From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:22:04 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "mlw"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >>
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:96h6sc$oh6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> > >
> >> news.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-4825719-RHAT.html?tag=ltnc

> >> business
> >> Boo-hoo-hoo!

> >> look

> >> Well, I don't particular agree with his comments in particular, though
> >> he does have a partial point.  Open Source does threaten commercial
> >> software innovation.  Why should a company (not just MS) invest
> >> millions into R&D when open source peoplewill come along and offer a
> >> free version?
> >
> > What about Windows for Workgroups to kill Novell? What about
> > "DriveSpace" free with DOS to kill stack? What about Free IE to kill
> > netscape?
> >
> > Sounds like someone is beating MS at its own game and poor little bill
> > can't take it.
>

> You can't envy his position. How do you fight a competitor who can't be
> bought out or under-cut.
>
> The game has changed and Mr. Gates and Co. are ill equipped to play by
> its' rules.

Gate's problem is that he's fighting an information-age battle
using industrial-age methods.

Haw haaaw.

> --
> Tom Wilson
> Sunbelt Software Solutions
> Presently lurking in his Linux Partition

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:33:07 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> In article <MFFj6.45899$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Myers"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:kEEj6.69$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> In article <hFlj6.41815$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad
> >> Myers"

> >> I'll post Mr Rahien's question again....
> >>
> >> " Describ a way to get over permissions in any *nix that implement perm
> >> bits (all of them). "
> >>
> >> ...as I noticed you ignored it in your first response.
> >
> > I replied to it. Don't you read posts?
> >
> > You're thinking at two low of a level. If you say that only X has
> > permissions to a file, then only X has permission to a file. I'm not
> > saying that that is broken or something. I'm saying, however, that perm
> > bits are too limiting, and they do not provide ample control, nor
> > reporting, nor auditing, nor inheritance, nor explit denies, nor any of
> > the basic concepts of modern security. It's a 70's architecture that
> > some undereducated head-in-the-sand individuals seem to not want to let
> > go.
> >
> > Even the major Unix vendors have seen how bad perm bits are and have
> > developed their own DAC implementations for the security concious.
>
> If such were the case, permission bits would have been relegated to the
> history books long ago. In all but the most demanding cases, permission
> bits do quite well and therefore are still used. Three forths of what you
> described just plain isn't neccesary for most installations.
>
> Anyway, why do you persist in lumping anything pre 90's into the waste
> bin?

Chad refuses to use cars, busses, airplanes, or trains, because they
are all dusty old 19th and 20th century technology.

> --
> Tom Wilson
> Sunbelt Software Solutions
> Presently lurking in his Linux Partition

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M$ taking over linux?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:35:25 -0500

Gareth Brereton wrote:

> i was wondering... if M$ distrobuted linux running a proprietary gui,
> installer/pakaging system, command line tools, etc (basically only the
> kernel is GPL)... then they promoted it like they've done with the XBox
> people would use it... wouldnt that give billy control to do what he
> likes? sorry.... im paranoid, just wondering if anyone has had any

Yes.

Just like the First Amendment gives you the right to say pretty much
whatever you please.

But...there's a catch

Nobody is required to Listen.

And ... what has Billy sooooooooooo upset about Linux is....it means
that now, nobody has to buy Mafiasoft crapware if they don't want to.

> similar thoughts and why or why not microsoft could do something like this

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:38:42 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >>Chad apparently doesn't understand RSA.
> >
> > Not to mention modern cryptology, public/private keypairing, and the
> > controversy over the Clipper chip.
> >
> > There's also the issue that copper wire is probably 30's era technology,
> > if not earlier.  But we're still using it.  Funny how that works.... :-)
>
> Copper wire has been around for well over a hundred years.

Very true.  Union battle-field telegraph systems were frequently taken
down by UNION troops...who would hack out bits and pieces as souvenirs.

(Much to the consternation of the commander of whatever army and the
corps commanders with whom he was trying to communicate).

> -Ed
>
> --
> Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
> weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr
>         - The Hackenthorpe Book of lies                   |@
>                                                           |eng.ox.ac.uk

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:40:44 +1100
From: Gareth Brereton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

no no no no no...
i was talkin about m$ using proprietary everything except the linux
kernel so the unsuspecting consumer goes "oh linux ive heard its good"
and goes and uses microsofts. basically im asking if anyone thinks
microsoft could take over linux if bill wanted too.

not using gpl'd gui alternative to X

oh and i like the bsd license better also (just wanna start a flame war) :)

Gareth

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:43:35 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:38:20 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >> ...unless they manage to outlaw open source software.
> >
> >That's impossible in the US.
> >
> >First Amendment.
>
> Napster may set an interesting precedent here.
> (In the sense of the old Chinese curse.)

First Amendment does NOT supercede copyright law.

Reason:  Copyrights and Patents come *before* the First AMENDMENT

(Copyrights are part of the original document.  First Amendment, like
all the other Amendments....is something that was 'tacked on')

> I'm *not* thrilled, myself.  However, Microsoft could succeed.

Nope...not at all.

There is absolutely NO court in the land that can prevent me from
putting something under GPL without getting overturned by the Supreme
Court.

Putting something that YOU WROTE under GPL (or similar) is YOUR RIGHT.

> If they do, Linux may find itself illegal in one of the largest
> economies in the world.

Not happening.
Never will.

> And I suspect Microsoft can throw layers of lawyers at the system.

Waste of money.  First Amendment is very clear.

> [rest snipped]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random paranoia here
> EAC code #191       13d:16h:43m actually running Linux.
>                     Yes, uptime & wall clock aren't in synch; I don't know why.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:48:40 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Gareth Brereton wrote:
> >i was wondering... if M$ distrobuted linux running a proprietary gui,
> >installer/pakaging system, command line tools, etc (basically only the
> >kernel is GPL)... then they promoted it like they've done with the XBox
> >people would use it... wouldnt that give billy control to do what he
> >likes? sorry.... im paranoid, just wondering if anyone has had any
> >similar thoughts and why or why not microsoft could do something like this
> >

> I don't CARE if Microsoft wants to make money honestly!
> If they came up with their own Linux distribution and released
> the GUI via the GPL for a change, they would take Linux EVERYWHERE
> for us and still manage to maintain their status as the software
> king of the world.  And WHY NOT?
>
> Brand loyalty is everything to the customer.  It truely is.
> And if they offered their own Linux distribution, the OS would
> actually be stable.
>
> They couldn't manage to deviate from the Linux base as GPL'd code
> would contain any stupid actions on their part.  It would act like
> a stupid filter.

This is PRECISELY why Gates, Ballmer, and Allchin fear Linux.

> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
>       http://www.debian.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:50:12 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >

> >Charlie Ebert wrote:

> >> This is TRUE!  A distant former Boss of mine actually had
> >> one of these!  I'm shocked you remember this!
> >>

> >Rumors of my alzheimer's are overstated.
>
> HA!  I still remember what I said when I saw the thing!
>
> Hey!  You got an Apple!  He said NO I DON'T!
> It's a FRANKLIN!
>
> I said, what the hell is a FRANKLIN!  That's an APPLE!
>
> NO!  It's a FRANKLIN.  FRANKLIN WHAT!  It's AN APPLE!
>
> NO FRANKLIN!  READ HERE!  SEE FRANKLIN!
>
> WOW!  FRANKLIN IS GOING TO GET SUED!!!!
>
> That was my exact words!  20 years ago!
> I remember!

They copied EVERY last bit of it...right down to the shape and color
of the case....even the ventilation slots.

I think the only thing that was different was the nameplate.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:51:58 -0500

Brent R wrote:

> <snip>
> > Chances are an NT machine set up and working may be stable for extended periods
> > of time. (weeks) It is when you start installing many pieces of software that
> > all this stuff starts to crumble.
>
> Bam! Precisely. Windows works fine until I have 30 or so apps installed
> on it. Right now I'm getting BSOD's and hangs all the time, who the hell
> knows what from. All I know is that it's just about time for another
> reinstall.

Conversely, GM has Unix systems with 150 installed apps...and there's
not
even the slightest question if adding another one will impact stability.

Because in a well-designed system, crashing apps don't harm the OS.

> --
>
> Happy Trails
>
> -Brent
> =============================
> http://rotten168.home.att.net
> =============================
> ICQ# 51265871

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: .NET is plain .NUTS
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 05:53:39 -0500

Jim Cason wrote:

> Or... just work for a company that pays for its licensing correctly. They
> are out there and they do have some integrity.

Depends.

If they're properly paying for licenses to Microsoft....that's as stupid
as going to Vito the Enforcer and Kelly the Crack Dealer for a loan.

> "Bloody Viking" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:96nblj$pr8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Charlie Ebert ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >
> > : Let's quit beating around the bush here.
> > : I'm not a traitor to any employer I've ever had.
> > : I'm not about to turn in an employer I've had.
> >
> > While you might not ever "go postal" by turning in an employer by calling
> the
> > BSA, so long as any company ever uses payware, ANY disgruntled employee
> can.
> > Who needs to pack some heat when the Copyright Fine is $250K/pop? A bad
> warez
> > company can be _nuked_ by one disgruntled employee, and the "nuke attack"
> is
> > perfectly legal. Who needs guns? ANY company using warez is just a phone
> call
> > away from financial armageddon. We all know that nearly every company is
> using
> > warez. All you need is ONE disgruntled employee to pick up that damn phone
> > nuke the company back to the stone age.
> >
> > This is one fucking good reason to use Linux in the workplace. You protect
> > yourself from anyone "going postal" by attempts at calling the BSA.
> >
> > --
> > FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> > The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> > The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.