From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:22:56 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:11:58 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Chad Everett wrote:

> >> Oh please give us a break!  What is more elegant and efficient?  This?:
> >>
> >> int myadd( int i, int j)
> >> {
> >>         return i+j;
> >> }
> >>
> >> or this?:
> >>
> >> myadd:
> >>         save    %sp,-104,%sp
> >>         st      %i1,[%fp+72]
> >>         st      %i0,[%fp+68]
> >>
> >> .L14:
> >>
> >>         ld      [%fp+68],%o1
> >>         ld      [%fp+72],%o0
> >>         add     %o1,%o0,%i0
> >>         jmp     %i7+8
> >>         restore
> >>
> >> .L13:
> >>         jmp     %i7+8
> >>         restore
> >>         .size   myadd,(.-myadd)
> >>         .align  8
> >

> >Clue for the clueless:  The assembly language code was produced
> >by a compiler.
> >
> >The equivalent hand-written assembly code would be 3-4 lines long.
> >

> L14: Clue for the clueless: I was expecting that from you so here ya go:
>
>                        .global myadd
>                        myadd:
>                 retl
>                 add     %o0,%o1,%o0
>
> Do you REALLY think that's more elegant and efficient than?:
>
> int myadd( int i, int j)
> {
>         return i+j;
> }
>
> If your answer is yes, see L14:

using a full-blown function call for an integer addition
makes for a completely useless example.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:26:01 -0400

WesTralia wrote:

> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> >
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, WesTralia
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >  wrote
> > on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:12:23 -0500
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > >[...]
> > >>

> > >I think I am going to be sick!
> >
> > Eh?  Please explain.  Unless it's related to some personal vendetta
> > between you and Aaron, in which case don't bother. :-)
> >

> Well, it's like this, I am going to be sick in Aaron's case in the same
> sense that I would become sick if I saw Barbara Striesand (Babs) preaching
> foreign policy and energy conservation.
>
> For a Wintendo98 DosLuser, Aaron and microcoding seem like strange bedfellows.
> Translation: BS!

Actually, I microcoded the PDP-11 instruction set, after writing
a microcode simulator for a proposed CPU architecture.

And yes,....it ran PDP-11 object code flawlessly.

> OUTED!  LOL!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:30:07 -0400

Gamma wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>   Aaron> Which means that as soon as your on a new machine, your stuck
> >>   Aaron> editing WITHOUT your config file....
> >>
> >>   Aaron> UGH.
> >>
> >>         This is why God invented NFS mounted home spaces.
> >>
> >>        Phil
> >
> >And if your behind a corporate firewall which doesn't permit
> >NFS connections through it....
>
> That's why God invented 3.5" floppies.
>
> And if you're behind a corporate firewall WITH security restrictions
> that prohibit bringing in software from the Internet...
>
> That's why God invented other jobs.  :-)

When you're a consultant, and you're on a customer sight for just
a short period of time...let's see...first you gotta bring
emacs with you, in case they don't have it, AND have your
.emacrc...

Oh, and make sure you remove it before you leave, because if the
people in charge of the site wanted emacs on the system, it would
already be there.

Bleah.

It's just simpler to use VI and be done with it.

> [You have a rilly long sig, Aaron...]
> [snip]
>
> --
>
> Paul Brinkley
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 10 Apr 2001 22:25:59 -0500

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:22:56 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Chad Everett wrote:

>> >Clue for the clueless:  The assembly language code was produced
>> >by a compiler.
>> >
>> >The equivalent hand-written assembly code would be 3-4 lines long.
>> >

>> L14: Clue for the clueless: I was expecting that from you so here ya go:
>>
>>                        .global myadd
>>                        myadd:
>>                 retl
>>                 add     %o0,%o1,%o0
>>
>> Do you REALLY think that's more elegant and efficient than?:
>>
>> int myadd( int i, int j)
>> {
>>         return i+j;
>> }
>>
>> If your answer is yes, see L14:
>
>using a full-blown function call for an integer addition
>makes for a completely useless example.

Yeah, it doesn't make that elegance and efficiency look so closely
tied at that level, when you have a chance to actually look at it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 10 Apr 2001 22:29:39 -0500

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:26:01 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>WesTralia wrote:
>>
>> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>> >
>> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, WesTralia
>> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> >  wrote
>> > on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:12:23 -0500

>> > Eh?  Please explain.  Unless it's related to some personal vendetta
>> > between you and Aaron, in which case don't bother. :-)
>> >

>> Well, it's like this, I am going to be sick in Aaron's case in the same
>> sense that I would become sick if I saw Barbara Striesand (Babs) preaching
>> foreign policy and energy conservation.
>>
>> For a Wintendo98 DosLuser, Aaron and microcoding seem like strange bedfellows.
>> Translation: BS!
>
>Actually, I microcoded the PDP-11 instruction set, after writing
>a microcode simulator for a proposed CPU architecture.
>
>And yes,....it ran PDP-11 object code flawlessly.

Have you written any code in the last ten years?  How about the last five
years?  What about this year?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:37:29 -0400

Kenny Chaffin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> > I miss those old ADM terminals.
> >
> > Of course, I also miss the teletypes.
> >
> > Both have their strengths.
> >

> > > [rest snipped]
> > >
> > > --
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- that's just so 80's
> > > EAC code #191       4d:06h:36m actually running Linux.
> > >                     The Usenet channel.  All messages, all the time.
> >

> But did you build your's from a kit?

never did that.

> KAC
> --
> Kenny A. Chaffin
> KAC Website Design - http://www.kacweb.com
> Custom/Contract Programming, Graphics, Design
> Poetry Page: http://www.kacweb.com/poems/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:46:30 GMT

Martin Eden wrote:

> (And I have to admit, he is
> entertaining).

Wow... you hit the nail right on the head. I took Kulkis off of killfile
to get a few cheap laughs. He's almost as funny as Derek Smart.

--
- Brent

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS and ISP's
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:43:57 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:42:54 -0400, JS PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > MS holds no "right" to be on all computers, but my power company holds the
> > > "right" to be my sole supplier of electricity. That is a true monopoly.
> >
> > [snip lots]
> >
> > You could have just said that you do not believe that there are any
> > monopolies except government-granted ones and saved us all the silly
> > analogies.
> >
> > BTW, you do not have to buy power from your power company.  You could
> > put solar cells on your roof, put up a windmill, or install a generator.
> > You still have options, so what's your beef?  Or are you going to whine
> > that it might be more difficult or cost more?
> >

> > > Also the barrier to entry for new grocery stores (like operating
> > > systems) is extremely low.
> >
> > How can you say that with a straight face?  IBM spent billions on OS/2,
> > MS spends billions on Windows, and Linux would have cost billions had
> > it not been done by volunteers.
>
> You just made his point. The point is, it _WAS_ done by volunteers
> and has achieved significant market share. The DOJ has no case anymore.
> Someone was able to, from scratch practically, write an OS that has
> seen corporate adoption and is now competing with Microsoft in at least
> one market, if not several. The barrier to entry in the OS market is
> relatively low compared to others (Auto industry to beat a dead horse).
> If some kid or a group of part-time hackers can whip together an OS
> in a couple years, then people who say MS has no competitors are lying.
>
> It's just that, historically, none of these companies had the right
> management or competency to build a project of this magnitude. This,
> among other things is why developers took matters into their own
> hands and made Linux in the first place. (yes, I know that's not the
> primary reason...).
>
> The only thing Microsoft has a monopoly on, it seems, is the brain
> power, the succesful management, and the competency to create a world-class
> OS in a corporate environment WHILE making money at the same time.

Considering that Mafia$oft has NEVER created even an adequate
OS, let alone a "world-class" one, the premise of your statement
is false.

> -c

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: another example of why Linux is brain dead.
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:45:51 -0400

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > You mean *now*, right?  Windows "media player"  (boy, they have some
> > > brilliant names: Word, SQL Server, Management Console, etc.) already
> > > has code in it that does this.
> >
> > It's a specific Mafia$oft marketing tactic...use the most generic
> > term possible as the PRODUCT NAME.
>
> Actually, I think it reduces consumer confusion about the product.  Ask
> anyone on the street what Tivoli is, then ask them what a "Management
> Console" is.  They probably won't know either, but they can make a guess at
> the second.

No...it's a specific technique so that whenever someone uses the generic
term for some kind of software, the Pointy-Haired Bosses will *THINK*
that the person is referring to the Mafia$oft shitware sold under that name.

I'm thinking of trademarking the term "Operating System", and charging
Mafia$oft with infringement every time they use it.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:48:02 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 01:49:44 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Donn Miller wrote:

> >> I don't understand it anyways.  How does changing your headers to make
> >> it look like you're running Windows 98 provide more security?  If
> >
> >Ask the army why they camoflauge their tanks, and get back to me.
> >

> False analogy.  Of course, the answer you want is:  so their tanks
> will hopefully blend into the background.  The Army does NOT camoflauge
> their tanks and then drive them around in public all day and night long
> shooting off hundreds of rounds and they try and tell people that they
> camoflauge their tanks so as to remain low key.

You're saying that just before going into combat, the crew gets
out and paints the tank bright orange?

> Donn is correct in being confused.  There is absolutely no reason for
> modifying your header with a phoney X-mailer line.  An anonyomous e-mail
> address, sure.  It would make much more sense to use an alias as a name.
> Your continued insistence that you modify your X-Mailer line as some sort
> of security measure just makes you look really stupid, because it doesn't
> provide any sort of security at all.

I don't care if people know my name...it's the name of the OS, and
the software that I'm using that I want obscured.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:38:35 GMT

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 01:37:58 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >"David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:9arpf3$l7p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >It _IS_ a limitation in Linux, because few other OSes have
> >this problem on 32-bit architectures.
> >

> It is _NOT_ a limitation in Linux.  The linux 2.4.x kernel handles files

Because it _WAS_ a limitation, they merely fixed it, FINALLY. NT could
support >2GB files years ago.

-c