On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, A.R. (Tom) Peters wrote:
>
> > administration.  Since we will be certifying a specific level of
> > expertise, the breakdown into multiple exams is a matter of convenience
> > (or whim).  I see no reason to require any order.
>
> I agree with Tom in principle.  But as a practical matter, we know that
> tests (no tests, not even those as fine as we have created/are creating)
> are perfect. If we allow people to take T2 exams first, some small
> proportion of people could pass T2 without being able to pass T1.
>
> Therefore I prefer Chuck's solution that examinees take (I would say
> *pass*) T1 before being allowed to take any T2 exam.  This policy will
> increase the validity of the LPI program.  There doesn't seem to be much
> opposition to allowing different orders within a level and I concur.

(I hope this list still works)
  Alan, first you say people should pass the test(s) 1(a and|or b) before
doing a test 2 (=distribution-specific exam).  But at the end you say most
people would agree to allow taking exams within a level in different
orders.  This is in conflict.  Are you by any chance confusing Test 1,2
with Level 1,2?
  The proposal is to allow tests from the same level to be taken in any
order.  For the first level of LPI certification these are test 1a and 1b
(the original test 1 has been split for the convenience of the
candidates), and any of the distribution-specific tests 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d, 2e
or 2f.  We already have a policy that candidates must start with Level 1
and get the certification for the different levels in order.

--

        Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters
                NL-1062 KD nr 149       tel.    +31-204080204
                        Amsterdam       e-mail  [EMAIL PROTECTED]