From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux penetration MUCH lower than previously claimed
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 18:10:14 +1200

Jon Johansan wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>>>of -

>>>Then ask; what percentage of income do they derive in return for these
>>>resource expenditures...
>>>

>>HP, $100million last year, in linux based servers sold.  They hope to
>>get it up to $150-$200million by the end of this year.
>>

> Can you document this in any way?

cnet interview a month or so ago, interviewing a HP manager, it was in
regards to the itanium chip, Linux and whether it (Linux) is a threat to
HP-UX and where it fits into the HP product line up.

Matthew gardiner

------------------------------

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: PC power switch wont shut down Windows
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:05:38 +1000

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> LShaping wrote:
> >
> > GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

message

The
What

> > >My IBM has a nice red rocker switch on the back.
> >
> > Provide a citation, a link to specifications of the power supply,
> > since your opinion is meaningless.
> > Microsoft slapped IBM so hard for wanting to include Smart Suite with
> > IBM desktop PCs, IBM has stopped making PCs.  Enlight and Antec power
> > supplies have no such switch because, of course, before ATX mainboards
> > came along the power switch on the front was wired directly to the
> > power supply.  Now, think for a minute.  You cannot put two hardware
> > switches together without extra circuitry.  Besides costing the maker
> > more, having two hardware switches wired to the same power supply
> > makes no sense.
>
> Seems like only the brain dead can spew this crap... look dipshit... IBM
> is international and they make equipment to meet the needs or
> standardizations of various countries... to wit the nice red-rocker
> switch on the back of my IBM pc.
> If you had a clue about electronics you'd realize that if I put a switch
> in series with the main power line before the power supply I can cut off
> all power to the computer regardless of what the software is doing.

and void the warenty :)
don't do it unless your a electrician ( qualified)
else you may be up for criminal charges
all because you don't like what the soft button does on your
computer.

2 switches on a computer could be confising.

do both need to be on?
or do you have that wierd effect of both can turn it on or off
due to wiring ?

(using standard light switches)

> I also have smart suite. No problems there and have never heard of such
> a thing.
> IBM is still making pcs.  Go to their website and look at the A20 to A60
> series.
> Besides the switch is pretty cheap... more like less than a buck if its
> made in mexico.

does it meet other countries standards though?
and a buck can decide things when making a 1000 pc's
swicth = $1
extra wiring = 10c
electricity and extra fitting 50 c ? I don't know depends.
extra time to do fitting 20 c ?

for each computer and people probably won't want to pay more so they have an
extra switch.

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsft IE6 smart tags
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:19:22 +1000

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JS | PL wrote:
> >
> > "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > and

> > and

> > mode.
> > >
> > > But the issue here is the upcoming XP.  Could one do this on XP as
well?

> > With enough persistence anyone can destroy their OS. I can quite easily
> > destroy an OS with something as simple as a boot disk. That said:
> > Windows XP has he tendency to let you delete some system files but
replaces
> > them immediately wth an exact copy. In my test it did this with
regedit.exe
> > systray.exe, and telnet.exe. It goes through the motions of deleting or
> > renaming but leaves a working copy behind. I'm sure there is a switch
which
> > alows permanent deletion. It won't let you delete system folders at all
> > (WINNT, Fonts, etc...) but will let some files inside be deleted.
> > Any file can be specifically set to disallow deletion though.
>
> That is a rather odd behaviour for an operating system to exihibit.  If
> one tries to delete a system file it should say "Permission denied"
> rather than letting you think you deleted it.

It's designed to stop rouge installers over writing things.
if it disallows it the install might fail even though the program would
still
work.

the what if is a virus gets in to the backup copies of the files and changes
them.
how do you restore?

ok I don't really care because I'm sure theres a easy way :)

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 07:26:12 GMT

"Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:lYaX6.85755$[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> "Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dan
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [snip]
>> I don't see it your way ... but you don't want me, a web site designer,
>> the luxury of *not* having my web pages defaced by additional
>> hyperlinks.
>>
>> Why do you have special privileges?
>
> It's a question of property rights. He owns
> the computer; he can say what it displays.

Do you mean to say I can change anything I want?

Kewl!

> Lbh pna, orpnhfr bs vagryyrpghny cebcregl

hmm, rot13 doesn't look too fun. I think I'll try something else

> rights, forbid him from obtaining a copy
> while walking through a dark forest
> of your web pages- though as a technical
> jolly green giant lolipop
> matter that's hard to enforce.
>
> But if you do permit him to view the page,
> while wearing a small tutu,
> you do not thereby gain any rights over his
> timex-sinclair 1000
> computer.

Well, you sound rather silly now. It's a good thing that I didn't change any
of your content, I only added to it.

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:56:50 +1200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 07:48:13 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >Joe
> >>
> >> It's very convenient. Much more convenient than loaded up a GUI, esp.
> >> for simple things like file manipulation or running services.
> >
> >Lots of people use Excel for creating and manipulating text lists, are
you
> >suggesting that because gawk, sed & grep are more powerful tools for
> >processing text lists we should remove Excel and give them those tools
> >instead.
>
> When have I ever suggested that?

It's a logical conclusion to reach from your previous statements

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Win/userbase!
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:06:11 +1200

"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9gje3a$96qep$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > WHy would someone send you an exe? any files sent, that are exe or vbs,
> > I instantly delete.
> >

> There is no legitmate reason for sending a VBS file

Next time you look at a Windows 2000 box look at all the VBS Scripts in
C:\inetpub\scripts.  They are admin scripts for IIS, and sending similar
scripts could be quite legitimate.

------------------------------

From: Thaddius Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance...
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 08:41:45 +0100

"Dr S.J. Cornell" wrote:

> Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > > Think again.  The US foreign aid _per capita_ is much smaller than
> > > that of Britain, which is already small by comparison with the rest of
> > > europe.  This means that you (individually) are contributing fewer
> > > dollars to saving the starving millions that I am, even though you
> > > have more dollars to spend.  Are you proud of that fact?
> >
> > No, it's just that the US GDP is so unimaginably big that we could never
> > afford to send that kind of money. I'm sure other countries that have
> > lower average per capita amounts send far more money than Englands.
>
> So, the US is so rich that it can't *afford* to spend as much?
>
> Let me get this right.  John Bull, who earns $20000, can afford to
> send $50 in international aid.  However, GI Joe, who earns $30000,
> could not possibly afford to send as large a fraction of his income,
> so sends $30 instead.

Neither John Bull nor GI Joe send foreign aid directly.  In fact,
the have no choice in the matter one way or the other.  John Bull
sends more money than GI Joe because John Bull's government takes
a bigger chunk of Mr Bull's paycheck each month than does GI Joe's
government and does with it at it pleases.

From: Sandman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More microsoft innovation
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:10:40 +0200

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Surely you see the difference in a browser implementation where you
> > build in the function of setting colors and fonts and changing the
> > content. Netscape has this "What's related", it's basicvally the same
> > thing as NS is pulling, but it's -awa- from the webpage. Changing
> > colors and fonts are for some a neccesity in order to read your page.
> > Autodetecting words and linking them to MS sites falls into the "bad
> > sport" arena, and they should have made a different implementation of
> > that idea.
>
> I think you still don't understand what the Smart Tags do.

Actually, your reply indicates that I have understood exactly what Smart
Tags do.

> The "content" of a page is not changed.   And it's not just "MS sites" -
> you can go directly to the home page of the company in question.  The
> other info - "Company News", "Company Report", "Stock Quote" does take
> you to related news on MSN, but so what?

So the "it's not just 'MS sites'" comment you made only apply to one of
those links? How many of the links are to MS sites? :)

> It has to go somewhere. Would you feel better if it went to Yahoo?

Actually, yes. But that just has to do with me disliking MS, and not Smart
Tags in itself. :)

> Or Apple (it they had a
> news page)?    If I want an instant stock quote it doesn't make any
> difference to me where it comes from

:)

> Also, it's OFF by default.   It must be turned ON first.

That's good nes. Hope it stays so until release.

> It's a nice feature that many people will find useful.   Those that
> don't can turn it back OFF (the default).   It's not the big deal some
> folks here seem to think it is.

I don't knwo about others, but I don't think it's a big deal. It's just the
standard MS monopoly move to ultimately take over the world :)

--
Sandman[.net]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: New BSD Advocacy site!
Date: 18 Jun 2001 08:13:59 GMT

Bracy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <9gjroh$2tg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

>> Actually, the BSD camp has good reason to think that linux sucks...
>>
>> Because it does, in comparison to BSD.  :)

> The very fact that the BSDs aren't GPL'ed makes them inferior to Linux.  If
> Microsoft could  choose their enemy, they'd choose BSD, because they can
> steal every line of code in it.

I see you dont actually work with either one.

=====.

--
"George Dubya Bush---the best presidency money can buy"

---obviously some Godless commie heathen faggot bastard

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:14:33 +1200

"green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9gk9qc$jmq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> the what if is a virus gets in to the backup copies of the files and
changes
> them.
> how do you restore?

It also has to update a signature (in the registry I believe), if the
signature doesn't match, the file is wrong.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:32:00 +1200

ppeoe@m wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Glitch" says...
>

>>unfortunately most Windows users are too scared to do any trial and error with
>>*anything*.  That's why they are stupid. They don't ever try anything on
>>their own. They always want someone else to do it and only do enough so
>>the problem gets fixed.  Trial and error learning goes along the ines of
>>exploring your environment or asking the questions why or how something
>>works.  Most users of Windows don't have that type of personality and
>>therefore won't ever venture into the realm  of trial and
>>errror/exploring.
>>

> a computer is a tool for many people. They care less how and why it does
> what it does.  replace 'windows' above with the word 'car' or 'telephone'
> and you'll see the hole you and other Unix/Linux people have themselves
> stuck in for the last 30 years while windows keep gaining more market share
> and more users.
>
> Untill you get the simple idea is that a computer is only a tool for the
> masses, Linux and Unix will remain ignored by the millions of users.
>
> The masses use windows becuase it does not require knowing much to use
> a computer. point and click. the masses do not care why and how it works.
>
> And that is the way it ought to work. I do not care how the car engine works,
> i am simply not interested. as long as it takes me from point A to B, that is
> all I care about.
>

> simple concept, MS figured it out long time ago, the *nix crowds still trying
> to figure what it means after 30 years.

Telephones and cars are task dedicated devices, hence, they are a less
complex device. Also, I would be interested in knowing whether you
change the oil in your car? do you add exta water for the window
cleaner? program the phone for auto-dial?

Matthew Gardiner