As I am writing some documentation abount creating snapshots:
Is there a generic name for both volume and subvolume root?

Example:

root@fex:~# btrfs subvol show /mnt
ERROR: not a subvolume: /mnt

root@fex:~# btrfs subvol show /mnt/test
/mnt/test is toplevel subvolume

root@fex:~# btrfs subvol show /mnt/test/data
/mnt/test/data
        Name:                   data
        UUID:                   b32a5949-dfd6-ef45-8616-34ae4cdf6fb8
(...)

root@fex:~# btrfs subvol show /mnt/test/data/sw
ERROR: not a subvolume: /mnt/test/data/sw

I can create snapshots of /mnt/test and /mnt/test/data, but not of /mnt
and /mnt/test/data/sw

Is there a simple name for directories I can snapshot?

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK