Linux-Advocacy Digest #365, Volume #35           Mon, 18 Jun 01 15:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: More microsoft innovation (Woofbert)
  Re: So how many applications can Windows run on the IA-64? (Brian Langenberger)
  Re: More microsoft innovation (Woofbert)
  Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Will MS get away with this one? (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Will MS get away with this one? (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: PC power switch wont shut down Windows (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: PC power switch wont shut down Windows (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: PC power switch wont shut down Windows (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance     and
ignorance...) (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance   and
ignorance...) (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux    starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (T. Max Devlin)

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More microsoft innovation
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:49:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, drsquare
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 01:05:25 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] ()) wrote:

> >> In that case, for 99% of users, there will be no tags, so there is
> >> no problem.
> >
> >As has been pointed out before detecting sarcasm isn't your strong
> >point.
>
> I was not replying to any sarcasm

Yes, you were. The "}: )" thingie is a sarcasm indicator.

--
Woofbert: Chief Rocket Surgeon, Infernosoft
email <woofbert at infernosoft dot com>

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So how many applications can Windows run on the IA-64?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:52:44 +0000 (UTC)

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<more snip>

:> I can go to a software store and find 1500 MS-Windows apps that I think
:> are pretty worthless.
:>
:> But you'll have a hard time convincing me that "less apps == better".

: You are basing your decision of "worthless" as "value to you".  My decision
: of worthless is "value to more than a few people".

What, exactly, would any particular distro gain by shipping with *less*
applications?  Isn't that a bit like a software store advertising:
"We only sell the top 20 Windows apps and pass the lack of choices on
 to you!"  Since the vast bulk of a Linux distro's apps cost the same
(0$) the packager has little to gain by shipping a "Best-Of" distro
and risk alienating a set of users who rather like LittleKnonwnApp-1.0

And besides, if it wasn't for people trying out LittleKnownApp-1.0
and liking it, it would never evolve into WellKnownApp-2.0

------------------------------

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:50:43 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 21:28:43 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> You're contradicting yourself again.
> >
> >Who, Woofbert?
>
> No, Ayende.
>
> >>First, you claim that users will
> >> be able to write their own tags,
> >
> >Woofbert didn't say that.
>
> Ayende did.
>
> >>therefore there's nothing wrong with
> >> the tags.
> >
> >Woofbert didn't say that.
>
> Ayende did.
>
> >>Next, you point out that most users can't even change the
> >> homepage.
> >
> >Wofbert suggested that most users don't change the homepage. Not can't.
> >A small distinction, but it's there.
>
> Ayende did.
>
> >>Am I missing something here?
> >
> >Yes. You're missing a lot. For instance, you're missing who said what.
> >DuuH!
>
> If you read the post properly, you would see I was replying to Ayende

If you had quoted properly, then I could have.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:02:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:23:26 -0700
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>  wrote
>> on Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:54:25 -0700
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[snip]

>> >Then was CNN correct in saying [MSFT stock] lost 2/3 of its value?
>>
>> At the moment, one might say that "MSFT lost 2/3 of its value,
>> then regained part of it back".  Mind you, stock value is somewhat
>> illusory in a sense anyway; what does it really mean?  But it
>> does appear that at two distinct points at time, which are
>> more or less specifiable, there was a ratio of 1/3, which means
>> MSFT lost 2/3 of its value as determined by stock price between
>> these particular points.
>>
>> But I don't think CNN wants to use all of that verbiage; no
>> news organization would.  So they trimmed it down a bit to
>> "mostly harmless".... :-)
>>

>> >--
>>
>> --
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- Don't panic! :-)
>> EAC code #191       1d:16h:51m actually running Linux.
>>                     This is the best part of the message.
>
>The question then is, how long will it take MS to get back to its high
>value?

It might take awhile.  Yahoo is suggesting that Microsoft's EPS
will increase from 0.42 (June 01) to 0.45 (Sep 01) on a quarterly
basis, and 1.80 (June 01) to 1.94 (June 02) on a yearly.

Note that IBM's quarterly earnings are 1.16 (Jun 01), but predicted to
go *down* a smidge: 1.14 (Sep 01).  Their yearly earnings are
predicted to go up quite a bit, though: 4.84 (Dec 01) to 5.48 (Dec 02).

However, I strongly suspect MSFT will go up nicely because of an
advertising blitz against IBM -- which is promoting Linux, BTW.
Microsoft is extremely good at marketing.  (Either that, or the
general public is rather poor at distinguishing fact from BS.)

Of course, Microsoft may not know this yet... :-)  and there is the
issue of some marketing on IBM's side -- so far, I've not
seen that much specifically targeted to Linux (apart from the infamous
black-background "peace, love, Linux" billboard -- which is almost as
cryptic as Cal Fed's Elvis campaign was, in the beginning couple of
weeks), although Linux has been mentioned; IBM is apparently focusing
on the objective, not the product.  (Which is probably what they
should be focusing on. :-)  The implication, however, is that Linux
can in fact do the job, silently and without complaint.)

So far, I've not been all that impressed by IBM's marketing, although
it's solid, dependable drivel. :-)  (Not unlike their hardware,
and Linux.) But Microsoft's marketing is IMO even less impressive.
(But people might be easily fooled by those colorful 9's.)

                    Use the source, Luke.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:05:17 GMT

Said Stephen S. Edwards II in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 17 Jun 2001
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
   [...]
>> Raving bullshit, Chad.  Microsoft have shown themselves quite
>> incompetent at dealing with any cross-platform support.  The lack of
>
>How exactly?  Just because people were not purchasing
>Alpha, PPC, or MIPS boxen to run WindowsNT because
>they were way overpriced, and not significantly any
>more powerful than modern ix86 boxen?

No; because you were compelled to imagine precisely why it was that they
did not due so, thus begging the question.

>> "strong demand" is simply a reflection of the recognition that even if
>> there were a demand, they couldn't pull it off.  Point in fact, there is
>> demand, and they don't fulfill it.  There used to be an even stronger
>
>There is a "demand" for Alpha systems?  From where exactly?

I haven't the foggiest, but if you go ask Microsoft, perhaps they can be
honest for long enough to provide an accurate answer.  They, after all,
were the ones that indicated there was a market for Alpha systems with
NT.

>The only places I see Alpha boxes employed are for applications
>such as 3D animation and visualization, and those are very
>specialized applications.  Why should Microsoft dump money
>into a platform that barely anyone uses?

As soon as they explain why they did, in fact, dump money into a
platform that barely anyone uses, I will be happy to discuss it with
you.

>> demand, which is why they tried to make NT multi-platform to begin with,
>> and even had an Alpha version.  It bombed, because it was crap.
>
>No, it bombed, because nobody was purchasing Alpha systems,
>you twit.

Nice circular logic.  Is it possible that nobody was purchasing Alpha
systems because NT Alpha bombed, you twit?

>In fact, architectures like MIPS never sold well at all outside
>of SGI's market, simply because MIPS arches have very fscking
>stupid limitations such as limiting applications to only 2GB
>of RAM, and so forth.

Quite innovative.  After all, everybody knows that nobody could possibly
need more than 2GB of RAM, eh?

Regardless, all of this is just squirming and second-guessing.  MS
desired to crack into the market you are describing, so they wrote a
version of NT for the Alpha.  It bombed, rather spectacularly.  Given
that the Alpha was a new design to begin with, and once NT support was
announced for it (probably years before it ever materialized, but here
I'm guessing) it cleared out any competition (nobody else had a Windows
monopoly to leverage), this means the Alpha died when NT-Alpha died.

>> But to this day the sock puppets claim long and loud that Windows can
>> support non-Intel platforms; a blatant lie at this point.
>
>If it was a lie, then why does WindowsNT v4.0 run on
>MIPS, PPC, and Alpha, as well as ix86?

It doesn't.  In theory, it *could*.  Declaring that this means it *does*
is a sign of your purposeful ignorance.

>The ports were
>done, but nobody was purchasing hardware for them to
>run on.

Funny, here I thought that PPCs were rather popular.  It would be even
more popular, if Microsoft could support it at all.  Guffaw.

>The fact of the matter is, Microsoft went where
>there was money to be made, which is what any
>self-respecting corporate body would do.

Sure, sure.  What do I care how clueless you are?

>To do otherwise would be incredibly stupid.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha.  Why would it be incredibly stupid to think that
Microsoft might have a bit of trouble competing, given the fact that
they have bombed terribly in any market where they did not have
sufficient market power to provide monopoly?

>Once again, proof that philosophers are anything
>but "logical".

Oh, how dreadfully boring.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Will MS get away with this one?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:05:18 GMT

Said Form@C in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 17 Jun 2001 20:55:59 GMT;
>T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>
><snip>
>> C64 myself.  When I started in business we used Macintosh.  Apple
>> brought computing to the masses; how does that make a victim out of any
>> "little guy"?
>>

>LOL! Not on this side of the pond they didn't! In the "good old days" the
>tendency was to swap the $ sign for a £ sign and then, if it was Apple, add
>a fair bit more. That made Apple machines some of the most expensive and
>least accessible items around for the "little guy".

Or, more probably, is why their microcomputers were so much more
valuable to the little guy than a PC knock-off or a Commodore.

>I wouldn't class this
>as bringing computing to the masses - that had to wait for "uncle" Clive
>several years later.

Clive?

>Apple did some really good things - don't get me wrong - but most of their
>stuff was too "leading edge" to be affordable over in the UK.

Again, this is how they brought computing to the masses.  SOMEBODY has
to start producing, before things can get real cheap due to 'economies
of scale'.  If you were a smart little guy, you understood why the Mac
was worth the price.  Perhaps you couldn't afford it, true, but all you
had to do was wait a couple years until somebody starts using the ideas
on other, cheaper systems.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:05:19 GMT

Said Peter Hayes in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 17 Jun 2001 23:27:18
>On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:36:54 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>> Which "little guy" are you referring to?  Is he a metaphoric "little
>> guy", or do you have some real "little guy" in mind.
>
>The guy I knew who bought a Quadra NuBus just before Apple ditched NuBus.

Too bad for him.  Is this the "little guy" you were referring to?

>This obsoleted his kit overnight and two years later he was out of business.

Given the caliber of his choices, it is no wonder.  NEVER buy the newest
thing in business unless you REALLY know what you are doing.  Obviously,
he didn't; NuBus was certainly something to be avoided.

>And the clone makers who had their licences withdrawn, although I've no
>personal experience of that.

Another way that Apple could have shot themselves in the foot, and
realized their mistake before it was too late.  I know that a vast
majority of those who take "popular wisdom" to heart think that Apple
choosing not to license clones and to aggressively prevent unlicensed
clones was some sort of "anti-little guy monopolization" or some such
bullshit, but that really is just naive babbling.

Apple's decision to maintain their platform as proprietary is not, in
and of itself, anti-competitive, no matter how long the anti-Mac
(pro-MS) crowd has been using it as a canard.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:05:20 GMT

Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 18 Jun 2001 02:51:06
>"Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

Chad snipped the part where Mart very correctly pointed out that Chad is
just building a straw man.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:05:21 GMT

Said Mart van de Wege in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 18 Jun 2001
   [...]
>>> It is a matter of gradation, not
>>> principle.
>>
>> Why?
>
>Because the line must be drawn somewhere? You may disagree about just
>where to draw it, but it is ridiculous to imply that sex with children
>under 16 is legal in the Netherlands. IT IS NOT! We just happen to have a
>history and jurisprudence suggesting that children can sometimes make
>informed decisions (for example in some circumstances children can enter
>into legally binding contracts from the age of 14 and up). Now in the
>case of sex, we have decided that as long as neither the parents, nor the
>legal guardians, nor the Child Protection Council nor the child itself
>complains, we'll assume that this was consenting. This is meant to cover
>situations like my example above. You can be sure if it is a matter of a
>40 year adult with a 15-year-11-month, at least one of these parties *is*
>going to complain (and rightly so IMO), and given the current climate,
>the judge will summarily send the adult to jail for the full 8 years, and
>probably try to get a psychiatric evaluation on this individual to lock
>him up for life in a state asylum.
>In fact, the Child Protection Council has already had people picked up by
>the police for questioning, sometimes even jumping the gun. A
>particularly famous case here was about a police chief, whose daughter
>was manipulated by a misguided teacher to file against her father (dang!
>I forgot his name). His (former) colleagues landed a helicopter on his
>lawn, and had our equivalent of a SWAT team storm his house and haul him
>out. That is not a slap on the wrist is it?
>Hope it is a little clearer now,

You afford more text than a response to Chad Trollboy should require,
Mart.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:05:21 GMT

Said "JS | PL" <winxp beta@ home .com> in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun,
   [...]
>With enough persistence anyone can destroy their OS. [...]

So the fact that Windows is self-destroying is a feature?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: PC power switch wont shut down Windows
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:05:23 GMT

Said Stephen S. Edwards II in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 17 Jun 2001
   [...]
>Uh, how is Windows taking over a process which is
>dictated specifically by the BIOS settings above
>all else?

I suggest you ask Microsoft if you want specifics on how their software
works.  Good luck.

>Are you suggesting that Windows 2000
>can do things that the hardware will not allow it
>to do?

You nitwit; just because there is a BIOS setting does not mean there is
no hardware support for allowing software to change it at run-time.  For
instance, whether the PIII CPU id is enabled is a BIOS setting, which
can in effect be entirely ignored, since even if it is off, this can be
over-ridden in software without changing the setting.  Ergo, Windows can
do things that "the BIOS settings will not allow" because the hardware
will in fact allow it to do that.

>That is quite amusing.

Hardly.

>> >What people dont realise is that the button on the front isn't the
>> >power button. That's typically at the back where the power cable plugs
>> >in. The power "button" just sends a signal to the board, saying - "hey
>> >- someones pressed the button? Whaddya want to do?"
>>
>> You definitely should not be giving others advice on this subject.
>
>I would say that of you.
>
>> The personal computer power switch, a single switch, on the front has
>> always been hard wired to the power supply until recent AGP
>> mainboards.  How anyone would not know that much is amazing.
>
>How anyone would not know that such motherboards
>are called "ATX" motherboards, and not "AGP
>mainboards" is amazing.

What has that to do with the power switch?  Are you squirming, or just
tap-dancing?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:05:22 GMT

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 18 Jun 2001 02:32:31
>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 11:42:42 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ("JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>>
>> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>well?

>> >If they're as broke as drsquare
>>
>> Or they don't have £500+ lying around to spend on something for no
>> real gain.
>
>You can't afford 100$ ?

OPM

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:05:24 GMT

Said Greg Cox in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:33:29 GMT;
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> But that really
>> does not matter anyway since Windows could unconditionally send a shut
>> down signal to the mainboard.  Instead, Windows polls itself to see if
>> shutting down is OK.  Bad idea.  I am the one who tells my computer
>> what to do.  If I wanted to mess with Windows logic, I would use the
>> Start - Shut Down path.
>>
>Yea, it's really stupid of Windows to take the time to notify all running
>programs that the user wants to shut down so they have the ability to
>clean themselves up and close down gracefully before power is removed.
>WHAT could Microsoft possibly have been thinking of?

That was already available in the standard Start menu-Shutdown command.
If MS could make that one work reliably, we wouldn't ever need the reset
switch or the "softswitch".  What *could* Microsoft possibly have been
thinking of, in failing to reliably work with ANY of these mechanisms?

>That's the reason that the Start - Shutdown command exists.  Any
>intelligent user uses it to shutdown their computer.

Intelligent users use 'shutdown'; exceptionally brilliant ones use
'halt'.  Lucky ones use the Start - Shutdown command, unlucky ones use
the reset switch, and frustrated ones have to pull the plug when
monopoly crapware screws BOTH of them up.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:05:25 GMT

Said Stephen S. Edwards II in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 17 Jun 2001
   [...]
>> Windows slimey tenticles to my power supply.  I can't wait to find out
>> what "PCHealth" is going to do to my other hard disk partitions.
>
>*sigh*
>
>I find it quite amazing that we live in an age where
>people actually complain about convenience.  Go fig.

If find it quite amazing that you are so ignorant or stupid that you
believe people shouldn't complain when they are inconvenienced.  I would
also find it surprising if, should you prattle on about how convenient a
feature is WHEN IT DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK in the real world, someone
doesn't eventually punch you in the head, as you deserve.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: OT:  Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance     and
ignorance...)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:05:26 GMT

Said Thaddius Maximus in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 18 Jun 2001
   [...]
>The US is a "represenative democracy" only to those who like
>feelgood buzzwords.

Pathetic.  Think harder.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:05:27 GMT

Said Thaddius Maximus in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 18 Jun 2001
   [...]
>Naw, you see only what you want to see.  Thomas Jefferson help establish
>a Republican form of government.

...in a democratic society.  Thus, a "democratic republic".

>You should seriously give this a full read:
>http://www.chrononhotonthologos.com/lawnotes/repvsdem.htm

Any government founded on the theory that all [persons] are created
equal, and every citizen has a vote, is by definition a democracy,
regardless of how much epistemological quibbling may occur on the
subject.

Now get a real identity, dufus.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux    starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:05:28 GMT

Said Tuomo Takkula in alt.destroy.microsoft on 18 Jun 2001 17:57:07
   [...]
>Seriously, if you step back and and consider the States just from the
>news and how they treat their own population and other people, then
>they are at times in an equivalence class with the worst war zone of
>the planet or some corrupt dictatorship. [...]

Seriously, you should rely less on other people's opinions and urban
legends and myths, if you seriously want to criticize the USA.  All this
kind of babbling can result in is dismissal of your obviously jaundiced
opinion and patriotic defense of the ideals of liberty.