  Re: Democratic Republics (Was: Communism, etc.) ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 23:18:52 GMT

Said Jeffrey Siegal in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 03 Apr 2001
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>> >Of course it is.  In a legal sense, a computer is a tool, like a pot or
>> >a pan (or a photocopier).
>>
>> Tools can't 'read' things.  If the computer is a tool, so's the
>> software, and you can't copyright a tool.
>
>Thank you, Max.  You've finally posted something so thoughtless and
>idiotic that I've decided to stop reading your posts at all.  I
>appreciate the saved time.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha.  Is anybody else as confused about this, or is Jeffrey
just posturing?

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Baseball
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:22:08 +1200

I was simply pointing out that no country is perfect, however, over the last
2-3 days, I bet ya most people now regret voting in G W Bush.  I am actually
surprised he got voted in.  When he was quized about international policy,
he was as thick as two short planks, he didn't even know the leaders of some
of the US's allies! For example, in New Zealand, one of our faults is that
we are too pesimistic, hence the reason why our stock market has never
achieved anything greater than 2500points, and CEO's who don't perform end
up getting lynched at the AGM. An example of this would be Beauty Direct, a
dot-con company set up to sell cosmetics online.  Had it been listed on the
NASDAQ, the price would have gone through the roof, however, it listed on
the NZSE,  people hammered it, it now trading at 15 cents a share, and no
one wants to buy it because it is loosing money, which is one perk of being
a pesimistic country, you don't loose money :)

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:28:29 +1200

Its rather disappointing that the US doesn't have a good International
cricket or rugby union team, for a country with 220 million, I'd expect
atleast one. After seeing Canada and the US play, geeze, talk about a
pitaful site.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: do penguins like fish?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 23:31:10 GMT

So far I've seen three products with the word "fish" in them:
  blowfish, twofish (both encryption systems) and sawfish (a window manager)

Is there some private joke I don't know about?

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 00:33:26 +0200

Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> Oh, so the Rep's were the only ones honest about their dealings?  Here
> is a better idea, have these parties publicly funded according to their
> share of the votes (like how NZ do it), and not allows corps and
> influencial people
> to bribe, sorry, "donate" to parties.  The system in New Zealand is that
> you come towards a election funding board, and demonstrated that you
> have a certain number of people supporting you, hence, Labour and
> National, who are the main two parties get more money for campaigning
> than say, Alliance or the Greens that only recieved around 15% and 7%
> respetively, of the votes at the last elections.

Quite similar system is used in germany.
It is still possible to donate to the parties. But each donation
exceeding about 10000$ must be disclosed who gave it and when.

Peter

--
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

------------------------------

From: Eric Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.arch
Subject: Re: IA32, was an advocacy rant
Date: 04 Apr 2001 16:46:03 -0700

Alexis Cousein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Too bad they're IA*32*, though, and can't address more than 4GB.

Only a per-process virtual memory limit.  And it might be possible
to circumvent that.  Remeber how on the PDP-11 big programs used separate
I&D space (64 Kbytes each)?  Well, IIRC on the x86 (x>=3) you can have
multiple segments that are up to 4G each.  So you could easily have
a 4G instruction segment and a 4G data segment, without requiring
nastiness in C code like near and far pointers.

Probably not enough of a win to be worthwhile, though.  Personally, I have
yet to encounter an executable bigger than 1.5G.

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: 4 Apr 2001 23:42:07 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Joseph T. Adams" wrote:
:>
:> GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> :> The "new liberalism" relies upon the ancient sin of theft.
:>
:> : Yes!  Hillary Clinton is an excellent example of a thief.  When the
:> : liberals left the WhiteHouse and quarters they were like low-class
:> : scum... took everything including the light bulbs and the kitchen
:> : sink!   Bush Jr. had to go in there with rubber gloves and Clorox to
:> : start the cleansing process. :-))
:>
:> As much as I detest most of what is called "liberalism" today, the
:> Klintons are not liberals; they are basically lowlife Mafia-like
:> scumbags who used the misguided support of naive liberals in order to
:> achieve their own unlawful aims, and continue to do so to this day.

: Which is different from other high level liberals how, exactly?

Ideology.

The Klintons would have been even more dangerous if they'd actually
believed in what they were doing.

:> Informed liberals despise them as much for this as does any
:> conservative.

: Informed liberals despise the Klintons because they (the Klintons)
: were stupid enough to get CAUGHT....***REPEATEDLY***

For other reasons too.

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:48:24 +1200

Hence the reason I don't use it (along with the crap service), so now I use
the email service provided by mysun.sun.com, its reliable, fast and
Microsoft free.

Matthew Gardiner

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:46:18 +1200

True, true, NZ also has the same voting system as Germany, MMP, however, we
don't have an Upper House as it is pointless, considering all that use to
happen was that legislation was simply voted down because it was from the
opposition, hence, nothing ever got done.

Matthew Gardiner

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: XP = eXPerimental
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 19:47:45 -0400

"J.T. Wenting" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "2 + 2" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9ad0qd$o6q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > XP = eXPerimental
> >
> thought it meant ExPert? Experimental systems are of course usually
handled
> by experts, which might be the origin of people thinking XP means
> experimental...
>
> > It integrates the NT kernal.
> >
> Nope, the Win2K kernel, which is a complete rewrite.
>
> > But it also integrates a part of .NET.
> >
> Yah, why else create a technology if you're not going to use it?
>
> > At least in the hardware abstraction layer, they are starting with a JIT
> > compiler, instead of a pure emulated VM.
> >
> Not JIT, of course. JIT is platform dependent in that it works only for
Java
> applications, where .NET will be language independent...

And even if such technology were included it would not be in the HAL, a
claim that it is in the HAL indicates either the person doesn't know what
they are talking about or is deliberately trolling, or both.

--
Nik Simpson

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:56:23 +1200

So, say if I was a programmer, and I was working from home.  I was just
cruising through the source code of piece of software and I saw a MAJOR
error, so I think, well, I better email work to notify them of the problem.
So, I open up me hotmail inbox and email them a patch to correct the error.
Does that mean that the patch I just sent is the property of Microsoft?
that sound pretty strange.  Its a bit like posting a letter, and getting
told that the Post Office owns it once you have posted it, regardless of who
it is intended for.

------------------------------

From: "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Windows "speed"
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:58:08 +1200

> No...667 lives across the street.
>
> His neighbors have even numbers

Last I checked, a neighbour lived in your neighbourhood, not strictly next
door =)

670 - a little down the street from the Beast.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 00:39:06 +0200

        "JS PL" <jspl@jsplom> writes:
> Sounds like a good idea to put the clause into the licence agreement.
> MS definitely has good legal advice, as this clause most likely eliminates a
> ton of frivolus lawsuits. Also, for those not in the know - licence
> agreements supercede copyright laws.

You were saying ...

------------------------------

From: "Zed Mister" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 00:10:32 GMT

Well this is weird.  They just changed it.  Maybe this thread had something
to do with it?

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-5508903.html?tag=tp_pr

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 10:08:48 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Michael Vester wrote:

> > > What part of MAFIAsoft do you not understand?
> > > :-)
> > Microsoft, the repackagers of 21 year old software.  My finger is a mere
> > 10 years old, 4th Berkeley Distribution, July 27, 1991. I don't know why
> > losedos even has a vintage collection of Unix utilities?  Everyone knows
> > to replace them with share/free/whateverware.  Obviously, not the
> > "innovative" part of losedos.
> >
> > Since we already know that open source is better than losedos code, Bill
> > will simply incorporate open source into losedos and lag a few months
> > behind open source projects. Then Bill will present "new products" based
> > on incorporated open source code. The Microsoft marketing machine (far
> > more talented than their development department) will market the hell out
> > of it. They will make billions.
> > There is very little we can do about it, Bill has demonstrated that he can
> > out lawyer the United States government.
>
> Maybe..but outside US borders, I expect to see a series of humiliating
> defeats for Mafia$oft.
>

> > Seeing the losedos advocates proudly state official Microsoft doctrine
> > without any care to our future concerns me. Are they that stupid and
> > unaware of events that effect all of us? Bill is a Napoleon. He must
>
> Bad analogy.
>
> Napolean destroyed feudalism and brought the concept of civil rights
> to most of Europe (the reason Russia lags so far behind the rest of
> Europe in this regard is because the Russians defeated Napolean).
>
> In contrast, Bill is trying to build a digital dictatorship.

I stand corrected. Napolean was better for the world. Bill Gates motives
are purely selfish.

From: "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:35:30 +1200

> Professional rugby is a different matter, but the majority of rugby is
still
> played at the amateur level (truely amateur, as distinct from something
like
> athletics where the top competitors live off sponsership money).  That is
> really what makes it different from many other major sports.

Most sports have a huge amateur following.  Perhaps not in NZ so much, but
to claim Rugby is different from other sports because a lot of people play
it at the amateur level seems a bit odd.

> This means that it makes sense to support your local rugby team, because
> they *are* a local team.

I have to admit, that makes no sense to me.  Why is it sensible for me to
support a local team I couldn't give a rats buttcrack about?  'Because they
really are local'?  Hahaha =)

> Being amateurs, rugby players are "real people".  They have real lives
> outside the sport, and are a wide range of people.  I have met rugby
players
> who have trouble working out which end of a spade to hold,

OHHHH yes.

> and others who are consultent doctors.

I'd think this was a bit more rare than the confused-spade variety, but I'm
perfectly willing to believe people of all intellectual levels enjoy some
form of sport.  It's just that the game seems to me to not be particularly
suited to any kind of strategy, except perhaps 'sic these guys on those
guys, and pass the ball to the fast bastard'.

It can hardly be considered a battle of the minds.  It is a competition, but
primarily a physical one.

> They play rugby for fun - it is not fun to get
> maimed by the opposition, so players don't do that.  Sure, there are
> injuries and accidents, and the occasional angry fist, but there is
extremly
> little intentional injury.  And after the match, they all clap each other
on
> the back, shake hands, and have a big bath together.

Hehehe, a big bath...  so that's what you call it now ;)

------------------------------

From: "Joseph Ogiba" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux sets world record !!!
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 00:38:18 GMT

LNUX $320.00 to $1.59 !!! From "World Record IPO" to world record loss in
stock price (-$318.41).Can you imagine buying 10 shares for $3,200.00 and
watch it drop to $15.90 !!!

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,talk.politics.misc,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Democratic Republics (Was: Communism, etc.)
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 20:38:17 -0400

"Gunner ©" wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Apr 2001 04:02:11 GMT, d'geezer@d'geezer.net wrote:

> >>Not the mention the fact they they're trying to rob us of all our precious
> >>bodily fluids.
> >
> >And poison us with flouride, and kidnap us and transport us to a secret Galactic
> >laboratory in Genymede for obscene medical experiments. I'll tell you by
> >golly.............
> >

> >d'geezer
> >
> I suspect..several here are looking forwards to the anal probe... while
> others..consider it business as usual.

Bend Over....Here It Comes AGAIN!

> gunner
>
> --
> "Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
> clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
> so stupid it is easy work."  Steven M. Barry

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.