  Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message (Anonymous)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:57:08 -0400

Goldhammer wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:06:06 GMT, Randall Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Well, I spend much larger amounts on hardware and on other
> >software development tools. Then there is what I get paid for
> >doing stuff. I see that people don't want to pay a lot
> >for an editor.
>
> If vi cost money, I'd buy a license.
>
> >But at the same time, editing is the one
> >thing that many of us spend the bulk of our time doing.
>
> Right. Which is why so many of us prefer vi. When you
> have to sit there editing stuff for hours and hours,
> you eventually get tired of playing chords (Emacs) or
> using a mouse (GUI-based editors like UltraEdit, TextPad).
> You start wishing you just had an editor that would let you
> do things as efficiently as possible, with the least amount
> of carpal-tunnel abuse.
>
> As for features like syntax highlighting -- sure, gvim
> supports this very well. But say you're editing 20,000-line
> Fortran 77 codes, day after day, month after month. The
> syntax highlighting gets burned into your retina; it
> becomes unbearable. I have to leave it turned off. This
> feature just isn't that useful to me anymore, in any editor.
> Neither are any features having to do with mouseclicks.

Syntax highlighting is useful for NOVICE programmers.

Most experienced programmers have used one-color text
for program code for years...

> >Some people want to be totally dedicated to Open Source
> >only and that is fine. But for those of us that are willing
> >to buy commercial dev tools I really don't think $300 is
> >too much for the most important tool we use.
>
> It's not an ideological issue. People like vi because
> it's a great editor. Who the hell wants to edit text
> with a GUI editor? It's plain nuts. Think about it.
> It's like using a GUI to drive your car.
>
> --
> Don't think you are. Know you are.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:59:07 -0400

Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >         If I moved around from machine to machine a lot (which
> > > I don't) then I would stick emacs with all my configuration and extra
> > > packages and anything else that I wanted onto a CD-ROM, and run it off
> > > there.
> >
> > In that case, you would have a lot of clients pissed at you.
>
> Why? he is saying he is going to run it from CD-ROM. Nothing gets onto
> client's hard disk.

run emacs
get software upgrade distribution CD
swap CD's
want to edit config files
swap CD's
want to do upgrade
swap CD's
want to clean up config files
swap CD's.

FUCK THAT!

> Bye, Dragan
>
> --
> Dragan Cvetkovic,
>
> To be or not to be is true. G. Boole

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:00:24 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Roberto, you are an ass.  You started out pretty good but now you are just
> >another oxygen bandit making noise but saying nothing.
>
> I thought you had "shut me out"? What happened, lack of will?
> I suppose this post of yours is not "saying nothing", according
> to some perverted standard, too.
>
> You believe I "started pretty good" simply because the object of
> my derision was Aaron, who you seem not to like. Since the differences
> between you two are negligible to me, you are now getting several
> spoonfuls of the medicine you so enjoyed Aaron drinking.
>
> Of course then I am not "pretty good" anymore. That's a self-serving
> double standard, but I am not too surprised.

Thank you,  for providing me several hours of amusement
by attacking each other....you tools.

> --
> Roberto Alsina

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:01:31 -0400

Roberto Selbach Teixeira wrote:

> >>   Aaron> Phillip Lord wrote:
> >>   >>  >>>>> "Aaron" == Aaron R Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >>   >>
> >>   Aaron> Which means that as soon as your on a new machine, your
> >>   Aaron> stuck editing WITHOUT your config file....
> >>   >>
> >>   Aaron> UGH.
> >>   >>  This is why God invented NFS mounted home spaces.
> >>   >>
> >>   >> Phil
> >>
> >>   Aaron> And if your behind a corporate firewall which doesn't
> >>   Aaron> permit NFS connections through it....
> >>
> >>         Fortunately god also invented floppy disks.
> >>

> > emacs that fits on a floppy. you're kidding, right?
> >

> There's one in Tom's boot :-)

And all of the neato things which all the emacs affecionados
claim to make it useful....

oh yeah..that won't fit...

> --
> Roberto Selbach Teixeira                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Conectiva, S.A.                            http://www.conectiva.com
>
> May Emacs enlighten the lives of more and more unbelievers.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:03:59 -0400

Eric Smith wrote:

> Peter da Silva wrote:
> > As for Microsoft running out of ideas... Microsoft hasn't been much of
> > an innovator in their entire history. They started out producing
> > competant software development tools for CP/M and a mediocre but well
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > You mispelled "BASIC interpreters stolend from DEC"
>
> Having seen the source code for both DEC's and MS's BASIC interpreters,
> I've seen no evidence that MS stole any of DEC's code.
>
> And you misspelled "misspelled" and "stolen".

Even gates admits that the original MS BASIC interpreters came
from the BASIC interpreter for the PDP-11 which just happened to
be on the surplus tapes he purchased from them.

Apparently, Gates believes it's copyright violation only when
it's being done TO him, but not when it's being done BY him.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Has Linux anything to offer ?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:05:18 -0400

Ian Davey wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
> >> The problem is that on Linux, there is no consistant and coherant way
> >> with how applications work. One can't cut/paste from one app to
> >> another like on windows.
> >

> >Middle button: copy
> >Left button: paste
>
> Drink more coffee ;-)
>
> Select with left mouse button: copy
> Middle button: paste

whoops.  brain fart
I stand corrected.

> ian.
>
>  \ /
> (@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
> /(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
>  | |

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 11 Apr 2001 14:05:36 -0500

On 11 Apr 2001 18:15:41 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Roberto, you are an ass.  You started out pretty good but now you are just
>>another oxygen bandit making noise but saying nothing.
>
>I thought you had "shut me out"? What happened, lack of will?
>I suppose this post of yours is not "saying nothing", according
>to some perverted standard, too.
>
>You believe I "started pretty good" simply because the object of
>my derision was Aaron, who you seem not to like. Since the differences
>between you two are negligible to me, you are now getting several
>spoonfuls of the medicine you so enjoyed Aaron drinking.
>
>Of course then I am not "pretty good" anymore. That's a self-serving
>double standard, but I am not too surprised.
>
>--
>Roberto Alsina

Are you an alien from another planet?  Nothing you post here makes one
bit of sense.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
From: Paul Repacholi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Apr 2001 02:27:33 +0800

"MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "unicat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

I just could not let this pass without comment.

> Jury is out, IMO, on what impact IBM will have on MS's market share
> through it's exploitation of Linux.  Some corporate piss may trickle
> from the commode down to Linux's end-user base.  Funny, you would
> have me mistrust MS, (easy to do) but would have me trust IBM?

Microsoft is the Big Blue of the 90s.

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.

From: "Jon Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: 11 Apr 2001 14:23:04 -0500

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 2 Apr 2001 18:43:06 -0500, Jon Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> the "strings" command finds embedded strings in ANY file, including
> >> compiled executables and dll files.
> >>
> >> "Copyright (C), Regents of the University of California" strings have
> >> been found in Mafia$oft's DLL files.
> >>
> >> Hope that helps.
> >
> >I don't believe you. How about showing us one?
> >

> Hey Everybody!  It's Jon!  Hi Jon!
>
> You asked, so here ya go:
>
> Here are some files from a Windows 2000 Professional system along with
> the copyright strings that are contained in them:
>
> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\finger.exe
> @(#) Copyright (c) 1980 The Regents of the University of California.
> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\nslookup.exe
> @(#) Copyright (c) 1985,1989 Regents of the University of California.
> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\rcp.exe
> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\rsh.exe
> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\FTP.EXE
> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.

Yer right - look at that. Proof from a linvocate - sorry, that caught me off
guard.

big deal - you don't really consider those commands significant to the rest
of W2K do you?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:23:24 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking) wrote:
> Anonymous ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : desktop market share
>
> : windows 92%
> : linux 1%
> : mac 4%
>
> : ha haaaw!
> :                          jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> You might want to stick with the fat debate where at least being skinny has
> some health merit.

windows is a pretty cool system. i like it just fine.
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Linux console?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:31:28 -0700

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Another Linux venture bites the dust.
>
> --
> ---
> Pete Goodwin
> All your no fly zone are belong to us
> My opinions are my own

It reads more like it lacked funding due to the way the markets are
going down.
No company is really having any luck attracting investments.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Date: 11 Apr 2001 19:36:30 GMT

Martigan posted:
>Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18233.html
>>
>> Another Linux venture bites the dust.
>>

>Well IMHO it is worthless for any Linux developers to go into
>the Game councel area.  M$ is trying it and will have some luck
>because they have a lot of money!  If you take all the linux
>distributions out there and sum up there monitary worth they
>still wont equal M$.
>
>I don't like M$ but one must correctly judge their advisary!

I think Microsoft is insane to get into the console gaming
market. If SEGA, a company with decades of experience in the
field cannot do it right, what makes Microsoft think that *they*
can do it?

In any case, if history is any indication, Microsoft's first try
at the Xbox will fail. It remains to be seen if they will make
enough money from it to release the next version of the Xbox.

--
Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:45:49 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
>
> > Have you ever heard the term, "the best technology doesn't always win on
> > the day". UNIX has been around for 35 years, and has never been intended
> > to be run on end lusers systems such as yours, that is why they have stuck
> > with high end servers and workstations, the area where the end user has
> > some grey matter in
> > their head.    Also, if you were to look at Linux as the Desktop version
> > of UNIX, considering it has only been around for 9 years, it has made
> > tremendous inroads into the OS market, considering that not only is it
> > competing against UNIX is
>

> I think unix (especially linux) is wonderful as a desktop, and it requires
> less knowledge of the user than windows does , certainly.    There a few
> odds and ends that need to be taken care of before linux hits the
> mainstream on the business desktop (the home desktop is another matter
> altogether) - printing comes to mind.  Then there's the application
> problem, but that will eventually disappear.
>
> The biggest obstacle to linux on the workplace desktop are all the idiot
> windows admins out there who couldn't understand unix to save their lives.

spot the idiocy