should say no.

---

The other thing I'd add is that journaling is a safety feature. A
file system will be faster without it. Thus ReiserFS will need a
superior filesystem implementation to overcome the overhead that
journaling creates.

Regards,
Adam

------------------------------

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:06:39 -0500

> It's interesting to note that the whole phenomenon of Microsoft vs. Open
> Source most likely wouldn't exist had IBM not (albeit, unthinkingly)
> 'open-sourced' the PC architecture.

I don't buy that.  It just wouldn't be taking place on IBM hardware with MS
software.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:26:56 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:96hjrc$7jg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> will
> > be
> > >
> > > Sorry Les.  It doesn't ever say that.  The IIS error strings are
> > documented
> > > on MSDN. Go look em up.
> >
> > It did say exactly that, or as close as I could retype it.  The bizarre
> > event log viewing interface doesn't let you copy and paste and is
> > basically useless compared to a text file.
>
> Yes it does.

I can highlight it, but the right-mouse just pops up a "what's this? box.
What
is the "you're not in Kansas anymore mode" version of cut and paste?

> And if you like text file so much, export it.

Why isn't it useful to begin with?  Or as versatile as syslog?

> Win2K Pro comes with IIS.

Is there any difference in capabilities?  We were just about to order some
server licenses.

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:27:55 +1300

Hi all,

> Read the outrageous story at:
>    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4833927.html?tag=owv

I noticed this piece of life imitating art from /.:
http://www.segfault.org/story.phtml?mode=2&id=3a87eaa5-07b280c0

This piece of satire was written three days before Microsoft's comments
about open source being Anti-American.

Regards,
Adam

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:28:41 GMT

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> J, a great deal of NT's market (now, 2K's potential market) was
> displacing Unix "around the edges".  A large number of workstations, and
> even servers, were implemented to displace Unix.  Without almost
> universally poor results.  Yet Microsoft's monopolization, its concerted
> effort to FUD and convince corporate buyers that since their
> monopolization has been so obviously successful (this is all prior to
> the trial and conviction, of course, when people still assumed that MS's
> behavior was 'bad' but nothing would ever be done to stop it but hope it
> goes away because someone *else* manages to be able to afford to refuse
> the monopoly what it wants) that within a matter of a few years, Unix
> would be history.

Yes, that reminds me a lot of a company I worked for -
it's a very well known company, but I may want to work
there again some day, so I won't embarrass them here.

They needed a Solaris sysadmin/webmaster.

When I interviewed, I talked to their top cgi programmer
and found he was a strong Linux supporter. We spoke
the same language, had rapport, and and he gave me
the thumbs up.

When I went back to talk to the boss, he asked me
"So, what do you think of nt"? It seemed that nt was
the big buzzword among the management there, and
he wanted to know if I shared his enthusiasm.

When I told him what I thought, he appeared grieved,
and was silent for a time, and I added my requirement
that I use a Unix workstation rather than a windows pc,
in order to be effective and productive -

He agreed and offered me the job, but I probably could
have gotten a higher offer if I'd played the game a little
better - Oh well, 20/20 hindsight.

Anyway, I found myself surrounded by microsoft happy
managers, full of zeal to overturn Unix and create a new
world where windows reigned supreme, and they planned
to replace the company mail system with ms exchange,
to eventually run the company website on windows, etc.
It just got too weird for me, and I went to work elsewhere.

That was a few years ago. I recently ran into a manager
from the old company. He told me that the whole windows
empire had crashed and burned, those responsible had
been fired, and there was now a renewed interest in Unix.

It did my heart good to hear they'd come to their senses.

I may go back to work there.

jjs

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:14:13 GMT

"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:
>
> > But I've been told, and scolded over and over again that Linux
> > isn't Unix.
> >
> > So which is it?
>
> You might try thinking for yourself -
>
> Do you always waver among various beliefs
> depending on whatever you were last told?
>
> What do you think, Chad?

No, really, I want to know.

When it's good for Linux, Linux is Unix. When it's bad for Linux,
Linux isn't Unix.

I wish you guys would make up your mind and stick to something,
because it really just makes you look like idiots. But then,
we always knew that, I guess.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler, yet another Windows push.
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:30:22 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Try. I used to run Slackware from one of those Unleashed books. Made
> 40 floppies or something from the CD because my player wasn't
> supported .

Yep, I remember the 40 floppies days.

I started just doing nfs installs, much easier.

> I agree with you.

Hallelujah.

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: User Interfaces in the world of Linux...
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:31:39 GMT

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> If you have focus follows mouse on, but autoraise off, does clicking on
> the window raise the window?

Correct, but that just seems wrong to me...

jjs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:33:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Lloyd Llewellyn wrote:
>Basically Microsoft is trying to use the government to OUTLAW competition
>from open source.
>
>Wrapping himself in the American flag, Microsoft's Allchin says:  ''I'm an
>American, I believe in the American Way,'' he said. ''I worry if the
>government encourages open source, and I don't think we've done enough
>education of policy makers to understand the threat.''
>
>What in the WORLD is that supposed to mean?
>
>SOMEONE NEEDS TO WATCH VERY CLOSELY THAT THIS "EDUCATION" DOES NOT COME IN
>THE FORM OF MASSIVE POLITICAL DONATIONS.
>
>IS THERE ANY DOUBT LEFT IN ANYONE'S MIND that Microsoft will stop at
>ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to keep its power?
>
>This is not just PATHETIC - it's UTTERLY UNACCEPTABLE and a SHAMELESS
>ASSAULT on our rights.
>
>This is just sickening.

I totally agree.

But that same power which created this massive lie is creating
a new lie called .NET.

When the wealthy business owner finally figures out that .NET means
*HE* will have to finally *BUY* a license of all the software *HE*
stole over the last 20 years, Microsoft will be kicked out of
50% of the offices in this nation.

And it is from this action, you will find equal political influence
in the direction of Linux and against Microsoft.

We have to keep in mind that the *AMERICAN BUSINESSMAN* didn't
get into the position he is in today by being honest.

The *HONEST* businessman who bought all those licenses is a
rare one.  Especially if he's not a bankrupt one.

But, non-the-less, I agree that political influence against
all forms of OPEN SOURCE such as GNU/LINUX or the three BSD's
would pretty much put Microsoft at odd's with companies
like *APPLE* as their MAC OSX is indeed FREEBSD with a wrapper.

And let's not discount the effect of organizations like
NASA and the NSA and their influence on the commander in
chief.  They have an incredible influence on the CIC and
his actions.

Let us not discount the effect of the many high dollar
research projects building Linux super clusters to solve
the worlds problems.

And lastly, let's not discount the stink Microsoft is
raising against OPEN SOURCE in their vain attempt to
draw fire off them from the pending Federal Court ordered
Breakup.

There are *OTHER* more powerful influences like Germany
and the Swiss Banks who have given OPEN SOURCE a license
to KILL all Windows products.

I'd have to truthfully say that GW Bush would be a one
time president, just like his father, if he were to
take any sort of posture against these forces.

It would be as stupid for him as a suggestion of
passing a new tax hike or gun control law.

They'd rip his butt to shreds on the political
field.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:22:24 -0500

> Speaking of chasing taillights, Microsoft announced its revolutionary
> package for clustering up to (sit down for this, please) up to
> thirty-two (gad, my heart) nodes.  $3,000 per node.

To say nothing of the revolutionary new "Themes" technology in Windows XP
:-)

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I will give MS credit for one thing
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:36:40 GMT

Brian Langenberger wrote:

> Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : I am no MS advocate.  But, I will admit one thing:  Windows Media player is
> : much better than the video MPEG players I have used on Linux.  For video
> : MPEG, I usually use SMPEG w/ its plaympeg app to play videos.  On very large
> : video mpeg files, like for example a high-quality 50 MB music video, both
> : plaympeg and xmms w/ the smpeg plugin choke on the video, and the audio and
> : video both get horrible out of sync.
>
> <snip!>
>
> Have you tried "mtv" yet?  While it is shareware, I've yet to find
> an MPEG file that it doesn't like.  I recommend giving it a try
> and post back if it works/doesn't work on your setup.

Yeah, MTV is cool - I just ordered some video CDs
to watch with mtv....

jjs

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Threat: non-existant
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:38:08 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> Well, nothing has been put forth yet. I've posted several links in the
> past 3-6 months showing Linux having pretty small share and usually
> falling into the Other category. You have het to produce ONE SINGLE
> LINK.

That's because you're been spouting outrageous
nonsense and nobody really takes you seriously.

In technical terms, you've flipped the bozo bit.

jjs

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows XP! Will it really be reliable?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:38:57 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >

> >Marten Kemp wrote:
> >>
> >> Charlie Ebert wrote:
> >> <<snip>>

> >> What secret contracts? Special opcodes they only tell Microsoft about?
> >
> >MS tells them what opcodes they want Intel to implement....or something.
> >

> Oh please gentlemen!

it's a joke, Charlie....
laugh a little.

> Are you telling me that nobody is aware of the 64 bit Intel processor
> used in the HP-9000 series?  It's been on the road for along time now.
>
> It's the same damn chip.  But it's available ONLY for mainframe use.

I'm well aware of this.

> You mean to tell me you guys didn't know that?
>
> They are under contract to sit on this chip until Microsoft get's finished
> working the bugs out of their 64 bit code.

That's the secret contract referred to above...

> Go call an HP rep and ask him what kind of CPU is used in an HP-9000
> mainframe computer.

> >> -- Marten Kemp
> >
> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >Unix Systems Engineer
> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
> >ICQ # 3056642
> >

> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
>       http://www.debian.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:40:38 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> Web site? If you look at Netcraft, and then look at other sites that
> provide surveys and include the OS, Linux always way at the bottom.
> For Fortune500 sites, Linux is >2%.

Provide a link for this bizzare claim, if you can.

> Um... yours is the one that's unsupportable. You're making the
> wide-eyed claim, not me.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I'd love to chat with you some more Chad,
but it is very tedious and draining to talk
with you -

jjs

------------------------------

From: Ralph Miguel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 06:45:13 +0100

> mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Well, I tried it. It is interesting, but no thanks. It seems slower than
>> ext2 for most everything I do.
>
> Really?  Thats very strange.  In my own calculations, I've noticed that
> with reiserfs, my drives actually live up to their advertised throughput
> and seek times, while with ext2 they hit *maybe* 80% max.
>
> I have an ATA/66 and an ATA/100 interface, one HD on the 66, two on the
> 100.
>
> Whats your setup like?

When i.e. moving a directory with very much small files, it is really
slower than ext2.  But it seems reliable to me and I never had trouble when
using it.

Cheers

Ralph Miguel Hansen
Using S.u.S.E. 5.3 and SuSE 7.0

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Since Microsoft Disapproves of Open Source Software...
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 18:41:43 +1300

..I respectfully request that they stop shipping GPLed software:

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/interix/
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/interix/gpl.txt

Adam

------------------------------

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American Activities
Committee
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:30:39 -0500

I think I see where this is going.

Does anyone remember the press release by Ximian awhile ago about the
Chinese getting involved with the GNOME project?  Enough FUD in there to
feed an army.

That said - note to Ximian - please provide a distribution that has not been
touched by the bloody hands of the CCP, for those of us who still remember
Tiananmen.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:45:17 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> We still use telnet

What's with the "we" business?

perhaps you use telnet, I can't remember when I last used telnet.

> We still use crappy old XWindows

Sorry to hear of your woes - yes I know your pc X-windows
emulators are expensive and lack some neat features.

I'm very happy with my 3D accelerated, OpenGL X.

> Unix still has the brain-dead permission bits security.

You claim it's brain dead, with no explanation -
nobody has any idea what you're talking about.

> Even though many Unix vendors have implemented DAC, many
> people still insist on using permission bits.

Not sure what a Digital to Analog Converter has to do with
this - Oh wait, that's your code word for ACLs.

jjs

------------------------------

From: Ralph Miguel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 06:49:34 +0100

Adam Warner wrote:

snip

> This piece of satire was written three days before Microsoft's comments
> about open source being Anti-American.
>
> Regards,
> Adam

McCarthy works for M$ ?

Cheers

Ralph Miguel Hansen
Using S.u.S.E. 5.3 and SuSE 7.0

------------------------------

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: success stories
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:47:43 GMT

I found this cool page on Linux success stories, 521 of them, for when
the Luddites try to say "Wul, nobody's using it.  At least I haven't
heard of any."

http://www.stti-usa.com/LinuxSuccess.htm
--
Brontosaurus Principle:
        Organizations can grow faster than their brains can manage them

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WindowsXP - Pay us to solve our bugs
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:48:41 GMT

Todd wrote:

> "pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Did I read this wrong or do you have to pay for beta software these
> > days?
>
> Yup... Where were you for Mac OS X beta?  Red Hat betas?  Be OS betas?

Hello? anybody home?

Red Hat Betas?

You mean like the 7.1 beta I just downloaded?

What on earth are you talking about?

jjs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:49:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Lloyd Llewellyn wrote:
>> ``Free software is evil'' sez Microsoft.
>>
>>   http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4833927.html?tag=mn_hd
>
>Excuse me, is there anyone out there who thinks this is *funny*?
>
>Microsoft trying to get the government to view open source software as a
>threat the the American way?
>
>Gee, I just can't stop laughing.

Let's see here.

Microsoft say's Linux *IS* a threat to property rights.

But Microsoft also say's Linux *IS NOT* a threat to their market.

Well.  Mr. Ballard!  What was I saying to you about that 90,000,000
estimate you were telling us about?  Didn't I try and urge you that
this figure was *TOO LOW* sir?

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: This is astonishing (MS/DRM/Hardware Control)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 00:50:16 -0500

Nigel wrote:

> > The Reality of the situation is that most home systems are dictated
> > by whatever the adults use at work.
> >

> The more likely reality is that many home systems are running whatever
> software they could copy from work - when MS makes this impossible and
> users face the choice of wasting hard-earned cash on extra copies of MS
> office for home or switching to Linux what will they do?

that is the mystery.

> > When the workplace goes Linux....the households will soon follow.
> >

> Could be other way round - when home users become unable to copy ms apps
> from work and try linux and find it easier to use and more stable they will
> want to use the same software at work.

You give pointy-haired bosses too much credit.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Ralph Miguel Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 06:52:49 +0100

Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

snip

>      ``"We can build a better product than Linux," {Allchin} said.
>
> (Note:  No date was given for when, if ever, such a product might actually
> be developed and/or sold by Microsoft.)

Just do it ! And have a lot of fun.

Cheers

Ralph Miguel Hansen