LPI Advisory Council Members,

After much research, Linuxcare recently decided to open its first
European
office in Amsterdam.  As part of this effort, we began contacting people
we knew in the Amsterdam area who were knowledgable about Linux to
determine
if they would be available for employment.  We had seen Tom Peters
activity
with LPI, were impressed with what he was doing, and contacted him in
the
course of our search.  We learned that in fact Tom was ending a research
contract and was about to start actively searching for future
employment.

After learning of Tom's availability, we had some lengthy internal
debate
about the wisdom of bringing Tom on board.  We were (and continue to be)
very concerned about any even minor perceptions that the LPI process
would
be biased toward any one company.  While we were aware that the LPI
Board
maintains a policy that no more than 2 of its 6 (in the near future, 7)
Board members can be employed by the same company, we recognized that as
we already employ Dan York, bringing on Tom would in fact mean that
Linuxcare
would employ two of the current LPI Board members and we were concerned
about
how that might be perceived.

In the end, we felt that the value that could be gained by having Tom
employed by a Linux-related company (rather than by some company in
another
industry) was too great and we did not want to see his level of activity
with LPI greatly reduced because of outside employment concerns. With
that in mind, and after Tom discussed the matter with the other LPI
Board
members, we finalized a relationship where Tom will join Linuxcare as a
technical writer.

FYI, Tom is the Secretary of the Board of LPI and is also charged with
program development.  With less spare time due to new responsibilities
within Linuxcare and with the program for LPI level 1 essentially
finished, in the future Tom will be less involved with exam development
and concentrate more on his LPI secretarial tasks.

I hope that this action on our part will be viewed as a positive step
and
I would be glad to communicate with any of you about this matter. Please
feel free to contact me using the information below.

Jim

--
Jim Schweizer, Director, Education and Certification
415 354-4878 x340 tel, 415 701-7457 fax