Hi Tobin,

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 6:02 AM, Tobin C. Harding <m...@tobin.cc> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 07:53:18AM -0700, Stephen Brennan wrote:
>> Simply break down some long lines and tab-indent them.
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
> Welcome to the Linux kernel. Great that you have put in a patch, you are,
> however, unlikely to see
> success fixing 'line over 80' warnings. There are a bunch of arguments for
> and against the line over
> 80 limit, a web search will surely show them to you. The TL;DR is that it
> these changes do not
> _really_ improve the readability of the code, they are just changes to quiet
> the static analysis
> tool.

I completely agree with you that the end target is more readable code
and that lines over 80 char is
only a symptom but I do think in this case there is something useful to do.

Perhaps, if Stephen is willing, re-write the code to be more readable
by, for example, using a temp
variable for the register address, and in doing so both making the
code more readable as well as
treating the symptom?

Thanks,
Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef
Chief Coffee Drinker

"If you take a class in large-scale robotics, can you end up in a
situation where the homework eats your dog?"
 -- Jean-Baptiste Queru