Linux-Advocacy Digest #227, Volume #35           Thu, 14 Jun 01 09:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...) ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: More micro$oft "customer service" ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! ("ne...")
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and           (Thaddius
Maximus)
  Re: Getting used to Linux ("Osugi Sakae")
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and       ignorance...)
("Edward Rosten")
  Re: CP: Re: Want Linux on your desktop? Nine reasons to forget about it (Angel of
Paradise..)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Peter da Silva)
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Peter da Silva)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (Burkhard
=?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=)

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and
ignorance...)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:32:53 +0100

>> > If you are going to bash the US incessantly please understand that
>> > the USA is a republic and NOT a democracy.
>>
>> It's a representative democracy.
>>

> No, it's a republic!  The term "representative democracy" is purely to
> satisfy those who cannot grasp that the USA is a republic and who remain
> committed to believing that the USA is a democracy.  It's  simply a term
> to satisfy the ignorant.

You seem to be incapable of understanding that it can be a republic run as
a representative democracy.

> Nowhere in the US Constitution can the word "democracy" be found,  must
> less the term "representative democracy."

Uhhh. My moniter doesn't have the word "moniter" written on it, so I guess
it isn't then.

> The biggest abusers of the term democracy, embarrassingly and
> unfortunately, are US politicans.

It is a representative democracy. People vote in a democratic (ish) way
for people to represent them. these representatives run the republic for
them. That  is a representative democracy whether the constitustion says
it is or not.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:29:56 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Sandman"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > It si completely open , though.
>>
>> Is it? Is the source available and can anyone modify that source?
>
> PDF is a document format, not an application. The format is open,
> meaning  anyone can write PDF plugins or PDF readers. Or at least, this
> is probably
>  what the poster meant. I have no real clue about wheather PDF is open
>  or
> not. But compare it to Postscript, another Adobe format, that isn't
> open, and  Apple choose not to use it since the license was to
> expensive.

That's what I meant. Looks to me like PS is pretty open. I can write
programs in PS (see my sig) and I can get a free PS interpreter.

-Ed

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:44:58 GMT

On Jun 13, 2001 at 12:10, Colin Day eloquently wrote:

>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>

>> >and from my
>> >friends,  most pick BOTH drives,
>>
>> I've never seen a system available with both a DVD and a CDRW.  A DVD
>> and a CDROM, sure.  Maybe you don't understand the difference?
>>

>HP Pavilion 8765c has both.
And I hear there are notebooks with a combination DVD/CDRW.

Q:      Why do mountain climbers rope themselves together?
A:      To prevent the sensible ones from going home.
  8:44am  up 3 days, 10:09,  7 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

------------------------------

From: Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:45:09 +0100

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:

> >>Also, until the day that the US practices what it preaches, no one will
> >>really see the US as a true democracy.
> >>
> >>Matthew gardiner
> >>

> > Arrrgggghhhh...
> >
> > The USA is NOT a democracy much less a true democracy!  Our founding
> > fathers steered very clear of a democracy system and for good reason.
> >
> > Here is a link to a very short and concise read about Republic vs.
> > Democracy with some background on the decision for a republic:
> >
> > http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2000/tst121200.htm
> >

> So, what you are saying is that the US doesnot have a democratically
> elected government?

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.  A democratic election is an
election based on mob rule.  The USA is a republic.

http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2000/tst121200.htm

> Even though the government preaches those ideals to
> other countries, such as those in the Bulkins.

Our government is trying to express the ideal of democracy in the
sense of a "government for the people".  Admittedly, the term democracy
is often misused by US politicans.

From: "Osugi Sakae" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting used to Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:50:30 +0900

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Unknown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mlw says...
>
>>I will never go back to Windows.
>
> I am afraid I had to go back to windows, becuase the software I need to
> use is only on windows.
>
> For example, I bought ATI all-in-wonder radeon board, it is a TV tuner
> card and video card in one. the ATI mutlimedia software that comes with
> it and the driver and the the movie editing software all run on windows.
> They do not run on Linux. I tried to install driver I found from the net
> on linux to make the TV tuner card work, but gave up after few hours, I
> am not a kernel guy, I just wanted to use the card and the software.
>
> I would very much prefer to have stayed with Linux, but I am finding it
> is easier not to fight things and take the easy way. Just plug in the
> card and click and start to use the software. It took 5 minutes on
> windows to get everything working out of the box.
>
> I know this is not Linux fault. 3rd party write drivers and software for
> windows. But as 'user', Linux is not yet ready for what I want to do. If
> I was doing server and networking stuff, then Linux would be a good
> choice, but not for what I am doing now.
>
> F/

I had several similar problems in reverse.

i wanted to play around / learn programing but windows stuff was too
expensive. the free stuff (not counting gnu stuff which i didn't know
about) was totally lame. Linux all the programing stuff you could ever
want is free and included.

i wanted to play 3d games, not reboot continually. setting up 3d in
windows was not only a massive headache, but also made even the regular
desktop more unstable than usual. eventually trying to get 3d working
and stable resulted in gpf's and more than one reinstall of win98. so
when loki came out with q3a and ut, i gave up on windows all together.
3d in linux is now easier and (in my experience) much more stable than it
ever was in windows.

i wanted quality software for writing my books and web page. sure it
exists for windows, but it costs a fortune and is proprietary. LaTeX is
standard with linux installs and is open - and it does a much better job
than that pathetic printer plug-in for word.

i got tired of having the os on my computer interfere with my work
because my choice of programs didn't please the guys who wrote the os. So
i got linux and now all my programs work nicely with each other (at least
as nicely as is humanly possible for computer code).

anyhow, those are a few of the reasons why i use linux.

--
Osugi Sakae

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:35:45 +0100

>> I think that the first-past-the-post method used in the UK and US for
>> elections is out of date. It had its place when communications were
>> poor and proportional representation would have been very difficult to
>> do. In this day and age, I can't see how a system which lets the guy
>> who got fewer actual votes overall get in to power can be justified. We
>> have a similar problem here that the number of seats a party gets is
>> not linearly related to the number of votes they get, but rather less
>> fair.
>>

> Maybe you'll enjoy reading the following and realize that mob rule is
> not in the best interest of each individual's liberty.
>
> http://www.house.gov/paul/tst/tst2000/tst121200.htm

See if you can have an independent thought.

The point of the represantitive democracy is to avoid mob rule. That is a
different issue to people being improperly represented, as in the man who
received the most voted not getting in to power.

You clearly have little understanding of these terms you keep saying.

-Ed

From: Angel of Paradise.. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: nz.comp
Subject: Re: CP: Re: Want Linux on your desktop? Nine reasons to forget about it
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:53:29 +1200

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:30:08 +1200, "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Angel of Paradise.. wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:18:44 +1200, "Nathan Mercer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>>I've just put my flamesuit on.
>>>

>>>http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2773365,00.html
>>>

>>>Some highlights that made me smile:
>>>
>>>"because it gives a large number of geeks and wonks a religion to belong
>>>to--complete with a patriarch."
>>>
>>>"I don't have numbers to support this, but Linux may be a bigger threat to
>>>various flavors of UNIX than it is to Microsoft server operating systems."
>>>

>> GREAT goes a long with my thoughts some 200%..
>>
>> We must have  a news group for these nut's
>>
>> Like   nz.comp.linux.idiots   etc..
>>

>> Then we M$ users can live in peace and get on with using our PC's
>> with out having to play with every thing to get it going and being bombarded by
>Linux
>> Nerds..
>>

>Doesn't this sound like the typical AOL or earthlink dimwitt you
>constantly hear about, but of cource, in optimism you think, "na,
>someone can't be that thick!", or, "they must be in the extreme
>minority". Here is proof that idiocy exists everywhere, even people who
>don't even use Earthlink and AOL.

Don't put down Eathlink as a chap from their sorted out my HP Scanner problem with my
Nic, seem to know his stuff and picked on the problem strait away, the only one that
did, had to turn of my TCP/IP Bindings...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 08:58:25 -0400

drsquare wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:15:43 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> >> U.S. AIDS CASES BY EXPOSURE CATEGORY
> >
> >Are theses AIDS statistics or HIV disease statistics?
> >Do you know the difference?
>
> No, he doesn't.

Waht part of "U.S. AIDS CASES" do you not understand?

> >> EXPOSURE CATEGORY Sub-totals # of AIDS CASES
> >> Men who have sex with men - 326,051
> >
> >What kind of sex is this? Oral, anal, what.
> >Are these new or old cases?
>
> He doesn't know. The people who came up with the statistics don't
> know. That is why the statistics are worthless.

They tell us that Gays infect each other FAR FAR FAR more frequenty
than heterosexual.

> >> Injecting drug use - -
> >> MALE 126,889 -
> >> FEMALE 46,804 -
> >> TOTAL - 173,693
> >
> >Can you tell us why the number for men is higher for men Here?
>
> No, he can't. Neither can the people who came up with the statistics.
>
> >> Men who have sex w/men and inject drugs - 43,640
> >> Hemophilia/coagulation disorder - -
> >> MALE 4,663 -
> >> FEMALE 248 -
> >> TOTAL - 4,911
> >
> >.. these people have AIDS?
>
> It doesn't say. The statistics are worthless.
>
> >> Risk not reported or identified - -
> >> MALE 41,037 -
> >> FEMALE 15,533 -
> >> TOTAL - 56,572
> >>
> >>  - center for disease control, 1999
> >
> >Without some more information thee numbers are useless, and really dont
> >say anything.
>
> Looks like Kuntis loses again. Unfortuanetly, I had to killfile him
> after he pasted all those pointless statistics over and over again...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: 14 Jun 2001 12:23:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ketil Z Malde  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm not sure about that.  How many Linux or Mac users would switch to
> Windows because of it?  PC users buy by default MS software anyway, so
> while I agree there'd be a benefit to society, I don't think it's
> obvious where the revenue stream for Intel/MS is.

Every upgrade means another copy of Windows, even if they install over it.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Date: 14 Jun 2001 12:32:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Maynard Handley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On a mac---I couldn't speak about other loser systems---I upgrade the OS
> on my machine by installing a new CD, hitting the "go" button, and coming
> back twenty minutes later. All done and it just works.

That has *not* been my experience on Macs, even as far back as the SE/30
which is the oldest Mac I ever did much work on, back when the OS was much
simpler than it is now.

It's more a matter of "install into a new system folder, then spend a few
hours juggling INITs and DAs, and keep finding borken stuff for the next
few days".

I've only had a few upgrades into the same system folder go well, so I just
don't do that any more.

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:33:11 +0200

Sky King wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:40:06 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  (Sky King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
> >
> > >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > >[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> > >Except we "right wing nuts" have the stats to back us up.  Do you?
> > >sky
> >
> > Stats? I haven't seen you provide or refer to a single statistic.
> >
> There is a chart here.  You can see that hets are far behind homosexuals
> in the spread of aids.  http://www.righto.com/java/statsgraph.html
>  sky

Yep, and the guy running the website says on

http://www.righto.com/theories/index.html

"Many theories about AIDS have been posted to the internet. I have
investigated some of them as part of my curiosity of strange
theories on the Internet. "

Burkhard Wölfel
v e r s u c h s a n s t a l t (at) g m x . de
pubkey for this adress @ pgp.net

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:34:49 +0200

drsquare wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:08:56 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> Stats? I haven't seen you provide or refer to a single statistic.
>
> >U.S. AIDS CASES BY EXPOSURE CATEGORY
> >
> >EXPOSURE CATEGORY Sub-totals # of AIDS CASES
> >Men who have sex with men - 326,051
> >Injecting drug use - -
> >MALE 126,889 -
> >FEMALE 46,804 -
> >TOTAL - 173,693
> >Men who have sex w/men and inject drugs - 43,640
> >Hemophilia/coagulation disorder - -
> >MALE 4,663 -
> >FEMALE 248 -
> >TOTAL - 4,911
> >Heterosexual contact - -
> >MALE 23,361 -
> >FEMALE 43,128 -
> >TOTAL - 66,490
> >Receipt of blood transfusion, blood components, or tissue - -
> >MALE 4,784 -
> >FEMALE 3,598 -
> >TOTAL - 8,382
> >Risk not reported or identified - -
> >MALE 41,037 -
> >FEMALE 15,533 -
> >TOTAL - 56,572
> >
> > - center for disease control, 1999
>
> Wow, you posted some figures.

For the third time without where it was published.

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:39:30 +0200

Rick wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > That's a rumor being spread by.... homosexual activists
> > >
> > > (imagine that).
> > >
> > Well it makes a change from Communists
> > --
>
> Actually, in the last few years, the group with the largest report of
> new cases was teenage heterosexuals, primarily girls. However, recently
> there has been a rise in new cases among homosexuals. It seems this
> group, that was once so fastidious about barrier protection, have been
> lulled into complacency by thoday's drug treatments. Unfortunate.

hmm, I'd really like to read that study...
unfortunately you don't provide a source.

From: Burkhard =?iso-8859-1?Q?W=F6lfel?=
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:44:08 +0200

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > AIDS cases.
> > > >
> > > 1%?  What fucking planet are you living on you?
> > > --
> > > http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club
> >
> > I never said the 1% bullshit.  Just correct the figure, most cases, in
> > Eastern Europe, African and Asia are either hetro sex or drugs. Also, I was
> > assuming thats what AK was trying to say in his frantic hetro-fit.
>
> translation: I, Matthew Gardiner, am a homosexual...who is
>         trying to silence ANY AND ALL commentary against homosexual behavior.

grow up, kid!