On 2017年09月09日 18:48, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
On Sat 2017-09-09 (18:40), Qu Wenruo wrote:

Is there a generic name for both volume and subvolume root?

Nope, subvolume (including snapshot) is not distinguished by its
filename/path/directory name.

And you can only do snapshot on subvolume (snapshot is one kind of
subvolume) boundary.

So, I can name a btrfs root volume also btrfs subvolume?

Yes, root volume is also a subvolume, so just call "btrfs root volume"
a "subvolume".

I am talking about documentation, not coding!

I just want yo use the correct terms.

If you're referring to the term, I think subvolume is good enough.
Which represents your original term, "directories one can snapshot".

For the whole btrfs "volume", I would just call it "filesystem" to avoid the name "volume" or "subvolume" at all.

Thanks,
Qu