Linux-Advocacy Digest #29, Volume #35             Thu, 7 Jun 01 14:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (jim dutton)
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft ("Bill Todd")
  Re: I propose a GPL change... (Dave Martel)
  Software makers more distrusted than used-car dealers (Dave Martel)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (The Ghost In The
Machine)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux (Fred K Ollinger)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux (Fred K Ollinger)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the     dust! ("JS
\\ PL")
  Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again) (drsquare)
  Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again) (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (drsquare)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jim dutton)
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: 7 Jun 2001 17:17:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote
>on Thu, 17 May 2001 18:21:23 -0400
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>Ray Fischer wrote:

>>> And where do you suppose the men gets AIDS?
>>>
>>> From women.
>>
>>Bzzzzzzzt! Wrong.
>>There is no transport mechanism for any such infection to happen.
>>

>>Try again, idiot.
>
>Women don't get wet when they get excited?
>
>My understanding is that even rape victims can get wet, although
>I can't say they'd enjoy it (yuck!).  But a woman who's getting
>seduced by a man to the point where she soaks through her panties --
>wow.
>
>Now, unless I'm mistaken, there's one's vehicle.  Granted, I'm not
>sure what the source of the secretions are, though, and whether
>it can be infected.

 The medical terminology is "Dr Dutton acceptance batter".

 -Jeem, HTH

http://www.ejeem.com                               Autococker2000/Dye SS
 Steatopygias's 'R' Us.          doh#0000000005 That ain't no Hottentot.
 Sesquipedalian's 'R' Us. ZX-10. DoD#564. tbtw#6. s.s.m#8. There ain't no more
 If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is,
"God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell
him is, "Probably because of something you did." - Jack Handey

From: "Bill Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:29:05 -0400

"Paul Repacholi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Dean Kent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > WARNING - shameless plugs follow!!!
>
> > Bill Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9fh843$7qm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > "cjt & trefoil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > I've used both XCOPY and Partition Magic to replicate a (bootable)
> > > partition onto a new disk on the *same* machine: it's easy with
> > > the former, and completely painless with the latter.
>
> The fact that you need to turn to 3rd party tools proves that windows
> is at best incomplete, or totally broken. Even with them, the Registry
> will get you in many cases.

Unlike, e.g., Linux, where *all* tools are third-party...

Of course, XCOPY ships with Windows (it's a DOS utility), but I wouldn't
expect you to know that.

> > I think you might want to reconsider the XCOPY method - see here for
> > a starter, and follow the links for more details:
> > http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT121498000000
>
> A good article, but I thought it totaly missed the sad detail that
> none of it should be needed. The fact that you felt you needed to
> write it, and rescue the luser shows how short of the mark windows
> is.
>
> I can restore a standalone machine in one operation, reliably and
> painlessly. This has been the case for decades, and there is now
> now excuse for any system to be that way.

And indeed it's true for Windows as well:  image-copy the boot partition to
a CD-R, then image-copy it back if you ever need it.  The discussion above
had nothing to do with restoring an existing configuration to the same
machine, but with migrating all user context (including installed
applications) to a different machine.

I'll admit that some systems do a much better job of segregating such
information from the machine-specific aspects of an installation, but by
definition whenever applications tie into those machine-specific aspects -
or the new system is not 100% upward-compatible in handling, rather than
assuming installation-time upgrading of, obsolete system-controlled areas,
such as email - things can't be completely transparent, and damn few systems
include transparent run-time support for *all* arbitrarily-old (and
long-since-replaced) formats/features.

- bill

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I propose a GPL change...
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:27:49 -0600

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:02:24 +0100, "Donal K. Fellows"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Dave Martel wrote:
>> Since Microsoft so despises the GPL, I propose that the GPL be changed
>> to prevent the use of GPL'd software on any Microsoft OS!  ;o)
>
>You have, of course, missed the point of free software entirely.

I'm just getting tired of seeing threads where some lintroll says
"yeah, but Windows doesn't have a decent free XYZ application" and a
wintroll responds "Yes we do, it's ported from linux!"

Gates whines about GPL as a virus but what's this one-way deal with
Windows apps? Windows users can run linux apps native (compiling them
with the ported gcc) but linux users can't run Windows apps native.
(Well, except for the ones that work under WINE, and from what I hear
that rules out a lot of apps)

Now I ask you, is that fair?

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Software makers more distrusted than used-car dealers
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:28:02 -0600

Most of the article is boring but I found the following paragraph
interesting:

  <http://www.msnbc.com/news/583746.asp?0dm=C12LT&cp1=1>

  How bad is it? Minasi says that software
  makers now have replaced used-car dealers
  in the rankings of the most distrusted
  industries, according to the Better Business
  Bureau.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 17:38:45 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 16 May 2001 19:51:25 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Edward Rosten wrote:
>>
>> > <>NO I'M BLOODY NOT!!!!!!!
>> > <>
>> > <>I'm simply illustrating a non genetic thing that people have no choice
>> > <>over. I cn't think of any others to hand since I'm not an expert on
>> > <>medical matters. This is simply one I know about.
>> > <>
>> >
>> > And where is your evidence that people have no choice over their
>> > homosexual behavior?
>>
>> Homosexual people often claim that. For instance Chronos Tachyon claims
>> that he had no choice what so ever. I expect there are varying degrees of
>> choice avaliable depending on the person. Also, using myself as an
>
>So, you admit that it's a defect.

What governmental policies would be required to deal with this "defect"?

>> example: I'm hetrosexual and have *no* choice in the matter.

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random question here
                    Life's getting too complicated, even listening to the radio.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: 7 Jun 2001 17:55:17 GMT

: > ...not.  This is exactly the kind of vitriol I try to stay out of, but the
: > notion that patriotism is somehow pointless or wrong is repugnant.

What people have done in the name of patriotism is repungent to me.

: > Patriotism (in the best sense) is nothing more than a sense of community
: > and common purpose.  Cynics like those who posted above are generally
: > malcontents who don't vote (if they live somewhere where people elect their
: > leaders) but bitch all the time about how society is going to hell.

I vote, but my candidate wasn't allowed to enter the debate as a spectator.
Now you can wrap yourself in the flag, but I'd rather have real democracy
like Bush promised instead of all this flag waving.  I'd also like to have
my money back. He's not taking a salary, right, b/c it's our money, he said
so on tv. :)

: > When I call myself an American, it's not just because this is where I was
: > born.  I am fully capable of moving someplace else if it's just a matter of
: > "one place is pretty much like the next".  However, I happen to believe
: > that being an American is more than that -- it's about a set of beliefs,
: > ideals, ethics, and experiences that are unlike anywhere else in the world.
: > And just about any *other* culture/nationality can make the same claim.

I'd like to see some more implementations of those ideals and less talk about
them.

: Well put!  I've lived in Panama for a while... place was lacking
: amenities and was just too hot and humid for me.  I also couldn't stand
: to see the living conditions those poor people are living in.  When I
: got back home finally, I could clearly see what this country really
: represented and something one doesn't see until after they've lived
: somewhere else.

 Next time you move back, trying moving to some place like N. Philly.

Fred

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:01:47 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 16 May 2001 19:51:25 -0400
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >> Homosexual people often claim that. For instance Chronos Tachyon claims
> >> that he had no choice what so ever. I expect there are varying degrees of
> >> choice avaliable depending on the person. Also, using myself as an
> >
> >So, you admit that it's a defect.
>
> What governmental policies would be required to deal with this "defect"?

it's not the defect itself that is the problem, it's the BEHAVIOR

BEHAVIOR
BEHAVIOR
BEHAVIOR.

Is any of this getting through to you?

> >> example: I'm hetrosexual and have *no* choice in the matter.
> >

> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random question here
> EAC code #191       38d:02h:43m actually running Linux.
>                     Life's getting too complicated, even listening to the radio.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Date: 7 Jun 2001 18:02:57 GMT

: That's just the kind of naive exuberance that I find embarrassing as an
: American. Being an American means *none* of that, dude. America is a
: nation of individuals, I think that a handful can sit down and
: appreciate all that that has been given them and the 200+ years of
: history, but in this day and age most are probably more concerned with
: their SUV's looking shiny and new, and bitching about stock options and
: other worthless bullshit. Being an American means jack-squat. You are

Actually most of us can't afford SUV's.  We're too busy washing other's
autos.

: anything to be proud of... as a whole. Yes it did step into WWII and
: WWI, which is good, but in the last 30 years it has been intervening and

I think our exploits there have been over rated.  If we stopped supplying
computers to Germans at start of war, well after we knew what they were
going to use them for then thousands of Jews could have escaped.
IBM and Kodak made money from Germans the whole war.

When we stepped in, the Russians had it won, anyway. We wanted to sit at
winners table.

If we had let China had a democracy instead of funding a homocidal dictator
who kissed our ass then maybe Japan wouldn't have even bombed Pearl Harbor.

And our tax money could go to our people instead of policing the world
in the name of 'defense' when this is thousands of miles away from our
borders. We're basically doing our business' dirty work for them, as they
are our #1 welfare recipients.  They are only in other countries to ship
our jobs out, complaining that they can't make enough money while our CEOs
get more than any other country.

: Multinational Corporations. This is in addition to some of the wonderful
: things it has done internationally, like give food and aid to some
: impoverished nations. But it needs to do more for me to feel any kind of
: pride.

Or loan 'forgiveness' after they paid back everything plus interest, but are
still in debt b/c fees are too high.  Then we lend to them again. How nice.

: You want me to be proud to be an American? Give me a nation that does
: more good than bad.

I want to make America a better place. By voting and volunteering.

: And if you are a non-American, don't take this opportunity to bash
: America without looking at some of the shortcomings of your own nation
: either. Nothing is more pathetic than some non-American bashing America
: because they can't deal with the diminished stature of their own
: country. You know what I'm talking about. Patriotism stinks in all
: countries.

I agree.

: Now this is where you call me a commie-liberal-pinko and I start fearing
: for my life. Well check out my posts in comp.sys.ibm.games.strategic,

When one starts name calling, that means that they don't believe the strength
of their own arguments and have to use verbal violence.  That means you
have won their heart all ready, their mind can't give it up.

Fred

------------------------------

From: "JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the     dust!
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:03:07 -0400

> Said JS \ PL in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:55:21 -0400;
>    [...]
> >> They DO have a monopoly, by definition. They can control pricing.
> >
> >Who's pricing are they controlling?
>
> "Market" pricing.  "Competitive" pricing.  Retail pricing.

WHO'S  pricing. Name a company who's product price is controlled by
Microsoft.
Microsoft doesn't even control the retail price of their own product! Let
alone anyone elses.  This hardly fits the pricing control needed to show
evidence of a monopoly.

> Perhaps people outside the US are not aware of an important point of
> anti-trust conformance that has been mandatory in this country for many
> decades.  The "manufacturer's suggested retail price" is not called that
> because it sounds cool; it is a legal requirement.

More Max Fantasy?? There's no legal requirement to provide a MSRP on
software.

>Manufacturers, you
> see, are NOT allowed to dictate to retailers what the price of the
> product must be.

> You would find it very hard, JSPL, if you were capable of objectively
> looking at all, absolute concrete and 100% compelling PROOF (rather than
> mere evidence, which is available in almost unlimited quantity when it
> comes to MS) that Microsoft ever *dictated* specifically what the retail
> price of a product is.  But others more capable could do so; if the
> conviction on the market share alone, particularly given the internal
> documentation of the intent to monopolize, were not so much of a
> slam-dunk, this is a potential direction for further indictments, I
> think.
>
> >Seems to me like operating system prices
> >are running the whole spectrum of prices. From free to tens of thousands
of
> >dollars.Which companies prices are being controlled by Microsoft?
>
> All of the ones which produce operating systems which are Windows.
> Dell, IBM, Compaq, Gateway; those guys. You know, the *original
> equipment manufacturers*.  The price of the OS to *their* customers is
> controlled by the *component producer*.  And, unsurprisingly, these OEMs
> have no alternative source for the monopoly product.

There isn't an alternative operating system source for OEM's to turn?
Haven't you been following the links that I post?

http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Software/Operating_Systems/
There's always been 100 different operating systems for OEM's to pre-load.
The only problem is, the ones preloading UNIX aren't really what you'd call
"catching on" with the masses. You know, the 96% who don't care what the OS
is as long as they can click an icon to make something happen. Microsoft
merely saw market demand and met it. No one else did. MS should be applauded
for providing so many consumers with exactly what they want.

Thank you Microsoft.

tee hee

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:33 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:06:10 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:51:59 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>>Why would you want a token ring card in the first place?
>
>It was for a friend of mine, his office uses TokenRing,

May I ask why?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:35 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:10:55 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:44:11 +0000, "Gary Hallock"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>  The point is that Linux should not  have to tailor its
>>install files to some ancient version of notepad.  The point is that this
>>is a Windows problem, not a Liniux problem.
>
>So Linux is trying to convert Windows users but yet can't even put the
>relevant Readme and doc files in formats that can be read by a user
>who is more than likely running Windows and attempting to learn Linux.

I doubt they'd be reading linux text files through windows. More
likely would be that they would have some html or pdf files, which
windows can't cock up.

>No wonder Linux CD's get thrown in the trash before they even have a
>chance.

And no wonder many of your posts get thrown straight into the killfile

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:37 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 08:31:12 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>>Not out of the box. But that's understandable since it would require
>>>MS to write lots of extra documentation. However you can install all
>>>of the basic shells from a number of sources, both comercial and
>>>freeware.
>>
>>Why would MS need to write the documentation? With linux, when you
>>install something, its man pages are automatically added. Won't the
>>same thing happen on windows?
>
>So your saying that on Linux the docs just magically appear? or does
>someone have to write them? Why wouldn't MS have to write docs for a
>new shell? Are you saying that all the curent docs that explain how to
>use the WinNT/DOS/Win9x shell wouldn't have to be updated?

What the hell are you talking about? We're not talking about a "new"
shell. He mentioned above things like ksh, csh, etc, no-one's on about
MS writing "new" shells.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:39 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 08:32:18 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:04 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>>>What's the point of man pages?
>>
>>To find out things about things?
>
>admin@Trillian ~> man things
>No manual entry for things.
>
>Seems to not work.

You must not have things installed then.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:41 +0100

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:35:37 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >This also teach you to some of the basics in C, as well.
>>
>> I don't see how you're supposed to search for something like what you
>> typed. I doubt typing "i[intArray]" into google would yield too many
>> results.
>

>No, but reading ANSI C, or K&R C, or searching about how C handling [] will
>give you the answer.

That would take weeks.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:42 +0100

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:36:00 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Shortcut, run menu, CLI, etc.
>>
>> Run menu, CLI? I thought we were talking about how to do it on a GUI?
>
>Yes? And your point *is*?

The poster I was replying to was mentioned how they would be done at a
command line.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:44 +0100

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:38:02 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Not out of the box. But that's understandable since it would require
>> >MS to write lots of extra documentation. However you can install all
>> >of the basic shells from a number of sources, both comercial and
>> >freeware.
>>
>> Why would MS need to write the documentation? With linux, when you
>> install something, its man pages are automatically added. Won't the
>> same thing happen on windows?
>
>But someone *still* has to write this documentation, you know.
>And you need to *support* them.

As far as I'm aware, documentation for said shells has already been
written.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:46 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:26:58 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Mafoo wrote:

>> Yeah, that's all very well, but it is considered polite to have a
>> reasonably short sig, ie one which is not over a page long.
>
>Annoys the fuck out of you, doesn't it.

It "annoys the fuck" out of quite a few people, but they all have you
killfiled.

>> Please shorten it, or the penguins will get you.
>
>Make me.

If I wanted I could killfile you in a second, but it's fun watching
you try to cover up your obvoius homosexuality.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 18:06:34 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Fri, 01 Jun 2001 16:01:40 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>drsquare wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 31 May 2001 19:37:41 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >However, even though gays are a VERY small minority of the population,
>> >you find Hepatitis contaminated food correlates VERY well with
>> >the level of male heterosexual activity in the community.
>>
>> Will I? How am I going to find this?
>

>US Centers for Disease Control has the epidemiology of Hepatits
>very well documented.

But we apparently can't trust this government agency to report transmission
methods of AIDS properly.

Peculiar.

[rest snipped]

                    The US gov't spends about $54,000/second.  I wish I could.