On 10/10/2014 16:37, Chris Murphy wrote:
The fail safe behavior is to treat the known good tree root as the default tree
root, and bypass the bad tree root if it cannot be repaired, so that the volume
can be mounted with default mount options (i.e. the ones in fstab). Otherwise
it's a filesystem that isn't well suited for general purpose use as rootfs let
alone for boot.

A filesystem which is suited for "general purpose" use is a filesystem which honors fsync, and doesn't *ever* auto-roll-back without user intervention.

Anything different is not suited for database transactions at all. Any paid service which has the users database on btrfs is going to be at risk of losing payments, and probably without the company even knowing. If btrfs goes this way I hope a big warning is written on the wiki and on the manpages telling that this filesystem is totally unsuitable for hosting databases performing transactions.

At most I can suggest that a flag in the metadata be added to allow/disallow auto-roll-back-on-error on such filesystem, so people can decide the "tolerant" vs. "transaction-safe" mode at filesystem creation.