Am Freitag, 17. April 2015, 21:11:37 schrieb Herbert Xu:

Hi Herbert,

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 02:48:51PM +0200, Stephan Mueller wrote:
> > Do you really think that this is possible? If the DRBG becomes the stdrng,
> > you would imply that those callers (e.g. IPSEC) may suffer from a long
> > block (and with long I mean not just seconds, but minutes).
>
> It's only 49 bytes for every 64K so I think it's reasonable.

Just an FYI on a test I did once: on a headless PPC (POWER6), we drained
/dev/random (simply do a cat /dev/random). Then it took more than 20 hours(!)
to get 48 bytes to seed OpenSSL from /dev/random. This test was done on some
2.6.32 kernel.

That issue should be better now considering that interrupts are used as noise
source by /dev/random.

Furthermore, it gets worse again considering that there is work underway to
disable SSDs to feed /dev/random. Thus, on a server that is headless but has
SSDs we only have interrupts feeding into /dev/random.

Thus, getting a full seed of 384 bits is minutes on a headless system will
definitely be a challenge in a worst case.

> The only reason someone would use this is to comply with the
> standard and this is what the standard requires so I don't see
> how we can do anything else.

I do not see a definite quality requirement of the seed source in SP800-90A.
In user space, FIPS validations happily used /dev/urandom where NIST has no
concern.

Currently, there is a draft interpretation that tightens the issue around
/dev/urandom significantly. Therefore, looking into the issue is definitely
important. But still, blocking the DRBG right from the start until we have
data from /dev/random does not seem helpful either.

--
Ciao
Stephan