On 2014-10-09 08:34, Duncan wrote:
On Thu, 09 Oct 2014 08:07:51 -0400
Austin S Hemmelgarn <ahferro...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 2014-10-09 07:53, Duncan wrote:
Austin S Hemmelgarn posted on Thu, 09 Oct 2014 07:29:23 -0400 as
excerpted:

Also, you should be running btrfs scrub regularly to correct
bit-rot and force remapping of blocks with read errors.  While
BTRFS technically handles both transparently on reads, it only
corrects thing on disk when you do a scrub.

AFAIK that isn't quite correct.  Currently, the number of copies is
limited to two, meaning if one of the two is bad, there's a 50%
chance of btrfs reading the good one on first try.

If btrfs reads the good copy, it simply uses it.  If btrfs reads
the bad one, it checks the other one and assuming it's good,
replaces the bad one with the good one both for the read (which
otherwise errors out), and by overwriting the bad one.

But here's the rub.  The chances of detecting that bad block are
relatively low in most cases.  First, the system must try reading
it for some reason, but even then, chances are 50% it'll pick the
good one and won't even notice the bad one.

Thus, while btrfs may randomly bump into a bad block and rewrite it
with the good copy, scrub is the only way to systematically detect
and (if there's a good copy) fix these checksum errors.  It's not
that btrfs doesn't do it if it finds them, it's that the chances of
finding them are relatively low, unless you do a scrub, which
systematically checks the entire filesystem (well, other than files
marked nocsum, or nocow, which implies nocsum, or files written
when mounted with nodatacow or nodatasum).

At least that's the way it /should/ work.  I guess it's possible
that btrfs isn't doing those routine "bump-into-it-and-fix-it"
fixes yet, but if so, that's the first /I/ remember reading of it.

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe it doesn't actually fix things on
disk when it detects an error during a read, I know it doesn't it the
fs is mounted ro (even if the media is writable), because I did some
testing to see how 'read-only' mounting a btrfs filesystem really is.

Definitely it won't with a read-only mount.  But then scrub shouldn't
be able to write to a read-only mount either.  The only way a read-only
mount should be writable is if it's mounted (bind-mounted or
btrfs-subvolume-mounted) read-write elsewhere, and the write occurs to
that mount, not the read-only mounted location.
In theory yes, but there are caveats to this, namely:
* atime updates still happen unless you have mounted the fs with noatime
* The superblock gets updated if there are 'any' writes
* The free space cache 'might' be updated if there are any writes

All in all, a BTRFS filesystem mounted ro is much more read-only than say ext4 (which at least updates the sb, and old versions replayed the journal, in addition to the atime updates).

There's even debate about replaying the journal or doing orphan-delete
on read-only mounts (at least on-media, the change could, and arguably
should, occur in RAM and be cached, marking the cache "dirty" at the
same time so it's appropriately flushed if/when the filesystem goes
writable), with some arguing read-only means just that, don't
write /anything/ to it until it's read-write mounted.

But writable-mounted, detected checksum errors (with a good copy
available) should be rewritten as far as I know.  If not, I'd call it
a bug.  The problem is in the detection, not in the rewriting.  Scrub's
the only way to reliably detect these errors since it's the only thing
that systematically checks /everything/.

Also, that's a much better description of how multiple copies work
than I could probably have ever given.

Thanks.  =:^)