On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:03:27 +0900 (JST)
KOSAKI Motohiro <kosaki.motoh...@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> > > Why?
> > > if kernel convert to KB, glibc don't need any change.
> > Where exactly glibc is working with this as KBs? I can't find that place.
> >
> > I looked into sources of time util and maxrss is showed this way:
> > fprintf (fp, "%lu", ptok ((UL) resp->ru.ru_maxrss));
> > ptok() actually does pages_to_KB conversion. If we convert to KB in
> > kernel, this code must be changed.
>
> Ah, you talked about /usr/bin/time? sorry, I misunderstood a bit.
> Why time need number of pages?
>
> In general, getrusage()::ru_maxrss is bsd compatibility feature.
> as far as possible, the same syscall spec is better.
> and bsd use KB unit.
Oh you are right. Now I searched it in FreeBSD kernel. They goes like this:
rss = pgtok(vmspace_resident_count(vm));
if (ru->ru_maxrss < rss)
        ru->ru_maxrss = rss;

Seems pretty reasonable to stick with the same behavior. Then I really
do not understand why /usr/bin/time does the conversion.
FreeBSD /usr/bin/time is very different and much simpler and (of
course) does not do this conversion.

So I suggest to change the patch to fill KB instead of pages and
change /usr/bin/time to not do the conversion. What do you think?