From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 04:07:40 -0500

Brent R wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> >
> > Ben Pfaff wrote:

> > > [Snip other nonsense]
> > >
> > > Wonderful.  Only a week or so after I empty my killfile, another
> > > fuckhead Ugly American prick shows up.
> >
> > Please do not think Aaron is representative of all Americans. All countries and
> > all cultures have their share of people like Aaron.
>
> I'm an American too, and sadly I'd have to disagree. America breeds more
> immature, online, shit-talkers than any other country online.

Regardless, I have taken an Oath, as a soldier in the US Army, to
defend the Constitution of the United States....and have served for
12 years, including 1 year in the Southwest Asia combat zone....
duty which I volounteered for when a call was put out for volounteers
to do exactly that.

That's not talking shit...that's backing up my words with action.

> > --
> > The majority of the stupid is invincible and guaranteed for all time.
> > The terror of their tyranny, however, is alleviated by their lack of
> > consistency.
> >                 -- Albert Einstein
> > ------------------------
> > http://www.mohawksoft.com
>
> --
> Happy Trails!
>
> -Brent
>
> http://rotten168.home.att.net

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 04:09:19 -0500

Scott Gardner wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 01:05:24 +0000, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >> These are the much same criteria my state uses before anyone is issued a
> >> concealed-carry permit, and most states are equally strict, if they even
> >> allow concealed-carry at all.
> >
> >It is not about concealed guns, but guns in general.
> >
> Okay, then simplify the argument.  Why don't you wan't me to own a
> gun?
> >
> >> Tell me exactly WHY you think that I, and
> >> people like me, should not be allowed to own and carry handguns??
> >
> >How can you guarntee that someone unbalanced does not buy a gun?
> >
> >-Ed
>
> My idea of freedom isn't about guarantees.  "Someone unbalanced" can
> buy a car, or a baseball bat, or a brick, and inflict harm on others
> with it.  I just don't feel that depriving EVERYONE of something just
> because wackos can abuse it is the solution.  Define some minimum
> standards, and let the responsible people enjoy the freedom.

Besides...the rising gun-crime rate in the UK demonstrates
undeniably that the Rosten's favorite means, that of banning
guns....doesn't do shit.

Unless he considers career criminals to fall outside of the
definition of "mentally unbalanced"

> Scott Gardner
> LT           US Navy

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: 27 Feb 2001 09:09:33 GMT

Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: On 27 Feb 2001 00:19:35 GMT, Steve Mading wrote:
:>Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>: On 23 Feb 2001 18:49:48 GMT, Steve Mading wrote:

:>:>But what if a C compiler didn't support malloc(), or printf()?  Those
:>
:>: If it didn't support those, it wouldn't be a C compiler. The ISO C
:>: language definition clearly says that those are supposed to be supported.
:>
:>And Pipes are an INTERPROCESS tool, by definition.  DOS didn't have
:>more than one process.  It had a single "process" that lived forever,
:>often replacing its program code with a newly loaded EXE or COM
:>file, but that's not the same thing as starting a new process.
:>(Program != Process).  Piping is impossible under that type of
:>environment, even using MS's temp file technique.  Why is it
:>impossible?  Because you can't communicate between two processes
:>when only one process can actually exist.  DOS 'pipes' are a method
:>for a process to communicate with ITSELF, not to other processes.

: I don't know why you're bothering to offer this argument -- I am *NOT* trying
: to argue that DOS has real pipes, I've already argued the opposite (and offered
: an argument similar to the one you present here)

But the argument I've just offered is pretty much the same as the one
you objected to.  I'm officially confused now.

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:02:52 +0100
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft

In article <tJFm6.464$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> 3. OSs don't increase in performance, although they now run on faster
>> hardware. Therefore the relative performance of OSs goes down.
>
> I still don't follow this.  When the OS runs on a faster computer, it's
> performance goes up as well.  You have stated only prices, and nothing
> relating to performance.

My question was related to your statement that an OS upgrade is generally
not an upgrade in performance. Example: Let's say Win95 on a Pentium uses
about 10% CPU when it's idle, and Win98 on a Pentium III also uses about
10% CPU when it's idle. That would mean that Win98 would be slower than
Win95. That's the way I understood your original comment.
I just wanted to know what exactly you meant by stating that OS
performance doesn't increase with upgrades. Sorry for any
misunderstandings.

Mart
--
All great discoveries are made by mistake.
                -- Young

------------------------------

From: "Z" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 10:15:35 +0100

Once upon a while "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Regardless, I have taken an Oath, as a soldier in the US Army, to
> defend the Constitution of the United States....and have served for
> 12 years, including 1 year in the Southwest Asia combat zone....
> duty which I volounteered for when a call was put out for volounteers
> to do exactly that.
>
> That's not talking shit...that's backing up my words with action.

Actually that is the greatest shit talking shitter I've ever
seen. If you want to back up with action, than take your big
american ass out of this techincal newsgroup.

(Yes, I'm not american. Thank god!)
--
Z ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
"LISP  is worth learning for  the profound enlightenment  experience

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux--First Impressions from a semi-newbie
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:11:34 +0000

> My biggest hardware gripe so far is that my network
> card isn't supported under 2.2, but it is under 2.4.2. Problem is, since
> I had to supply my RAID device driver during the initial of RH with
> kernel 2.2, I can't incorporate support for my RAID card under kernel
> 2.4.2, so for right now, I have to choose between my Ethernet card and
> my RAID array.

You might find that the card driver has been backported to 2.2, but the
support might not be in the official kernel or RedHat's kernel.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 04:16:11 -0500

Scott Gardner wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 01:04:04 +0000, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >> Again, you're showing your mindset.  If the armed forces of a government
> >> turned against the citizenry, the "mobile gun unit shelling you from 60
> >> miles away" would be right in SOMEONE'S backyard, and if the armed
> >> forces have declared war on the citizens, that someone would likely be
> >> sympathetic to your cause.  In my country at least, there are almost 300
> >> million people, and only a few million in the armed services.
> >> Considering that so much of our infrastructure is supported by
> >> civilians, and the country is so huge, I can speak intelligently as an
> >> officer in the United States military and tell you that if we were to
> >> try such foolishness, we would be righteously fucked...
> >

> >Yes, but the civs don't need handguns to do that.
> >
> >-Ed
>
> I disagree.  I would put the armed forces up against the civilians and
> give us pretty good odds, if I knew that the civilians didn't have any
> firearms at all.

On the other hand, when the civilians ARE armed, you get things like

The American Revolution (1775-78):
        -- civilians beat the British Army

The German occupation of Yugoslavia (1941-45):
        -- The only ground the Germans truly controlled was that which
        was within 30 centimeters of a German boot (but only if the
        soldier wearing it was still alive).

Viet Nam (1945-73):
        -- French Army defeated by armed civilians
        -- US + multinational Army and Air Force defeated by armed civilians

Afghanstan (1988-89)
        -- Soviet Army and Air Force (comparable to 1960's American
        technology) defeated by a armed civilians living in a culture
        with a level of technology closer to the 1600's.  Some
        muhadeen were even carrying muzzle-loaders made in the 1800's
        and earlier.

> Scott Gardner
> LT       US Navy

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:17:43 +1300

Hi Steve,

> I'm sick and tired of this misrepresentation of the crime of copyright
> infringement.  IT ISN'T THEFT UNLESS YOU DEPRIVE THE ORIGINAL OWNER OF
> THE THING IN QUESTION!  (And, no removing the oppurtunity to make profit
> doesn't count.)  Plagerism is not theft.  Illegal copying is not theft.
> Theft is REMOVING something from its original owner and taking it with
> you, not making a second copy of it without permission. I hate that the
> big companies misuse this term all the time.  It belittles the real
> crime of theft.

The-times-are-a-changing. Breach of copyright used to not be a criminal
offence in the United States (it could expose a person to civil
liability).

Now it is a felony.

Of course the term "piracy" is even more inflamatory than theft, since
piracy describes the practice or act of robbery of ships at sea (or a
similar practice in other forms, such as hijacking).

Richard Stallman discusses these issues in his speeches. I've almost
finished listening to the most recent one (at ArsDigita):

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/audio/audio.html

Look what President Bush wrote to the Business Software Alliance last
year:

http://www.bsa.org/usa/globallib/bushresponse.phtml

"I will protect intellectual property, which is a cornerstone of the
information economy in the same manner that physical assets were in the
industrial economy."

Therefore "theft" of intellectual property would be the perfect
description.

I noticed that the bsa.org is running php (the phtml suffix gives it away).
Netcraft states the site running:

 The site www.bsa.org is running Apache/1.3.12 OpenSSL/0.9.5a (Unix)
 AuthMySQL/2.20 PHP/3.0.16 on FreeBSD.

Great to see the Business Software Alliance runs free software.

Regards,
Adam

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Judge Harry Edwards comments....
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 04:19:23 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> [...]
> And there's a poll which shows over 60 % of Americans
> feel Judge Thomas Penfield Jackson was biased in his
> trial of Microsoft.
>
> Here are two more peices of the article you can read for
> yourself
>
>   "I think the intriguing thing in the afternoon was the chief
>    judge led the charge (against the government's case) on
>    some of these issues," said William Kovacic, a professor of
>    antitrust law at George Washington University.
>
> Intriguing, LED....  These are very interesting words.
>
> Isn't it really the JOB of the MICROSOFT ATTORNEY'S TO DO THIS?
> This judge hasn't even seen all the evidence for himself.
> The trial has just started.  If this were true then it would
> be the post trial comments of the judge.  These comments
> would be made during the ruling section....
>
>    The judge's questions "did much more damage to the
>    government than they did to Microsoft," said Robert Lande,
>    a law professor at the University of Baltimore.
>
> Robert Lande says it best.
> It's just like the Republicans say, the government is corrupt and
> evil.
>
> Yeah right.  19 states file this action.  Everybody was having
> a coffee and a donought when all this ocurred.  It was just
> like the presidential elections in Florida.  Nobody knew how
> to make their ballot but they thought they were doing right.
>
> 19 states of elected officials were completely on drugs.
> They were OFF their rocker.  They ALL GOT BIASED at the SAME TIME
> towards MICROSOFT.
>
> And Jeffery Minear is one of them.
>
> Even thought he wasn't at Jacksons trial, he's one of them.
>
> He was just the specialist attorney the DOJ appointed to
> handle this appeal trial.
>
> This just stupify's me.  It really does.
>
> The Judge argues the point that to break up Microsoft will just
> create ANOTHER monopoly?
>
> Just like the phone company thing.  They are all one big strange
> monopoly who's went from $1.20 a minute to 5 cents.
>
> Oh, and the phone company officials are all on drugs also.
>
> http://judgelink.org/about/AdvisoryBd/Edwards.htm
>
> There's the judges web site.  Appointed by President Carter.
>
> I am absolutely positive that if this attempt to break up
> Microsoft does fail and justice is reduced that another
> attempt will be made in the future.
>
> The AT&T breakup BTW was actually initiated in 1958 and
> finished in 1984 when the decree finally was approved.
>
> Justice does happen.  It sure isn't swift.
>
> The we run into people like Judge Harry Edwards with
> their contemptable logic and appearent lack of historical
> knowledge, which lead me to conclude that we will end
> up going around with Microsoft again in the future.
>
> I don't think for one minute the appeal court is going
> to give this trial a fair trial nor represent the best
> interests of the American people.
>
> Clearly they are not using their heads on day 1.
> And this is not proceedural notions either.

Yes, I watched the C-SPAN tapes in the evening.

Sounds to me like Judge Edwards has been given the magic digits
to an anonymouse bank account in Luxembourg or the Cayman Islands.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Feb 2001 09:17:36 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:976bmc$drc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>
:>
:> : The definition says it's a queue of bytes between two processes.  A file
: is
:> : most definately a queue of bytes.  And it bridges two programs via their
:> : stdin and stdout.
:>
:> Programs != Processes.
:>
:> The DOS style is actually a temporary storage between one process and
:> ITSELF, because there is only one process in DOS.  At different times it
:> is populated by different program images, but it is only one process.

: I see you didn't comment on my arguments about other OS's that also don't
: have processes, but do have multitasking such as AmigaOS and MacOS <= 9.x

The definition of a pipe as an interprocess tool is very old and
predates the use of threads, so it doesn't mention them.  But when
it comes down to it, a thread is half of what makes a process.
A process is an execution thread plus a walled-off memory space.
The only difference between a thread and a process is that memory
space.  When it comes to pipes, that memory space difference is
irrelevant to how they work.  By that measure, pipes between threads
are still pipes.  They work exactly the same way as pipes between
processes - there is no difference.  In DOS, because of the lack of
BOTH processes and threads, they CANNOT be implemented the same way.

: What about DR-DOS which multitasks DOS programs?

I don't know DR-DOS internals.  I have no idea how it implemented
piping.  If it did it by running both processes at the same time
and feeding output from one to the other on-the-fly, then yes,
that would have been real piping.  I don't know if this is what
it did or if it just did the same thing MS-DOS did (which would not
be piping).

I never got much of a chance to play with DR-DOS.  For some strange
reason all computers sold in stores had MS-DOS on them, whether
I liked it or not.  I seem to recall the DOJ having something to
say about why that was the case...